Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

The Abyss - just now on chl 3 Sweden 2016

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:28 am    Post subject: The Abyss - just now on chl 3 Sweden 2016 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Whenever is this - The Goonies - Raders of the last ark - Terminator 2 worthy movie ever get a Blu-ray copy.. and now that we are in 4K terrortory these days, even a 4K version coming out? I'll bet in 2019 to make it an even 30 years.

The Abyss! Damnit.

Last edited by thewolfman on Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have fond memories of this movie, it was my "Demo tape" when I got my first "home theater". Back then, it was dolby Pro logic 5 channel with sub-woofer, a 4 head VCR tape deck, and a 32" TV. Back then you could only get the surround sound from a dedicated hi-fi shop.

played that tape till it seized up, can't believe it never released on BD?
View user's photo album (2 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must have to do with the divorce.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like it has to do with Fox, the most worthless corporation in television/movie history . At least there's an HD transfer out there in widescreen which played on Cable. I guess the DVD isn't even anamorphic

Why hasn't Abyss been released on BD

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/3h4yw8/why_isnt_james_camerons_the_abyss_available_on/

Quote:
An excellent question and no one seems to know. There was a new HD transfer done for the film a year or two ago. It's aired on HBO and looks beautiful. As for extras, I'd be happy if they simply put all the existing DVD/LD extras on a Blu-Ray and called it a day. They missed the 25th anniversary last year and I'd hate to think Cameron is putting it off till he's done with Avatar sequels - if that's the case, it might be a while!

This is from The Digital Bits last October:

Finally today, last night’s Terminator: 30th Anniversary screening at Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood (sponsored by the American Cinematheque and Fox Home Entertainment) would have been a great opportunity to ask director James Cameron when The Abyss and True Lies are finally going to be released on Blu-ray. As you all know full well by now, both films celebrate major anniversaries this year. Though Arnold Schwarzenegger was unable to attend the event due to illness, Cameron was on hand along with producer Gale Anne Hurd. A Q&A was held afterward moderated by Geoff Boucher from L.A. Times/Hero Complex. Short of actually being on hand myself (I couldn’t make it due to a schedule conflict), I did everything possible to ensure that Cameron was at least asked the question. Fortunately, he was. Unfortunately, no answer was forthcoming. Bits reader Jeremy W. (who was there at the screening) reports that during the Q&A, Cameron apparently said the first question Gale Anne Hurd asked him when they met earlier in the evening was “When is Abyss coming on BD?” In response, Cameron pointed the head of Fox Home Entertainment out in the crowd. And that was it. So it sounds as if the delay in releasing both titles sits on Fox alone. (Cameron seems to want us to think that at any rate: Fox isn’t commenting thus far.) Honestly, does anyone else think this is starting to get ridiculous?

Quote:
It's up to Fox and I think they have no interest at the moment. Neither The Abyss nor True Lies are part of a franchise that they can tie-in a remastered Blu-ray to(they re-released a 4K Terminator before Genisys, a "remastered" Predator before Predators, a 4K Robocop before their remake), and James Cameron's next movie isn't out for a while. The movies are too big to just be randomly dumped but too small to make their release some big event. The Abyss is Cameron's least successful film, so it's been treated like sh*t on DVD and Fox skipped the 25th anniversary in 2014.

Apparently they've been restored and are pretty much ready. When they asked James Cameron he basically said it's Fox's ultimate decision. We might not get them until Avatar 2 is out and James Cameron's name is at full hype.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also wondered if Fox was not interested in that they would predict money spent on producing the BD title and not getting sufficient sales to justify efforts. If you look at the movie's original box office, it barely broke even and was considered a commercial failure. I guess Fox thinks the same will happen with the BD and instead of just selling the rights to someone else they'd smite the world for not going to the box office by letting it rot in their coffin in hell.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you hit the nail on the head, Fox has no interest in doing anything without a big enough profit margin. It's a corporation= mindless money machine. I mean burning it to discs would be peanuts for them, the HD transfer is done, but somewhere a corporate bean counter has calculated the profit margin at 2.5% where 3% is considered the minimum.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wonder, though, about HD transfers. For instance, I doubt anything done for so called HD on television is worth of an HD label. Sure it is probably better than DVD, but I doubt any effort done for TV presentation (cable/DBS) can muster itself anywhere near the limits of vanilla Blu-ray, and we aren't even talking about anything beyond BD.

And for those TV presentation projects I bet Fox isn't the one doing the work. I'm betting Fox set the limits on any efforts designed for TV broadcast so that the end result is a shortcoming. It is a double-edge sword of meeting a low-budget presentation effort for TV people and those of costs.

But Fox is an ******* for not just selling the title to someone else that is willing to invest their money in it and not have something just sit and rot. There are a good many number of titles I would like to get on BD but unfortunately like this movie there just isn't enough interest in getting them on better transfers than the mediocre TV version of so called HD.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: