Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Who's got their Star Wars tickets?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:27 am    Post subject: Who's got their Star Wars tickets? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Who's got their tickets and where are you going to see it? Anyone planning on Dolby Vision or Imax Laser?

I can't f*cking wait... Twisted Evil

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got 8 tickets over a month ago. I always get a bunch of tickets and take my family and friends. I usually get more but time are a tight folks . I can't wait either !

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wavering. If I go to Atlanta, then I will go to the Dolby Cinema. If not, then I will probably go over to ipic.
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
I am wavering. If I go to Atlanta, then I will go to the Dolby Cinema. If not, then I will probably go over to ipic.

Eric-

There are five days to go-make up your mind already!! You can't even get tickets up here in the really good theaters at reasonable times; all sold out for weeks.

Like yourself I've been avoiding all of the potential spoilers and online fan speculation. A big part of the magic when we were kids was going in to watch these films not knowing anything. I do watch trailers and tv spots though Thumbs Up

Thus far I'd say Disney/Lucasfilm has done a good job running a tight ship on that front. Hopefully, they can successfully keep the cat in the bag for just a little while longer.

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go later I did opening night on the last 3. I haven't seen/heard anything about them.
Last time I wore ear plugs and a walkman with the Imperial March on tape. Any time someone in line started to talk about it I hit play. Very Happy

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched the original "Star Wars" movie now episode IV. I was surprised just how good it still looks. There were some scenes where the effects looked ordinary but not many. The movie stands up reasonably well considering how old it is and it looks great on BD.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, as a geek you'd think I'd be into the movie, all I hear on the radio station I listen to is geek talk.. but I have no interest at all. I've only ever watched the first one in 1977 in the theater. Didn't expect much, but enjoyed it. See 100s of clips, and used one of the later movies for some screen shots back in the day, but I've never watched any one of them in their entirety since the first one. I guess one day I should, but it's just not important to me. Enjoy, and don't spoil any plot line for me here once you see the latest.. I may see it one day... in a theater far far away.. Smile
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbmeyer13 wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:

Eric-

There are five days to go-make up your mind already!! You can't even get tickets up here in the really good theaters at reasonable times; all sold out for weeks.

Like yourself I've been avoiding all of the potential spoilers and online fan speculation. A big part of the magic when we were kids was going in to watch these films not knowing anything. I do watch trailers and tv spots though Thumbs Up

Thus far I'd say Disney/Lucasfilm has done a good job running a tight ship on that front. Hopefully, they can successfully keep the cat in the bag for just a little while longer.

Not a big deal, as I am not going the first weekend. I just checked and there are seats available at the Dolby Cinema in Atlanta over xmas.

Honestly, I am cautiously optimistic. I have only liked two of the five movies that he has directed. I have liked a lot of the TV shows he has been involved with though.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am now nervous. My brother called me yesterday to tell me that tickets to the Dolby Cinema is my xmas present. I checked and the only tickets available are in the back corner. I didn't look at the back of the theater in Dallas, so I am hoping that they didn't put the seats up against the wall.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved it!!!!!

No Spoilers from me Wink

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen it and LOVE IT!!

No I am not going to spoil it for those who haven't seen it

worth it

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:

Honestly, I am cautiously optimistic. I have only liked two of the five movies that he has directed. I have liked a lot of the TV shows he has been involved with though.
same here, not an Abrams fan but he did well on this one, I mean there's nothing that was done badly , there's some laughs, some suspense, a big shock, etc. Like his other stuff though it's Formulaic and more eye candy than brain food.

Semi-soiler alert

I was surprised at how many of the old themes were re-hashed. I can understand an homage to the classic 3 , episodes 4 thru 6, but I can't recall a single "new theme" in this movie. The Star Wars universe has really run it's course IMO, of course we'll all keep going back just because it's so ingrained in our psyche.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:

same here, not an Abrams fan but he did well on this one, I mean there's nothing that was done badly , there's some laughs, some suspense, a big shock, etc. Like his other stuff though it's Formulaic and more eye candy than brain food.

Semi-soiler alert

I was surprised at how many of the old themes were re-hashed. I can understand an homage to the classic 3 , episodes 4 thru 6, but I can't recall a single "new theme" in this movie. The Star Wars universe has really run it's course IMO, of course we'll all keep going back just because it's so ingrained in our psyche.

Spot on. I don't think it's played out; more a laçk of an innovative story. Enjoyable film yes; groundbreaking no. I felt the "big shocker" wasn't handled well. Without going into detail; the first two acts were good but the third act drops the ball. Winking at the viewer and paying homage is fine when it supports the story; when it IS the story it's a let down.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I like the fact that he minimized CGI and used models instead , shot it on film, brought back the original cast, etc. Abrams is known for great imagery, cinematography, mainly eye candy stuff. I wasn't disappointed because when I go to see an Abrams movie I am expecting a "popcorn flick" and not much more.

His Start Trek is the same, the story seems like it's going somewhere, almost, then your just bombarded with shooting and explosions. Laughing

Question is will I go see SW E-8 when it comes out. Maybe, depends on the weather. I would just as happy waiting for the Blue Ray.

Last edited by draganm on Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (2 photos)
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
well I like the fact that he minimized CGI and used models instead , shot it on film, brought back the original cast, etc. Abrams is known for great imagery, cinematography, mainly eye candy stuff. I wasn't disappointed because when I go to see an Abrams movie I am expecting a "popcorn flick" and not much more.

His Start Trek is the same, it almost seems like it's going somewhere then your just bombarded with shooting and explosions. Laughing

Question is will I go see SW E-8 when it comes out. Maybe, depends on the weather. I would just as happy waiting for the Blue Ray.

I agree

I haven't seen his version of Star Trek but if it's like the Star Wars movie then I will watch it for sure

Too bad I couldn't watch it in the iMax auditorium(they was showing the 3D version in it) but it has a bigger screen

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

going imax 3d on christmas day!!!! thank's father christmas Cool

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barcodude wrote:
going imax 3d on christmas day!!!! thank's father christmas Cool

You are one lucky guy

The tickets have been selling out like crazy in my area and I was lucky to get one opening day(I could have went to the pre screening but it was at 8pm and I wouldn't have been out of the movie till midnight(if not later) given how long it took for them
To get the movie started

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMAZING!!!!! the movie tick's all the boxes! back to the roots Thumbs Up

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barcodude wrote:
back to the roots Thumbs Up

More than I'd have preferred, actually. I kept wondering "Haven't I seen this movie before!?"
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it at the Dolby Cinema last night in Atlanta. The picture and sound were awesome. These theaters are a reason to spend money to go to the movies. After seeing a movie at Thanksgiving on a postage stamp screen, I may just wait to see special movies in a great theater and the rest in the home theater.

As for the movie, you guys have hit it. A complete rehash of the original. I thought Ren was a little cry baby - "My daddy was mean to me". Ray seemed to go from knowing nothing about the force to Jedi Master in two minutes..
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: