Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Got a Sony kd-34XBR970 today
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:24 am    Post subject: Got a Sony kd-34XBR970 today Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I had been toying with getting this set for the past week and finally caved and got it today

I have to say the picture quality is amazing and the set is a beast(weighs as much as my rear pro Sony set sheesh it's HEAVY)

Anyway I figured out to get into the service menu(though I am afraid to mess with anything without a manual)

I have noticed while watching a movie(Jurassic world) that the set has a top and bottom bow issue(it seems as if someone has been in the service menu before

Otherwise the set give a awesome hd pic from my htpc via the hdmi

I had my dad help me get the set in the house and we about killed our backs just getting it out of my truck(totally worth it though haha)

I could use a service manual ASAP

Thanks in advance[/code]

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One year too new but congratulations anyways Wink

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ar I will post pics tomorrow

I love it despite its girth haha

With ota the geometry issue is visible(still can tell its there) but it's tolerable for now

It's my third Sony set and first 16:9 direct view crt set

I have a Phillips set that hd ready that I plan on selling soon since I have this set

I looked into it and the set weighs as much as my rear projection Sony hdtv xbr set(which luckily has casters)

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a service manual(yoo hoo!!)

Fixed the issue some but the right side still droops down and it's bugging the crap out of me

Someone had been in the service menu before as some of the settings was off from what the manual lists(I am going to go through them and set them to Sony spec)

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN FIRST

CRT.

HD done right!
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me the first time I got into it I was afraid to adjust anything(especially not knowing what did what) why couldn't Sony make the service menu like Phillips did on the crt tvs (much easier to work with or so it seemed to me at least)

The service manual does have a list of the factory specs but I am not going to just dick around in the menu without making sure I can revert anything back

No way am I going to take chances and brick this awesome set by messing with settings I don't need to(or know what they do)

I watched some hd tv shows on it and wow it gives a sharp picture

Going to go over the whole manual before messing with it again but I did find out(via the service manual) on how to pull up the left side (haven't started on the right) and it looks better then it did before

The set had a bit of convergence issues in the corners(my guess is from the previous owner messing around in the service menu)

Keep in mind this isn't my first Sony set(I have a couple rear pro hdtv sets from Sony)

Will update when and if I get the time to mess with it more(after I read the service manual and make notes of the settings)

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now to blow your mind....look for a SONY XBR960 also available in a 30" as well as the 34" it's the year previous to yours and sharper.

I have the 30".

CRT.

HD done right!
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had that model but given direct view hdtv sets like this are harder to find then most think in my area(I know how it sounds) I am lucky to have got this one
Plus at the price I got it at you would have thought I stole it(no joke I got it for under 40 dollars and it still gets around 500 on Amazon or eBay)

I wouldn't mind doing a side by side comparison of the two(provided there was someone near me who had one STILL)

I have read the reviews of your set(sadly it was after I got mine) and they are high(reviews are high on my set also)

One question why is this beast so freaking heavy??(I have had projection tvs that doesn't tip the scales as much as this set does) is this a normal thing with the Sony direct view sets(this set weighs as much as my KP-57WS510(which thankfully has casters on it) if not more (had to use a hand cart to just get it in the house and that's with my dad helping me get it out of my truck)

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front glass is 2-3" thick and leaded.

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want heavy see the XBR800 40" 4:3 direct view. 420ish lbs

CRT.

HD done right!
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the KD34XBR970 myself, since brand new in fact (Still have the massive original box for it too! as well as the aesthetically pleasing stand.

I know the bow you are talking about. If you search avs forums on their direct view CRT section (if it still exists) this is a widely known issue with the model. I know how intimidating the service menu is as well, but having worked with sony SM's before, I knew what the abbreviations meant. My set is bow free, and I even reduced the overscan too. AR is right, its not as crispy as a 960, but its not bad either, and yes, it is a beast!

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heaviest tv I own is my mits which comes in around 300(it's a 65 incher) and they made a 75 inch version(which had the 9 inch guns)

Don't ask how I managed to get it into my workshop Shocked but it was no picnic just getting it off the trailer and no I didn't split the set in half(yes it can be split in two and then packed in)

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the big E wrote:
One question why is this beast so freaking heavy??(I have had projection tvs that doesn't tip the scales as much as this set does) is this a normal thing with the Sony direct view sets

Yes. Mr. Green

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should try taking it to a 2nd story room, for a 115lb dude and his old man, that was no easy task, took 30 minutes and about 4 or 5 breaks with it sitting on the stairs Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
I own the KD34XBR970 myself, since brand new in fact (Still have the massive original box for it too! as well as the aesthetically pleasing stand.

I know the bow you are talking about. If you search avs forums on their direct view CRT section (if it still exists) this is a widely known issue with the model. I know how intimidating the service menu is as well, but having worked with sony SM's before, I knew what the abbreviations meant. My set is bow free, and I even reduced the overscan too. AR is right, its not as crispy as a 960, but its not bad either, and yes, it is a beast!

I managed to find a service manual but I have still not read it fully any tips will be great

I knew they had a stand for it(surprised it could hold the beast given the looks of it)wouldn't mind getting one for it sometime(I have seen them on eBay)

I will load my test disc and check the overscan on it while I am at it

If it will help I can snap a pic of how the set looks now if it will help(maybe you can help me out on getting it straight)

It does give a nice picture that's the truth

I did Google for it and the Avs forum(may just go on there and then search to get better results)

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
You should try taking it to a 2nd story room, for a 115lb dude and his old man, that was no easy task, took 30 minutes and about 4 or 5 breaks with it sitting on the stairs Very Happy

I don't think my back would have held out(much less my dad's)

I am around 135lb

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh thanks for clearing that one up on the second question

I have three Sony sets and two are close in weight(this set and my kp-57WS510) I have a sxrd set and it was no fun moving it despite it being the lightest of the three

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I read the manual fully and where I thought it had saved the adjustments I made to the picture at the top it didn't as I forgot it's a two button save mode

Crap

It does give me the chance to get all the current settings before I adjust anything

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the big E wrote:
Well I read the manual fully and where I thought it had saved the adjustments I made to the picture at the top it didn't as I forgot it's a two button save mode

Crap

It does give me the chance to get all the current settings before I adjust anything

"It's 2am, I randomly google my RCA RPTV. I find the service menu settings. I proceed to do a 180 something point alignment, it's 3:30am, my eyes are bugging out and it's time to sleep. The picture has never looked better! I forget to save the settings...."

CRT.

HD done right!
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the same exact time when I did that haha

Oh well live and learn

Makes me miss the old days when the picture controls was analog haha

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: