Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

PC sound card that can do Dolby True HD and DTS HD??

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:38 am    Post subject: PC sound card that can do Dolby True HD and DTS HD?? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey all. The new HTPC/Blending box has begun the planning and early accumulation stage.

I'm sortta stuck at the sound card though. Most people say the on-board sound today is fine but I disagree. Problem I'm having is finding a sound card that can decode Dolby True HD and DTS HD sound and send them out to the Analog outputs from Bluray.

Is there a card that can do this?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're having a hard time find a card that does it because the card isn't what does the decoding; software does. I'm not up on all the software, but you just buy whatever good sound card you want, then software like PowerDVD decodes the Dolby TrueHD or DTS MA.

The only limitation... I think... If you're playing the BD right off the disc, you may not get high-res (96/24 for instance) audio. I think to get high-res on analog outputs, you either need to rip to MKV, or you need a tool like AnyDVD which decrypts the disc on the fly so PowerDVD sees it as an unencrypted disc and doesn't enforce analog down-res.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I'm sure you'll be all against this... But, the best way to get high-quality audio out of BD on a PC is HDMI... You'll get bit-streamed audio, with no restrictions, which you could then connect to any old 5-year old used AVR, and likely offer a cleaner, zero-noise solution compared trying to get clean analog audio out of the PC. Just sayin'.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
BTW, I'm sure you'll be all against this... But, the best way to get high-quality audio out of BD on a PC is HDMI... You'll get bit-streamed audio, with no restrictions, which you could then connect to any old 5-year old used AVR, and likely offer a cleaner, zero-noise solution compared trying to get clean analog audio out of the PC. Just sayin'.

SC

Yes I realize that but this needs to be portable. I want to take it to friends places along with a set of Logitech Z5500 or
Klipsch PROMEDIA ULTRA 5.1 depending on what I can get my hands on.

I'd like to do a 20 foot screen in the backyard maybe bigger depending how the testing goes. I have a stack of JVC DILA 1365x1024 projectors handy from Hallowe'en to play with. I want big screen and big sound.

One other possibility I'm exploring is a breakout box. I used one on vacation to run:
PS3===>HDMI----BreakoutBox---7.1Analog===HarmanKardonReceiver_w_7.1AnalogInputs

You use bitstream out to the breakout box then 7.1 Analog out via 3.5mm jacks.

inputs.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  48.89 KB
 Viewed:  18348 Time(s)

inputs.jpg

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: