Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Denon AVR-2311ci Protect Mode

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
innerlogic

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Denon AVR-2311ci Protect Mode Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello,
I have a 2311ci that as soon as the relays click after powering on, the amp shuts down. I took the cover off and checked fuses and looked for any obvious sign of anything fried or anything out of the ordinary when i unplugged CP401 on the 7CH AMP BOARD the unit will powerup and functions normally (sans sound). Unit was operating fine until protection mode kicked on whenever the volume was turned up past -10. It would work at low volume until a week later when stopped powering up past startup relays.
I've used my DMM on the power transistors on the bottom of the amp board and with one probe on base and other on the emitter all have the same values except for the SBR the one on the left read 1.8 instead of 1.1? It says D2560? Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would really like to get this fixed.

Thanks.
Spencer
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one guy that was really good at this, Macgyver, seems to have bailed off this forum. you might try PMing him to see if he'll respond.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Denon AVR-2311CI has bad amplifier outputs. It is repairable, but if sending it in it would cot probably $70+ for parts and labor to repair it. If you do it yourself you could get it repaired for about $35-$40

Aside from blown outputs, there is most likely some blown resistors and a couple of pre-driver transistors as well that probably got taken out at the same time as the main power output transistors.

This is a common problem on a lot of denon receivers. Not sure why really, as Denon receivers seem pretty reliable while working, and they usually have better build quality than most receivers out there.

And Curt is right, MacGuyver has disappeared from the forum for a while now, he may return, I don't really know. But he will tell you the same thing.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, Unfortunately the big D won't fix it (that's what the Guy I got it from said.) Do you know of a reliable place to buy a Service Manuel? All the places I've searched look shady.
MDubin

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Denon AVR-2311ci Protect Mode Reply with quote

Hi,
I'd love to re-visit this thread as my Denon was doing the same a couple of years ago and again now. When the problem first arose I sent the unit to Denon. They sat it on the bench for a week and said the unit was fine. Offering that it was possibly the speakers shorting the system. I packed up the Denon until this week when I purchased B&W's to use in conjunction. 1st evening all worked fine but within 24 hours the unit is going into protection mode again. Denon phone service walked me thru a hard reset and unplugging the speakers. Still not response to powering up. When I took the unit out (and yes, I was angry) I plugged it in (with no devices and it was fine) . * sigh*

I slowly and methodically plugged in each component (powering on and off with each device) and the protection mode did not kick in. Is this an intermittent problem? I'm really not in the mood to chase money after this Denon. Frankly, it worked for about 7 months and sat in a box for 4 years. Now my speaker retailer is pointing to Denon and Denon wants to point to the speakers.

Did this $70 fix save the day?

CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first suggestion would be to try a different pair of speakers. Are you using expensive speaker wire? If so, replace it with some Home Depot 16 gauge lamp cord, and see if another pair of speakers has it working fine.
MDubin

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Denon AVR-2311ci Protect Mode Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
My first suggestion would be to try a different pair of speakers. Are you using expensive speaker wire? If so, replace it with some Home Depot 16 gauge lamp cord, and see if another pair of speakers has it working fine.

Thank you for responding. I would assume that the wire is of very high quality. The installers are THE go to company in Los Angeles. They used Wirepath 14-gauge 2-conductor 105-strand CL3 wire. Connecting B&W' CM5's

CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, get rid of that wire temporarily, and buy about 20' of standard lamp cord, and try that to connect the B&W or another pair of speakers. Smile

My guess is that the wire is most likely OK, but before writing off the Denon, let's eliminate everything else first. Without getting too technical, some of the esoteric wire puts a weird load on the receiver, which may be causing it to go into protect mode. Unlikely, but possible. Or, the speakers may be putting the weird load on the amp. If replacing the wire and speakers with other ones still causes the protect mode, then it's in the receiver, and you need a qualified tech to work on that. It may not be worth repairing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: