Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

IBM 365 Pentium PRO PC c.1997
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Classic Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Keith, start posting those parts in another thread. You have some awesome stuff there!

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
I remember those overdrive chips! I always wanted one for my 486 DX4-100 PC.

I think I have 2 of those overdrive CPUs for sure, one is in a compaq PC that someone (likely) paid a pretty price to upgrade it to that (as the system of course by default did not support anything past 166MHz, the OD CPU in it is at 200MHz Very Happy ) It's maxed out with CPU & ram, working on a solid state hard drive solution for all my vintage PCs. As cool as the retro HDD jet engine sound is, I'd prefer using some old SATA I SSDs. I did manage to get it working in 2 of my compaqs. The best part is the adaptec SATA card I used is "Supported" by the compaq BIOS, so you dont see the SATA card Bootrom, you just see the compaq logo like it came from the factory that way Very Happy (pressing the hotkey to get into the card configuration is of course still possible too)

I first tried with some IDE to SATA adapters, but as I suspected, they are totally useless and didnt work. the SATA PCI card worked like a charm, even in 20+ year old machines. I just need a few more of them and to find some more of the IBM 15GB SSDs that I already bought.

And yes, believe it or not, Windows 95 loads considerably faster even on the old P1 166MHz! (I always suspected the primitive mechanical drives held back old PCs more than was realized at the time)

I'd post my pics of my vintage ceramic CPUs but since rolling-off the club membership I've been unable to upload more pics Razz (gonna have to renew that Wink )

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Industrial CF cards on CF to IDE adaptors. I just bought some.

I booted an old Compaq laptop 486 something with Win95. It took it 7.5 minutes to boot off that old 200mb HDD. Slow! Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW this project is on hold for 3 reasons. Number 1 my back is out, number 2 my PP200 box is in my trunk and #3 my 14 inch CRT monitor is in the front seat. I can't/won't risk lifting them right now. Sad part is I don't know how I injured myself this time ((shrug)).

EDIT and number 4 I have to find my Pentium Pro stuff I put safely away AND need some RAM to make this go!

CRT.

HD done right!
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
BTW this project is on hold for 3 reasons. Number 1 my back is out, number 2 my PP200 box is in my trunk and #3 my 14 inch CRT monitor is in the front seat. I can't/won't risk lifting them right now. Sad part is I don't know how I injured myself this time ((shrug)).

EDIT and number 4 I have to find my Pentium Pro stuff I put safely away AND need some RAM to make this go!

Its called old age Laughing Laughing
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

km987654 wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

Its called old age Laughing Laughing

"You're only as old as you feel"...um 72? Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
I can't/won't risk lifting them right now. Sad part is I don't know how I injured myself this time ((shrug)).

I jacked up my neck last Thursday night. Apparently I just slept on it wrong or something because I woke up Friday morning and it hurt like hell. I literally couldn't turn my head to look over my right shoulder to back the car into the garage Friday after work because it was too painful. I had to use my mirrors and hope for the best.

It's getting better now, but was still hurting even last night. Looks like about a week until I'm mostly out of the woods. A frickin' week of neck pain just because I slept on it wrong... Or something.

Getting old sucks.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I had a similar bad condition about three years ago. I woke up in pain--first for me. No, the wife wasn't kicking my ass as I slept but it may have been a combination of playing Sudoku on a tablet (always looking down; neck at extreme angle) and sitting for hours on a chaise, which kept the legs raised and by virtue my torso bent.

I actually got no help from my GP and wound up seeing a neurologist. I was put on a med that acted more like a tranquilizer than anything else as it essential interferes with the central nervous system to stop signals from going to the muscles in my neck. Talk about C6/C7 issue! I got rid of the old, disgusting chaise and stopped playing games on a tablet (just on consoles).

Now three years later I might take the medication once a month or so but much better. At its worse point the issue would cause a muscular locking of my left elbow. I could 'crack' my neck and release the lock. Something to say about bad posture and aging.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Classic Electronics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: