Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Suddenly it's 1968 Zenith TV alignment

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: Suddenly it's 1968 Zenith TV alignment Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Zenith TV alignment with your 1968 High School Shop teacher....or was he one of the guys that worked at Cape Canaveral? Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8eK2CyDmiY

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was cringing at the screaming the tv's speaker was doing but awesome video

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I stepped back in time.

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My nostalgia nerve has been stimulated!

I think we have progressively lost something valuable as manufacturing steadily has moved away from hand-crafted, labor-intensive products that bear a great deal of the human touch in their construction and moved toward, today, devices that literally are built without a single human touching them at any point during the manufacturing process.

Progress marches forward, but I find that I am very appreciative of all the hand work that went into the classic 50s/early 60s TV sets, with real wood cabinets made in real cabinet shops by real cabinetmakers and chassis that are hand wired with point to point construction and there wasn't a robot to be found anywhere. You know that every single connection, every screw, every part, was installed by a real person, a fellow American, so many years ago. Then they started to get rid of the wood cabinets and replace them with plastic, and started making everything with automated machinery, first a little, now every single part, practically.

And after all that, the new TVs don't have the longevity of the old sets. Engineering for long life, reliability, and ease of service
has sadly become passe' and too old school to be considered.

I think it's one of the reasons I like my Marquee CRT projector. It may not have a wood cabinet but it's a durable, long lasting
unit. Mine is 19 years old right now by the date on the manufacturer's label, and there isn't any reason why it can't last another 20 years or more, especially if I have spare tubes for it. (I do.) This projector is built more like an old TV. It'll last. And it already has. I can't even count how many generations of digital projector it has outlasted, too.
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was in the 90's that the wood look went away even in direct view sets

Take my rca for exsample it was made in the 80's in Canada (I can post pics to prove it)nice set for its age and the tubes are barely showing any wear

Looking into the back and it's a nest of wires for everything and knobs galore(for the picture geometry controls)the user controls(aside from the convergence and picture controls) are push button

Love it and use it for gaming currently(going to hook up a converter box so it can be used for ota

My dad has a old philco tv and it still works great(not sure on the age but it's a floor model)

I miss the old days when stuff was built and meant to last

CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I spent my youth. Smile
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think it's fantastic that such a simple device, the CRT, can be used to generate high quality imagery, when every other
display technology is enormously more complicated and it has taken decades and many hundreds of millions of dollars to get
the newer display technologies working as well as a glass tube with a layer of phosphor at one end and an electron gun at the other.

Now sweep the beam with ramp generators driving deflection coils, modulate the drive current, and you've got a picture.

So simple, yet it works so well.
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I agree
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: