Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

What model(s) are the cheapest good used 4k JVC Projectors?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject: What model(s) are the cheapest good used 4k JVC Projectors? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am running a JVC RS1 now in my bedroom. I am happy with the picture quality (not as good as my crt but not bad) and I am wondering if there is an inexpensive path to upgrade to TRUE 4k in the used market. Confused Perhaps Sony as well.
nettwerkjohn

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want true 4k the only domestic option is the sony.

The jvc 4k is interpolated. X900 series and before won't accept a 4k signal from bluray.

Having said that, I am more than happy with the x900. Pixels are invisible, even right at the screen.

Very nice, bright, smooth picture. I'd buy another one.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, I'd really wait a couple of years. I personally wouldn't want anything first generation, and finding a used 4K anything right now really is expecting a bit much. They only came out 2 years ago..
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately as has been mentioned, true 4k is only Sony at the moment. There is also 3chip DLP, but that is even more expensive. If you don't need true 4k, then JVCs eshift is the next best thing. Why are you looking?
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I didn't realize the JVC was not real 4k or UHD. I am looking at the new UHD Bluray players and reading about the expanded color gamut and dynamic range. It got me thinking if there were older models for cheap I would pick one up just to play with it although it sounds like that is not the case.
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nettwerkjohn wrote:
If you want true 4k the only domestic option is the sony.

The jvc 4k is interpolated. X900 series and before won't accept a 4k signal from bluray.

Having said that, I am more than happy with the x900. Pixels are invisible, even right at the screen.

Very nice, bright, smooth picture. I'd buy another one.

Would it accept the signal with a 4k HDFURY?
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What model(s) are the cheapest good used 4k JVC Projecto Reply with quote

JayAllan wrote:
I am wondering if there is an inexpensive path to upgrade to TRUE 4k in the used market. Confused

4K is the bleeding edge of technology at the moment so words like "4K" and "inexpensive" do not go together. Wink

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What model(s) are the cheapest good used 4k JVC Projecto Reply with quote

kal wrote:
JayAllan wrote:
I am wondering if there is an inexpensive path to upgrade to TRUE 4k in the used market. Confused

4K is the bleeding edge of technology at the moment so words like "4K" and "inexpensive" do not go together. Wink

Kal
Depends on your psychosis, eh?

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayAllan wrote:
Thanks guys. I didn't realize the JVC was not real 4k or UHD. I am looking at the new UHD Bluray players and reading about the expanded color gamut and dynamic range. It got me thinking if there were older models for cheap I would pick one up just to play with it although it sounds like that is not the case.

Right now, the only reasonable option is the JVC. The new ones will accept and display the new HDMI spec. A RS400 will set you back about $3500.

One thing about UHD is there isn't a lot of content yet. I can see it taking till the end of the year to get a number of titles.

A Fury might be able to pass the signal, but most older pjs won't be able to display the expanded color gamut.
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is mostly the expanded color gamut that I am interested in. I suppose I will have to wait Smile
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want an expanded color gamut pj, then you could look for LED DLPs. I think some of them are starting to drop down to reasonable prices. I am not sure a Fury could get you Rec2020 with one or not playing UHD.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the rainbows will look more colorful?

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
If you want an expanded color gamut pj, then you could look for LED DLPs. I think some of them are starting to drop down to reasonable prices. I am not sure a Fury could get you Rec2020 with one or not playing UHD.

I will have to look into that. In the meantime I guess I will just get a new bulb for my RS1 and continue to enjoy it Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: