Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Red Convergence

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
racerxnet

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:59 am    Post subject: Red Convergence Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am having problems with the Red convergence. I do a mechanical alignment to the green with the Red and Blue, and while doing a convergence, the very outer edges of the Red will not align with the Green and Blue. I hit the limit with the remote moving the horizontal bottom right and upper right on the Red. Mechanical alignment is right on top in the center rectangle. I reset all convergence settings and started from scratch from the service menu. Please give me your suggestions.

Thanks,

Mark Sad
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might start by telling what kind of projector you are using. It makes a big difference.

Only Marquees offer raster centering by adjustments to the focus yoke.

First things first, though: Basic mechanical centering. Zero out all convergence and geometry adjustments. Zero out the CPC rings, too.

In fact, UNPLUG the convergence and focus yokes. Center up the rasters in each CRT. Re-aim the red and blue CRT assemblies to match up to green right in the center of the image.
racerxnet

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
You might start by telling what kind of projector you are using. It makes a big difference.

Only Marquees offer raster centering by adjustments to the focus yoke.

First things first, though: Basic mechanical centering. Zero out all convergence and geometry adjustments. Zero out the CPC rings, too.

In fact, UNPLUG the convergence and focus yokes. Center up the rasters in each CRT. Re-aim the red and blue CRT assemblies to match up to green right in the center of the image.

Sorry Guys,

Its a 1995 Marquee 8500 A/C unit. I didn't unplug the leads as you stated but did all the other mentioned alignments as stated above. I'll unplug the leads and see if the alignment changes mechanically.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an important part of the overall alignment process. If there's a bias on the convergence or focus circuits, you'll see the picture snap toward the center when you unplug convergence or focus after you've already zeroed out their adjustments.

That bias can keep you from getting full use of convergence.

Just be really careful not to unplug a DEFLECTION coil while the machine is operating. That would be bad.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I've tried to spot burn a Marquee by unplugging the H and V yoke leads while running, and it refuses to do so!

Why did I do this? Because many years ago I installed a 9500 Ultra in edmonton, and shortly thereafter, the customer said that there were lines burned in the pix. I freaked, and tried duplicating the problem with a toasted tube set, and couldn't spot or line burn the tubes. He did have a power outage, so I took a risk, and drove back 12 hours 1 way to find that there was a tiny bit of banding that I didn't catch upon initial setup. My bad!

That aside... disconnect the astig and convergence connectors, and use the focus yoke movement to center the crosshatch in the middle of the set. There are two sections to the focus yoke, held together by 3 brass bolts and wingnuts, and a dab of glue. Loosen the wingnuts, (don't take them off!), and use an Xacto blade to loosen the yokes. A little movement moves the raster a whole lot, and make sure you're not overshooting the edges of the tubes. Once that's aligned in the middle, you can use the coils along the top edge of the HDM to narrow or widen the rasters to match on the extreme left and right sides as close as possible. Once that's all done, reset the tube magnet astig before connecting the astig connectors.

Obviously connect and disconnect all plugs while the set is off, and make sure you don't put the convergence board connectors 1 pin off, or you'll smoke the convergence board!
racerxnet

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
That is an important part of the overall alignment process. If there's a bias on the convergence or focus circuits, you'll see the picture snap toward the center when you unplug convergence or focus after you've already zeroed out their adjustments.

Just be really careful not to unplug a DEFLECTION coil while the machine is operating. That would be bad.

I'll be careful and unplug the leads and then power up the unit. I marked the center of the tube face and positioned the center grid over it on the 3 tubes after zeroing everything in the service menu. I'm curious if unplugging the leads changes the position of any grid.

Thanks,

Mark
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Curt mentions matching red green and blue widths, you will also want to match heights in the service menu.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, when checking for possible bias issues with convergence or focus, you WANT the projector to be turned on and running.

This applies to astig, too.

If you don't SEE the difference when you remove or install the plug, you won't KNOW how much difference there is.

It's perfectly safe to disconnect or reconnect, focus, convergence, or astig while the projector is running. The only sacred plugs are the two DEFLECTION plugs per tube assembly. You don't want to mess with THOSE while the PJ is powered up.

My baseline alignment is to disconnect those three plugs (focus, astig, and convergence) and zero out the CPC adjustments, then adjust the (stock Thomson type) focus yoke to be mechancially centered so that the front and back half shells are aligned with each other on all sides. I would like to avoid shifting the focus yoke body laterally if it can be avoided, but that may be necessary.

I then use the 2 pole adjustment CPC ring to center the raster on the tube faces, using the all white raster screen.
Then I bring up the convergence grid and mechanically center the tubes on green.

There's usually a balancing act you have to perform when it comes to raster centering as this can be achieved with both the
shift feature of the focus yoke and the 2 pole centering function of the CPC rings. The best possible alignment may require you to adjust both of them. Your guide is the shape of the dots in the convergence patterns when you defocus the tubes electronically. You want the defocused pattern to be as circular as possible and evenly balanced on all sides.

The built-in guide in the Marquee (HELP button on the remote!) is good but it's only a guide, not a compete and comprehensive instruction manual on how to get a perfect setup. Your own judgement plays a big part in getting a perfect setup.
That sometimes involves going back and retouching a previous adjustment.

Pro tip: To get the linearity correct, find or draw your own simple corner-to-corner X pattern and display it. Only when linearity is set correctly will the diagonal lines all be straight lines. Any linearity problem will bend the lines. There is NO test pattern that is better for linearity adjustments than a simple X pattern that spans from corner to corner of the viewable area.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

racerxnet wrote:
cmjohnson wrote:

I'll be careful and unplug the leads and then power up the unit. I marked the center of the tube face and positioned the center grid over it on the 3 tubes after zeroing everything in the service menu. I'm curious if unplugging the leads changes the position of any grid.

Thanks,

Mark

That's one of the points of this procedure. IF the adjustmentes are electronically centered (value of 50 in all cases) then the center position of the grid should NOT move. Or barely at most.

If they DO move then it indicates some amount of bias in the associated circuit. That bias will reduce the amount of available convergence authority you have in the other direction.

For example, if the grid moves to the left when you unplug the focus coil, then you may not be able to pull it far enough to the right to converge some point on the grid, IF the bias is strong enough.

But, more importantly, if there is a bias, then the driver board for that function should be replaced.
racerxnet

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After zeroing out the projector I pulled the astig and convergence plugs with a grid on screen. There was quite a bit of movement on the Red and Green when the convergence plugs were pulled from the board. There was no movement from pulling the Astig plugs. Should I be concerned that there is a problem with the convergence board. I'd say there is about a 1/2 inch of movement while plugging and unplugging the convergence leads. I've pulled the HDM, focus boards and checked for any bad caps on everything. None bulging or leaking.

Mark

Last edited by racerxnet on Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say Mark

Movement is only a concern if the CENTER moves, that is done through the scan yokes. Get a 0.10" hex head plastic width coil tool and match the red and blue raster widths to green. And the heights.

Look at this: http://www.etechvideo.com/techtip9.htm

and scroll down, read everything below PIC 19
racerxnet

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim in Phoenix wrote:
Say Mark

Movement is only a concern if the CENTER moves, that is done through the scan yokes. Get a 0.10" hex head plastic width coil tool and match the red and blue raster widths to green. And the heights.

Look at this: http://www.etechvideo.com/techtip9.htm

and scroll down, read everything below PIC 19

Hi Tim,

I downloaded your tech tip and the Green center does move about 1/2 inch when plugging/unplugging the convergence lead. Movement is in the horizontal direction. Actually all of them move approximately the same amount when testing. Everything verified at 50.

Mark
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

That is not significant. Proceed with height and width matching.
racerxnet

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

I redid the mechanical focus on the lenses with the leads unplugged. I still have about a 2 inch bow at the top and bottom Red right hand side relative to the Blue and Green. That being with the center grid overlapped on each color. Raster is centered on the tube face. I am concerned that the Red convergence will hit the limit electrically because it is so far away from the other 2 colored grids on the right hand side.

IMG_0946.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  113.34 KB
 Viewed:  11066 Time(s)

IMG_0946.JPG

IMG_0945.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.26 KB

IMG_0945.JPG

IMG_0944.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  50.8 KB

IMG_0944.JPG

cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll converge out easily. No problem.

Generally the amount of shift available in covergence is about 1 and 1/2 grid squares. You need about HALF a grid square's worth. No problem at all.

If you have the ACON system, use it to get started. It's cool to watch it in operation anyway.
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I have fully advised you how to fix this.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim's advice is highly reliable. Do as he says and you'll be in a good position to start the convergence process.

We have all those geometry controls to help fix what's not right.

Be sure you center up the linearity controls, too.
racerxnet

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim in Phoenix wrote:
Hello

I have fully advised you how to fix this.

Tim and CM,

I've done what has been suggested and am able to get the convergence overlaying each other.

Thanks for your input. It's appreciated.

Mark
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything those guys said, except I don't like telling new people to pull plugs in a dark room. It's too easy to re-install one and have 1 pin off (3 on 3 vs. 4 on 4 ) , and you'll blow that convergence channel instantly on power up.

zeroing out convergence is easier, just push the number zero while in any convergence menu, and then again in the " service mode" to zero out green. centering the grids in the tube face by using the center square only(this is done with deflection and doesn't use the convergence circuit at all). Then pivoting tubes to line up edges of grids.
Look at grid sizes, all 6 edges should be very close. If any grid is too tall, adjust in service menu under RGB heights .

If any grid is too wide, adjust with special plastic tool (I have some here I usually send people with their board packages)

Once all 3 grids as as close to the same size as possible, converge green to square up to screen. You source must be on, you are converging one specific resolution at any given time. If you have multiple resolutions from different devices, you will need ot use channels to save a different recall memory for each one.

then finally do a fill interpolated converge for R & B to green. Follow up with a Guided or zone convergence to get it perfect.

You can go deeper than this of course by tweaking yokes but this is an easy and fool proof approach for beginners on the marquee chassis.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a flashlight in hand any time you are even thinking about sticking your hand into a running CRT projector.

If you do pull any plugs, use the light, put them on right, don't do it by feel.

I only pull plugs to set up the basic mechanical alignment. After that it's all done with all plugs connected and the related
function's settings at their zero or centered values until it's time to make those adjustments to that function. (Focus first, astig later.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: