Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony G70

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superg

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject: Sony G70 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
New to these forums picking a Sony G70 CRT Projector, didn't realise how big it was going to be!

I've just had a look at the setup dvd here and am in the process of setting it up and already its starting to look better than when i got it.

Ill be having a good read through here to find some tips and im sure some questions will follow, thanks.

Last edited by superg on Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Where shouts in Australia are you?
gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid phone and spell check.
superg

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VIC

gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit to far away to call around and help. I am in Canberra.
You have a very capable projector to start with. Spend time on the astig and focus. Getting this and geometry right is where all the quality of the picture starts.
You will get lots of help from here. Enjoy the world of CRT.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregstv wrote:
Bit to far away to call around and help. I am in Canberra.
You have a very capable projector to start with. Spend time on the astig and focus. Getting this and geometry right is where all the quality of the picture starts.
You will get lots of help from here. Enjoy the world of CRT.

This and get the mechanical setup and room placement just right too.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
superg

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, i've just watch the setup video on this site and it helped a lot, i managed to setup the projector to get a pretty decent picture for now.

winduptoy

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the new acquisition. I have had my G70 for over 8 years now and it has provided my family with thousands of hours of trouble free service. Get yourself a Moome HDMI input card, take your time setting it up and enjoy a picture that will be the envy of anyone who sees it. If you keep the screen size to 100" or less, it will be plenty bright without driving the tubes too hard. Tons of info and help available on this site.
View user's photo album (11 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the contrast under 80 to extend tube life. See if you can get away with 65-70, and you'll close to double the life of the tubes (a guesstimate).
gasser

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Curt may still have my G70 with the Moome in it. Very low hours if you ever need parts.
I'm still very pleased with my CRT picture although one of these days Tejaard may have something for me Wink.
superg

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be looking at ceiling mounting it if i get the go ahead and if that happens will get a moome HDMI card for sure.

I have done a quick setup but i will do a more thorough setup once in the correct position

Last edited by superg on Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superg wrote:
Thanks all, i'm still in a struggle with the wife to try keep it (she thinks its too big) but im slowly working her over with the quality of it.

I will be looking at ceiling mounting it if i get the go ahead and if that happens will get a moome HDMI card for sure.

My screen is 108INCH / 240X135CM (94.5x53inches) what is the optimum screen to projector distance for this screen? mine is currently sitting 115" away

I have done a quick setup but i will do a more thorough setup once in the correct position
rule of thumb for 108 inch diagonal screen is approx 9 feet away to tip of lenses, which is also a great place for the first row of seats (directly under machine).
If you do that no one will ever bonk their head on it.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
superg wrote:
Thanks all, i'm still in a struggle with the wife to try keep it (she thinks its too big) but im slowly working her over with the quality of it.

My screen is 108INCH / 240X135CM (94.5x53inches) what is the optimum screen to projector distance for this screen? mine is currently sitting 115" away

rule of thumb for 108 inch diagonal screen is approx 9 feet away to tip of lenses, which is also a great place for the first row of seats (directly under machine).
If you do that no one will ever bonk their head on it.

I'm at 115" with the raster/image near max filling a 106" dia screen (16:9). At 108" dist, 105" dia might be tough.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1154&mode=previous
[img]http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1154&mode=previous[/img]

gasser

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a formula. Also an app which will do it for you. It is in the manuals I gave Curt.
The diagram posted was very nice. PJCalc or something like that.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 or 7 inches is not going to drastically affect your video performance. AAMOF, it's better to be a little further back vs. too far forward as you will not stress the deflection circuitry as hard.

Curt for one is not a big fan of pushing the image to the nitty gritty edge of the tube as the horizontal def. board on these machines already has it's hand full with today's high resolution formats. I happen to agree with him.

52 x 92 is a sweet size for CRT, I'm using a 52 x 92 and the pic is sweet with an 8" inch AC machine
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: