Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Return of the Technics 1200
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
WanMan wrote:
Yes, but it wasn't what I expected. I was browsing through a shop's vinyl section, boxed sets and was stoked at seeing this. unfortunately i got it home and when I opened it there wasn't a single LP inside. Instead, this LP-footprinted boxed collection of 5 CDs was inside.
LOL, yeah read the label carefully. Also hate to tell you this but if your buying brand new LP's and shelling out $15. to $30. for single and up to $50. for a double LP like Quadrophenia, then you need to do a an online search and make sure your not getting a crappy version that's either

1) a poorly mastered version done off a second or 3rd copy of the originals tapes and cut by some hacks looking to make a quick buck off the "vinyl craze".
2) digital master, might even be off tape but the frequencies are tweaked for CD (yes, this actually happens)
3) or worst off all some copy made right from the CD
Steve Hoffmans forum is a great place to get opinions on this

WanMan wrote:
I was disappointed in that I wanted this to be my first play on my return to vinyl. Oh well, live and learn. Instead, I listened to DSotM and WYWH. BTW, the NIN:PHM is the wife's. LOL
well DSOTM is hardly a bad way to break in a new TT. I am actually missing WYWH but I really want a mint version of the CBS Mastersound half-speed master.They sell for upwards of $50. on E-bay now

WanMan wrote:
Listening to these using a pair of Paradigm Studio 20's (v5) and a re-purposed Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX. I like the response to the 20's, but I think I may want to take it up a notch. Unfortunately, Paradigm's have gotten expensive compared to 2003 pricing.
those speakers still sell for $1K used. what exactly is missing?

Check anti-skate, that moronic video I linked to doesn't mention it but there should be an anti skate slider on top of the tone arm rest, just to the left of the arm lift. If this is off, you will get distortion in either left or right speaker and /or 1 channel might play louder than the other.

If something is still lacking , I would look at a better cartridge before better speakers . I think the weakest link on the RP1 is the cartridge . The stylus itself is probably diamond but it's not going to be fine line or vandenhul or anything like that . The tracking weight spec. of "2 to 3" grams alone tells you it's a very basic,low end unit. Rega's cheapest cartridge
http://www.rega.co.uk/carbon.html
Technical Specification

Output: 2.5mV at 1kHz
Stylus: User replaceable.
Fixing: Standard, two screws
Cantilever: Carbon
Colour: Black/White
Tracking Pressure 2-3g

look a the other units, they specify things like tracking weight 1.75 grams. The cartridge is important because it's basically your loudspeaker playing in reverse on the opposite end of the chain

Loudspeaker is a transducer- electrical energy into mechanical motion (vibration/sound)
Cartridge is also a transducer= Mechanical energy into an electrical signal (and sound as well )

That's what was great about the Project Carbon, it comes with the Ortofon 2M Red right out of the box.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Snap, crackle and pop. I smiled like a kid caught in a candy store with a wad of cash. Mr. Green
Put the 180 gram Dark Side of the moon on and I started laughing in delight.

Glad you're enjoying it, Wan. Gotta say it does my heart good to see a crusty old curmudgeon start giggling. Laughing
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original tracking issue solved when weight was adjusted to where it should be, not where I initially set it to. Speakers are fine for the space they are in. I had to reset the Pioneer, which was calibrated for a completely different space and set of speakers.

Quadraphenia sounded awesome this afternoon. Goggles continue although I can't say that my neighbors appreciate the music.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quadropheina is my 3rd favorite Who album, right after Tommy and Who's next , which are kinda tied for first really Very Happy

I'm trying to score a nice copy of Floyd WYWH . General consensus is the CBS half-speed is over-priced and over-rated. One to get is an original UK pressing (good luck), or even the German, Russian, or Dutch are fine.

The new one is fine too, but as usual the EU versions pressed in Germany are excellent and the ones made here in California had problems, Noisy, off-center spindle hole, chipped edges, etc. This was the original 2011 release, maybe they've gotten better since they're still selling the same pressing for $30.?

WanMan wrote:
Original tracking issue solved when weight was adjusted to where it should be, not where I initially set it to.
they tell you to just slam the weight all the way against the tonearm stop. That might just work for a cart. with a suggested tracking of 2 to 3 grams but I would put in a little more effort.
If the weight has dial on it, then do the "neutral arm float thing" and then advance the dial to 2.3 grams. Here's the review for that unit, looks like it's an Audio Technica unit , made in Germany ?
http://audiofi.net/2013/03/rega-carbon-cheerful-cheapie-cartridge/

Maybe consider a digital style force gauge, they're pretty cheap

WanMan wrote:
I had to reset the Pioneer, which was calibrated for a completely different space and set of speakers.

Wan you shouldn't have to calibrate anything. See if the receiver has a "direct mode" or " pure direct" mode. You don't want any DSP "digital signal processing" , frequency modulation, or any of that other crap poisoning your pure Analog perfection Wink
My Denon has pure direct and I leave the sub-woofer off as well (sub shouldn't theoretically be active at all in "pure 2-channel" but oh well). Sounds brilliant.

We did some direct comparisons to CD few weeks ago and the Bass so much better off the LP , highs were smoother, wider and deeper sound-stage. On a scale of 1 to 10, the LP was a 9 to my ears and the CD a 6 or 7.

WanMan wrote:
Quadraphenia sounded awesome this afternoon. Goggles continue although I can't say that my neighbors appreciate the music.
tell them "if it's too loud your TOO OLD" Laughing
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: