Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Audessey questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject: Audessey questions Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have 2 integra amps and 1 integra pre pro. Audessey is a mystery to me. When I do get it to work (which isn't often) it turns off my center and surrounds (sometimes just the surrounds but never the rear back surrounds. I can go back through the settings and turn them back on but is the Audessey configuring them ? I have no way of knowing for sure. Is this normal ? If not is there a reasonably simple solution ? It wont calculate until you set 3 positions minimum but then I can never get it to go past 6 positions, usually 5 is the most it will do. Today I got it up to 6 but again after calculating and saving the center and surrounds were turned off and I had to go back into settings and turn them back on. Its making me crazy.
Thanks for any help.

jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran through it 3 times. Same results. Sounds pretty good.Changed everthing but the subs to 80 hz. It seems to muddy up the center though, thinking of dropping the center back to 40 hz.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've had so much trouble with that Integra, Jeff. I'd tell you to just replace the Integra, but you've had so much trouble, I'm as suspicious of the amps or wiring as I am of the Integra.

No, Audyssey shouldn't just turn off speakers. If it turned them off, it's not detecting them for some reason. My guess is because something is wrong... With the prepro, the wiring, the amp, or the speaker. Something is amiss. Regardless, if it turns them off, they're not getting EQ'd.

Do any of the amps have gains? If so, where are they set? If the levels were too low, that could cause Audyssey to not detect them. If the levels are appropriate, the chirp sounds should be quite obnoxious if you're in the room. You might try swapping the center to one of the channels that one of the mains is currently connected to. If the "turned off" problem follows the move, or you get an error, it could be a problem with the amp or the wiring. That reminds me of another thing... Have you tried reversing polarity on the center for instance just to see what happens?

How about noise? Do you have any loud background noise like an air handler on the furnace/A/C? Lots of noise can totally screw with the test procedure.

As for number of positions, there are different schools of thought. By taking multiple measurements, you're compromising all positions for better balance between the positions. For instance, in my old room, I had a pretty node in the back row, which Audyssey would correctly try to EQ out a little - a compromise. So, I'd end up with a smaller node in the back row, but reduced bass centered around that frequency in my main listening position. I chose to just EQ my front three chairs, and not compromise the experience there to try to make the back row better (which was rarely used compared to the front row).

So, it may seem counter-intuitive, but I'd try it with fewer positions - as few as possible, actually. If three is the minimum, do the three chairs that are most likely and see what you think.

All your speakers should be crossed over at 60-80 hz unless they're large floor-standers. 40 hz is probably too low unless it's a large tower-style center.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 7 speakers are Polk rti a9's. I have swapped out amps, re ran speaker wires, replaced cables ran Audessy with and without the EQ's. Ran a complete test disc. Checked polarity etc...etc...etc... I am using a pre pro that I know worked fine before. I might re run audessy later this week to only 3 places. As far as noise goes I run it after midnite to eliminate any possible outside noise and turn off every breaker except the ones I have installed that are for the HT only. Its quiet as a tomb.
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran Audessey again today to 3 places. Before doing that I measured everything (again) re checked all the levels,phase etc...
After saving and checking it STILL turned off the surrounds. I am at a complete loss. I am starting to think that Audessey is a myth.

jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK one question, what would happen if I set up Audessey telling it the fronts are Bi amped ? ( they're not) I read a blurb in the manual that said it would recognize 7.2 IF the fronts are BI AMPED. Anybody ?
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been working on this off and on it still turns off the surrounds. Been to several Stereo forums, seems that I am not the only one that has these issues. I was getting excited about Atmos but not if I cant get Audessey to work. What would be the point ?
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffslife wrote:
Been working on this off and on it still turns off the surrounds. Been to several Stereo forums, seems that I am not the only one that has these issues. I was getting excited about Atmos but not if I cant get Audessey to work. What would be the point ?

I never had a single issue like this, Jeff. Not once did Audyssey ever turn off my speakers. If you've checked and cross-checked and verified all the amps and cabling are good, my suspicion is that something is wrong with the preamp itself.

As for Atmos, you can run Atmos without Audyssey, the two have nothing to do with each other, and running Atmos with out Audyssey is just fine. In fact, I ran my system for the last couple of years without Audyssey. I tried manual EQ in the Integra and a spectrum analyzer and adjusted the EQ manually, and I actually preferred the sound to the Audyssey solution. I thought it just sounded better with my room and speakers.

Your mileage may vary, but if you're willing to go to a little work, and you only have one row to really worry about, and you'd rather not compromise your main listening position to make a second less-used row sound better, I'd recommend not using Audyssey, anyway.

Cheers,
SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 10, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't the pre pro it worked before. I have given up on it. Summer is almost here, Race club soon. I will do like you suggested and run without it. Its just not worth it. Thank you Very much for your help. Jeff
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 10, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't the pre pro it worked before. I have given up on it. Summer is almost here, Race club soon. I will do like you suggested and run without it. Its just not worth it. Thank you Very much for your help. Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: