Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

gamma question

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barcodude

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: gamma question Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
when i use my box 1020 from x-vue for gamma correction can i over do it?
because when i callibrate it to a movie like the dark knight rises i can turn the knob full throtle but when i watch another movie with light scenes it's to light so i need to compensate by turning down contrast on my crt pj.
How do you reconise a good gamma? and also the problem of white crush and black crush?

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you shouldn't have it cranked up. If you can take it out of the circuit and set up the brightness and contrast, pause a dark scene, then add the 1040 and adjust the gamma so you are ***just*** coming out of black. You should see the shadow detail coming out but not washing the dark areas out.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: gamma question Reply with quote

barcodude wrote:
when i use my box 1020 from x-vue for gamma correction can i over do it?

Yes.

Quote:
because when i callibrate it to a movie like the dark knight rises i can turn the knob full throtle but when i watch another movie with light scenes it's to light so i need to compensate by turning down contrast on my crt pj.

You can't calibrate to a movie. Calibrating means adjusting the display to known sources (test patterns). You can't use a movie to set gamma because you have no idea what the director intended to be seen.

Once calibrated, you don't adjust it again, nor should you.

Quote:
How do you reconise a good gamma? and also the problem of white crush and black crush?

You calibrate.

You need to read this: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35322

It'll explain how to set gamma correctly and how to ensure you do not have any white or black crush.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: gamma question Reply with quote

kal wrote:
You can't calibrate to a movie. Calibrating means adjusting the display to known sources (test patterns). You can't use a movie to set gamma because you have no idea what the director intended to be seen.

Kal is correct of course. You really need the proper equipment to calibrate properly.

But there are certain scenes that can be used as a reference. For example in the scene with Wormtongue and Eowyn in LOTR:EE, The Two Towers:

People with calibrated displays know what this is supposed to look like, and you can use their experience as a guide. If your black levels are set too low, or if your gamma is too low, Wormtongue's coat is totally black. If you have good shadow detail, you should *just* be able to make out the fur on his coat.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: gamma question Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
People with calibrated displays know what this is supposed to look like, and you can use their experience as a guide. If your black levels are set too low, or if your gamma is too low, Wormtongue's coat is totally black. If you have good shadow detail, you should *just* be able to make out the fur on his coat.

Yup - if you don't have calibration equipment and want to do something like gamma right, hints like the above are a step in the right direction (because they come from people who *have* calibrated their displays correctly and they know what they should see).

The scene above is a classic one that always comes up in any gamma calibration discussions.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
barcodude

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank's i did some movie calibration on the fly with lord of the rings and it looks impresive nice black scenes and Wormtongue's coat is just visible Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: