Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Willem Programmer G90 Dallas Chip woes

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Head

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Willem Programmer G90 Dallas Chip woes Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Plea for Help,

It's about 8 years since I replaced the Dallas Chip in my YA Board.

In this time my PC has been upgraded several times so I am not sure the exact hardware configuration I had 8 years ago.

I decided it was time to make a backup of the chip "Just in Case".

I found one of my old PC's with a parallel port and set it up with the Willem Programmer and software as before. Its Running Win XP media center edition. It has a dual core Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ processor.

I made a copy of my current Dallas chip and saved it.

I thought I would try to write it to my original Dallas Chip to ensure everything was OK.

This where things get strange. I am able to write the data to the old chip but it fails at 12% when verifying.

I took the Dallas chip from my spares machine and copied it as well.

The Data from my spares machine writes perfectly to my old chip and verifies 100%.

I then tried to write my old data from 2008 when I last changed the Dallas chip.

Now this data appears to write but fails verification immediately. Reading the Dallas chip now contains garbage.

I write all zeros everything works fine. I write all "FF" everything works fine. I write my spare machine Dallas data chip, writes perfectly. I write my recent Dallas Data verification fails at 12%. I write my 2008 Dallas Data and verification fails at 0%. Write my spares machine Dallas chip, all works fine again.

I am going around in circles.

I have changed parallel port address, I have forced the software to run on a single core. Still no change

The only conclusion I can reach is that I cannot trust my programmer.

Anyone experienced similar issues?

thanks

Alan
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan, what's the power supply for your programmer? That might be the issue.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
Alan Head

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig,

I thought that might be the issue as well.

It is powered via USB. I have tried different USB ports and also an iPhone charger and an iPad charger.

I even tried it in a VMware virtual machine running windows Xp pro. This made it take a lot longer to read and write but the results were exactly the same. I also reconfigured the board and used different software. Exactly the same results.

I am beginning to wonder if it's something to do with the parallel port on my PC motherboard. I'm assuming it's perfectly capable of reading accurately and only has a write issue. I'll try to find an old machine at work and give it a go next weekend.

It defies logic, I could understand if it wrote nothing successfully. However as long as the image was read on this PC it will happily write it.

Alan
Alan Head

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem Solved !

I gave in and purchased a MiniPRO USB programmer.
Reads writes and verifies all my old images.

I guess the printer port on my old pc was not sending a reliable voltage when writing.

I have heard of others adding pull up resistors to get these parallel port programmers working.

I now have a programmer that programs extremely quickly and works in Windows 8.

Alan
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: