Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Lumen Vision Pro

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables
View previous topic :: View next topic  
100949football

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Lumen Vision Pro Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Crying.....my trusty Lumagen Vision Pro has suddenly just given up.....went to switch all on today and the Lumen just won't show any signs of life.

Everything is getting power to the unit. I took the lid off to see if there were any accessible fuses - NOPE nothing. There are no signs of scorch-marks on the motherboard.

I am using a Seleco CRT.

Would I be better getting an alternate processor or my trusty local friendly tv / electronics repair man has ssuggested a look for a "schematic" for the Vision Pro.

Anyone got one. ????

PLEASE?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They weren't released, sorry! Lumagen overall is still top of the heap when it comes to processing, but is also 10+ years old. Have you measured the power supply while it's connected to the Lumagen, and scoped the line to make sure one of the capacitors internal to the supply hasn't died? Power supplies can be defective, yet measure OK if not under load. Get your service guy to check that before writing the unit off.

you could always email Lumagen for any tips, but doing board level repairs on these is impractical, and the unit has been superceded by a number of models that are HD compatible. Find an HDP or HDQ used for $200-250 USD on eBay if you don't want to buy new.
100949football

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
They weren't released, sorry! Lumagen overall is still top of the heap when it comes to processing, but is also 10+ years old. Have you measured the power supply while it's connected to the Lumagen, and scoped the line to make sure one of the capacitors internal to the supply hasn't died? Power supplies can be defective, yet measure OK if not under load. Get your service guy to check that before writing the unit off.

you could always email Lumagen for any tips, but doing board level repairs on these is impractical, and the unit has been superceded by a number of models that are HD compatible. Find an HDP or HDQ used for $200-250 USD on eBay if you don't want to buy new.

Many thanks Curt,

bear in mind the Lumagen Vision Pro will not light up at all........the remote is working (lights up when pressed) but there are NO light indicators on the unit itself. My kind repair man checked all power right through to the unit and power is getting to it ok.

You are talking to a home theatre "idiot" here who has been delighted with the Vision Pro for the past few years with no hiccups or maintenance at all. Then comes as a shock when suddenly it don't switch on.

Which other model/make would you suggest as an alternative if my Lumen Vision Pro is found to be "deceased" ?????

Bill
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the lumagen Vision Pro come with a separate power supply or is it all integrated? Reason I ask is that with older solid state stuff, 99% of the time the problem's in the power supply. You can try buying a new one (Lumagen Support may be able to sell you one directly).

If it's integrated in the unit, I'd start looking for bad electrolytic caps and replace them as needed, or simply replace them all. It's probably all in the power supply. I've done this on many devices around the house to keep things going. I have a 20+ year old Panamax 'fancy' power bar that I've done this to 2-3 times now. Wink

If you don't want to fix, I'd recommend any of the newer Lumagen Radiance models. Even the lowest end model available now (the Radiance 2020) will run circles around what you have in terms of features/functionality.

As luck would have it, we have some open box models available too. Wink See: http://www.curtpalme.com/Radiance.shtm

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Does the lumagen Vision Pro come with a separate power supply or is it all integrated? Reason I ask is that with older solid state stuff, 99% of the time the problem's in the power supply. You can try buying a new one (Lumagen Support may be able to sell you one directly).

If it's integrated in the unit, I'd start looking for bad electrolytic caps and replace them as needed, or simply replace them all. It's probably all in the power supply. I've done this on many devices around the house to keep things going. I have a 20+ year old Panamax 'fancy' power bar that I've done this to 2-3 times now. Wink

If you don't want to fix, I'd recommend any of the newer Lumagen Radiance models. Even the lowest end model available now (the Radiance 2020) will run circles around what you have in terms of features/functionality.

As luck would have it, we have some open box models available too. Wink See: http://www.curtpalme.com/Radiance.shtm

Kal

Its a separate unit.
100949football

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

km987654 wrote:
kal wrote:

Kal

Its a separate unit.

The Lumagen Vision Pro is a USA model which is powered down from 230volts to 5 going into the Lumen vision Pro.

There is a separate down-step transformer (KXT 200) into a smaller SceptrePSD 5050APL6A power supply AD4005B Output 5.0-5.5v 6.05 45A

Both the step down transformer AND the power supply unit appear to be working ok as they both light up.

My friendly local guy has tested the power IS getting all the way through to the plug going into the Lumagen.....that's where it seems to stop.

I took the trouble - in my limited knowledge - of taking the top of the Vision Plus just to see if there were possibly any fuses.....none visible and to see if there may be anything obvious.....again nothing visible.

The Projector I am using is a very low hours usage Seleco Data Graphics 700 which is now looking for a signal to project?????

I do not use the projector for anything other than watching occasional sport in my "toy room" from terrestrial TV and the alternate programme while my wife hogs the main house tv in the lounge. I appreciate what I have is very old technology but it does my purpose so i feel a bit lost without the Vision Pro.

Any low cost solution?
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100949football wrote:
My friendly local guy has tested the power IS getting all the way through to the plug going into the Lumagen.....that's where it seems to stop.

Under load? Sometimes if you simply measure the output on the power supply with a voltmeter (which doesn't present any load) it'll measure fine. Put it under load (ie: driving the Lumagen) and that 5 or 12V drops to almost nothing because of old/tired parts in the power supply.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
100949football

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
100949football wrote:

Under load? Sometimes if you simply measure the output on the power supply with a voltmeter (which doesn't present any load) it'll measure fine. Put it under load (ie: driving the Lumagen) and that 5 or 12V drops to almost nothing because of old/tired parts in the power supply.

Kal

Would any 5v power supply do the trick then? Or would I be best trying to get a Lumagen one?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a Lumagen one. One with reverse polarity or not enough current can destroy the Lumagen. I still say get your tech to scope and measure the existing supply under load while it's plugged into the Lumagen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: