Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Kodak re-launches Super 8 film cameras!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Kodak re-launches Super 8 film cameras!!! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
COOL!!!!!!! Mr. Green

http://www.kodak.com/ek/us/en/consumer/products/super8/default.htm

Kodak Launches Super 8 Filmmaking Revival Initiative at CES 2016

Filmmakers rally behind Kodak’s revival of Super 8

LAS VEGAS, N.V., Tuesday, January 05, 2016 --

On the heels of celebrating 50 years of manufacturing Super 8 film, Kodak is launching an initiative aimed at putting Super 8 cameras into the hands of a new generation of filmmakers as well as meeting the needs of top directors, indie filmmakers and others who appreciate the art and craft of filmmaking.

At the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, Kodak will kick off its Super 8 Revival Initiative with a display of an early prototype of a new Kodak Super 8 camera that combines the classic features of a Super 8 with digital functionality as well as opportunities for visitors to shoot their own Super 8 footage and watch home movies on the Kodak CES booth (South Hall #20618).

The Kodak Super 8 Revival Initiative reaches far beyond the introduction of a new camera. The company has built a roadmap that includes a range of cameras, film development services, post production tools and more. "It is an ecosystem for film" said Jeff Clarke, Eastman Kodak Chief Executive Officer. "Following the 50th anniversary of Super 8, Kodak is providing new opportunities to enjoy and appreciate film as a medium."

Film has generated huge buzz in Hollywood recently as the chosen medium for award-winning movie directors and blockbuster movies. Now the Kodak Super 8 Revival Initiative is being applauded by the industry's top directors, many of whom got their start on Super 8 film.

At 7 years old, director and producer Christopher Nolan began making short movies with his father's Super 8 camera. "The news that Kodak is enabling the next generation of filmmakers with access to an upgraded and enhanced version of the same analog technology that first made me fall in love with cinematic storytelling is unbelievably exciting," said Nolan.

"For me, 8mm was the beginning of everything," said Academy Award®-winning director Steven Spielberg. "When I think of 8mm, I think of the movies."

"While any technology that allows for visual storytelling must be embraced, nothing beats film," said JJ Abrams, writer and director of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. "The fact that Kodak is building a brand new Super 8 camera is a dream come true. With a gorgeous new design, interchangeable lenses and a brilliant scheme for development and delivery of footage, this camera appears to be the perfect bridge between the efficiency of the digital world and the warmth and quality of analog."

By launching its first Super 8 camera product in more than 30 years, Kodak is demonstrating its resolve to ensure that film plays an important role in the future of filmmakers - both professionals and amateurs. This product, like many in Kodak's history, will be a tool for artists and all those who aim to capture special moments.

As one of the first American companies to recognize the value of industrial design, Kodak has engaged with Yves Béhar, design entrepreneur and founder of Fuseproject, to ensure that the new Kodak Super 8 camera design echoes the look and feel of the original Kodak Super 8 camera, introduced in 1965, while adding a modern sensibility.

"Kodak has always represented innovation that is approachable while delivering the craft of filmmaking. Our design aspires to express both these ideals. We are designing the Kodak Super 8 camera with robust materials and new ergonomic features to serve the needs of Super 8 fans, whether shooting action or static scenes," said Béhar.

Please visit Kodak at CES South Hall #20618 to see a prototype of the new Kodak Super 8 camera, shoot your own Super 8 footage and view home movies from Kodak.

SUPPORT FOR THE KODAK Super 8 REVIVAL INITIATIVE FROM HOLLYWOOD AND BEYOND:

Steven Spielberg, Writer, Director, Producer - Multiple Academy Award® Winner
"When I watch the news, I expect and want it to look like live television. However, I don't want that in my movies. I want our century-plus medium to keep its filmic look and I like seeing very fine, swimming grain up there on the screen. To me, it's just more alive and it imbues an image with mystery, so it's never literal. I love movies that aren't literally up in my face with images so clear there is nothing left to our imaginations. Had I shot it on a digital camera, the Omaha Beach landings in Saving Private Ryan would have crossed the line for those that found them almost unbearable. Paintings done on a computer and paintings done on canvas require an artist to make us feel something. To be the cursor or the brush, that is the question and certainly both can produce remarkable results. But doesn't the same hold true for the cinematic arts? Digital or celluloid? Vive la difference! Shouldn't both be made available for an artist to choose?"

Quentin Tarantino, Writer, Director, Producer - Multiple Academy Award® Winner
"On film, there's a special magic on a set when you say 'action' and to the point that the take runs until you say 'cut,' that's a sacred time. I've always believed in the magic of movies and to me the magic is connected to film. When you're filming something on film you aren't recording movement, you're taking a series of still pictures and when shown at 24 frames per second through a lightbulb, THAT creates the illusion of movement. That illusion is connected to the magic of making movies. The fact that Kodak is giving a new generation of filmmakers the opportunity to shoot on Super 8 is truly an incredible gift."
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
<giddy as a school girl>
I've been meaning to dust off my Super 8 cameras this year and now I know I can certainly get film for some time to come. Thumbs Up

</giddy as a school girl> ( an ugly one with a goatee lol )

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder where they'll make it? Kodak has sold, demolished, or repurposed 50 or more plants in the last few years.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Wonder where they'll make it? Kodak has sold, demolished, or repurposed 50 or more plants in the last few years.

I've got three letters for you: EPA.

No doubt they'll make it where almost everything sold by international corporations is made: in China.

BTW, Kodak still makes quite a bit of motion picture film, but even that is declining, so their existing plant is probably gaining unused capacity. They can probably add a little tooling (tooling that may have been just sitting in a warehouse somewhere anyway) to an existing plant and crank out the Super-8 alongside the 35mm and IMAX film.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, they might still make it in Rochester...

This is a great article!

http://gearpatrol.com/2015/03/20/how-motion-picture-film-is-made/

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I wondered. There used to be a big Kodak plant just SE of Fort Collins -- X-ray film, I think -- but they sold off the site years ago. I'm glad to hear they're "keeping the flame" at Rochester. In spite of the EPA. Wink
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Cool, I wondered. There used to be a big Kodak plant just SE of Fort Collins -- X-ray film, I think -- but they sold off the site years ago. I'm glad to hear they're "keeping the flame" at Rochester. In spite of the EPA. Wink

I was on Photography drive in Toronto. The Kodak building is a white eplephant now, boarded up and the land repurposed for a supermarket and gas station.

CRT.

HD done right!
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yawn, so a bunch of directors that used it in their youth and won't touch it again are overjoyed. Again yawn.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curb your enthusiasm Spanky!

I'm just trying to find some Super 8mm film for sale. This is going to be fun. 2.5 minutes per cart at 24fps Very Happy

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: