Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

How do i service the main power supply?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barcodude

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: How do i service the main power supply? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Question:

how do i service the 17v trim pod on the main power supply on a barco graphics 801s?
i read some thing about it but no details were to put the voltage meter, and what's the diffrence between the two
17v trimpods in the picture?

Barco800image023.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  123.95 KB
 Viewed:  9531 Time(s)

Barco800image023.jpg

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the left one in the picture is a trimpot. The one on the right side is the test point. I guess is just the wrong text right there.
Just put the black probe (crocodile) on the metal chassis somewhere, the red one on the test point (pin on the right side) and adjust the potentiometer (left side) for a reading of 17v DC.
barcodude

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's! and do you know why my new power supply has no white block on it? only a metal plate

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea. If you mean the big trafo, it should be there on all SMPS's from 800, 801 and 808 series projectors. Yours is missing or you are confusing the board with the SMPS2+G2 board.
Does your projector is functioning properly with this board mounted ?
barcodude

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hulio wrote:
No idea. If you mean the big trafo, it should be there on all SMPS's from 800, 801 and 808 series projectors. Yours is missing or you are confusing the board with the SMPS2+G2 board.
Does your projector is functioning properly with this board mounted ?

weird Embarassed the one i'm using is with the white block the other came with my second pj and the boards are identical only missing white block. So the other one is no good? i don't even know how the SMPS2 looks like. I tested the board without the white block and it had the same functions as the one with the white block only my pj wouldn't act right. Confused

CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, 12+ years and it's the first time someone has pointed that out! I've linked to it dozens of times over the years. Smile

The 1209 series DOES have a transformer on it, it's under that metal plate, and is blue!
barcodude

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Oops, 12+ years and it's the first time someone has pointed that out! I've linked to it dozens of times over the years. Smile

The 1209 series DOES have a transformer on it, it's under that metal plate, and is blue!

yep, tranformer coil in a blue pack of some kind, under the metal plate Thumbs Up
so i can use it? because if my old one fails i have a spare. The only little thing i did once
used it but my image would't stop shaking.

CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the 762XXX part numbers are the same, you should be able to use it. The 17 volt line or H width control may be out of adjustment..
barcodude

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe a stupid question but i got myself a digital multimeter to check the voltage wich setting do i need to use?
DCV,ACV,DCA? and then it has multiple settings on each like 200, 20, 2000m, 200m etc. Embarassed

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it DCV 20 because i'm reading a 17v output?

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

never mind figured it out i could make out 17.01 on my meter Thumbs Up
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barcodude wrote:
maybe a stupid question but i got myself a digital multimeter to check the voltage wich setting do i need to use?
DCV,ACV,DCA? and then it has multiple settings on each like 200, 20, 2000m, 200m etc. Embarassed

I know Chris (cmjohnson) posted a separate thread about this, but if you do not know the very basic fundamentals on how to operate a multimeter you most certainly will not know how to take measurements safely, so I would suggest you do not go poking around inside the projector with metal probes while the unit is running.

Someone could explain to you how the multimeter works (or you could read the manual) but that doesn't teach you safety where high voltages are concerned. Someone with an electronics knowledge can look at any part of the device and know (without a schematic) what is safe and what isn't by the parts used. That is not knowledge you'll have, so playing inside the unit while it's running is a very dangerous thing for you to be doing.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
barcodude

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank's for you're warning, but i looked only at the test point (if it said 17v)of the main power supply, i looked on internet at the right setting on the digital meter and put the black probe on the chassie and the red one on the test point with a internal pattern running with a contrast and brightness on 50 (that's what the service manual said), and it actualy said 15.83,so i tweaked the pod until it said 17.01. I also needed to set the master h width to an acceptable screen size that's it. No more testing for me everything is done with the setup on my pj,

And don't wurry nobody is going to die at curtpalme from stupidity.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, is your meter calibrated? If it's way off, you may have just adjusted the 17 volt rail incorrectly.

Check your meter with a fresh, brand new, never used Eveready alkaline 9 volt battery. It will read between 9.4 and 9.6 volts.

If you're getting a voltage reading in that range, your meter is well enough calibrated to be trustworthy.

Set your meter to the voltage range that covers the voltage you expect to measure. Measuring 150 volts? If you have a 200 volt scale, that'd fit in it so that'd be good.

The scale chosen should max out above the reading you're expecting to take.

Don't get AC and DC voltages mixed up.

Especially don't try to measure an active circuit with voltage in it on the ohms scale.
barcodude

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
But, is your meter calibrated? If it's way off, you may have just adjusted the 17 volt rail incorrectly.

Check your meter with a fresh, brand new, never used Eveready alkaline 9 volt battery. It will read between 9.4 and 9.6 volts.

yep, that whas done correctly Thumbs Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: