Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Onkyo or marantz

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nettwerkjohn

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Onkyo or marantz Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Guys
I'm thinking of either the Onkyo 3030 or the marantz 7009 to replace my ageing and flaky pioneer lx60.

Anyone here have experience with either?
View user's photo album (1 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Onkyo or marantz Reply with quote

nettwerkjohn wrote:
Guys
I'm thinking of either the Onkyo 3030 or the marantz 7009 to replace my ageing and flaky pioneer lx60.

dude! are you trolling? Your not seriously asking whether to pick Honkyo or Marantz are you? Razz
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Onkyo or marantz Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
nettwerkjohn wrote:
Guys

dude! are you trolling? Your not seriously asking whether to pick Honkyo or Marantz are you? Razz

I can believe it - I've worked on some of the newer Marantz units and they are sad compared to other brands...

Hint: You shouldn't be able to drop a pioneer 7 channel amp block into a Marantz without modification...

To my knowledge all onkyo receivers are designed and built by onkyo, unlike Pioneer and Marantz units

Go for the Onkyo! (or a nice Yamaha)

CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that it's necessarily applicable, but I am now running a few year old Pioneer that I got from Mac about 2 years ago, and am running separate power amps. It replaced an Onkyo with HDMI issues that I sent out for service under their extended warranty program. I haven't put it back into the system since getting it back, but I swear that the Onkyo has better surround processing capabilities. I need to put it back in to double check, but I'm pretty sure it sounded better in that regard.
Both receivers were 'calibrated' using their little calibration mics.
nettwerkjohn

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that ended up buying the Onkyo. Gonna give this atmos a whirl...

Bought an ati to drive the front wilson watt/puppies
View user's photo album (1 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt, I still have my c. 2003 Pioneer Elite VSX-45. I just can't seem to give it away even though I am not using it. Its all pre-digital, but it just sounds nice with my original Paradigm Signature setup. I have since replaced it with a Denon, but my heart loves the sound the Pioneer made with those speakers.

Maybe I should consider being burred with them, or get a plot opposite my wife's plot.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Not that it's necessarily applicable, but I am now running a few year old Pioneer that I got from Mac about 2 years ago, and am running separate power amps. It replaced an Onkyo with HDMI issues that I sent out for service under their extended warranty program. I haven't put it back into the system since getting it back, but I swear that the Onkyo has better surround processing capabilities. I need to put it back in to double check, but I'm pretty sure it sounded better in that regard.
Both receivers were 'calibrated' using their little calibration mics.

Curt,
My 1070 has been performing flawlessly since I got it back. Having had both my Marantz sr5300 and NAD t762 in the same room, same speakers, for video use, the Onkyo outshines them both...for audio us, the Marantz is still the best sounding receiver I've ever owned. I'd like to split the two channel audio and video/movies, but my wife absolutely hates the Acoustats and having a turntable out in the room.

Erie
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My plan is to put the still-boxed Onkyo back into the system over the Xmas holidays, when I put the Qualia on the ceiling, and finally put in the two Moome cards into the 909s as well. Irule will also replace the 8 remotes on the damn coffee table. Very Happy

I'll use the Pioneer until then, but will most likely sell it as a preamp only unit with an original Pioneer remote for roughly what I paid Mac for it a year or so ago.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Onkyo or marantz Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
I can believe it - I've worked on some of the newer Marantz units and they are sad compared to other brands...Hint: You shouldn't be able to drop a pioneer 7 channel amp block into a Marantz without modification...
lol, yeah the Honkyo is 18 pounds heavier, and with amps that's telling. However sound quality is not just about weight, I guess If driving 9 channels of some very large low efficiency speakers was my primary goal, and zero music listening, the Honkyo would be the way to go.

Jeremy112 wrote:
To my knowledge all onkyo receivers are designed and built by onkyo, unlike Pioneer and Marantz units
Go for the Onkyo! (or a nice Yamaha)
Not sure what you mean by that? Phillips owned the name starting in 92, and most of their stuff was made in Japan.
Marantz of Japan owned all the Marantz product line from 2001 to 2014, at times merging with Denon, and also buying Boston Acustics . The majority of their stuff was made in China, with a few pieces made in Japan. The 7009 is made in China, but the Honkyo 3030 is made in Malaysia which is think is a step down even from China.
You'll be hard pressed to find stuff actually made in Japan today.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: