Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Replacing the ruby

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nettwerkjohn

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Replacing the ruby Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
After 9 years of good, trouble free service, it's time to replace the ruby.

We looked at the epson laser, but I can't get my head round quasi 4k. Black levels lacking too in all but total fade to black. Very noisy.

Ditto the jvcs. Overpriced at this stage, even in the runout deals.

Tried a panasonic 8000 as it was filthy cheap. Shame the blue panel was out a full pixel. Had a shitfight returning it, but it's gone to the big defective projector heaven in the sky. Panasonic offered to replace it but couldn't find one that was any better so then they decided to tell me it was fine... I will never buy another panasonic product again, ever.

So, where to from here? Can't do dlp as we both see rainbows. I guess the big sony is the next stop. Not looking forward to paying for it. Neutral
View user's photo album (1 photos)
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot about the 3DLP machines Razz
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going from the Ruby and you're calling the JVC's overpriced?

My buddy just bought a B-stock RS56 for like $3100. That's an INCREDIBLE value. One of the very best projected images money can buy, and only a little over three grand.

Personally, unless you're doing a huge screen, I think the RS56 or even a 4910 is a far, far superior value at well under half the price of the VW350. Yeah, the Sony is true 4K, but WTF are you going to watch on it anyway? Oh, and it's not Rec2020 and it's not HDR.

If I were in your shoes, I'd buy a nice used or B-stock JVC (both of which are far superior to the Ruby and to the Panasonic), enjoy watching Blu-rays on it for a year or two while all this UHD/Rec2020/HDR stuff settles down, then sell it and buy something hot-sh*t two years from now.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what Crabb said(but that just may be me protecting myself from a beating next week Shocked Laughing ).

I am not sure if you are talking ANSI or on/off when you talk about black levels. The latest JVCs with a DI are getting into CRT territory. I admit that my RS25 sometimes seems to be lacking in on/off cr, but unfortunately for me I may have gotten a unit with a lower native on/off.

Seriously, I would grab either a JVC or non-4k Sony and wait it out. I think it was Mike Garrett that predicted that JVC will have laser next year and 4k the year after that. That sounds about right.

I'm still not bullish on 4k Blu ray in the short term. Everyone keeps saying it is just around the corner, but I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a lot of content even at this time next year.

Of course, if it is ultimate on/off cr that you are looking for then you might have to rejoin the CRT fold. Wink
nettwerkjohn

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Aware of the 3 chip dlp as an option. Just an almighty expensive one.

We don't have b-stock in new Zealand so it's full retail.

Jvc 500 is 8k. 700 is 10k. 900 is 15k. Epson laser is 11k. The 4k sonys start at 14k.

The thing that's struck me is just how crap the so-called hotshit projectors are. Despite 10 years of evolution...

The epson 9200 - sure it's bright, but their convergence is poos. And it's really noisy.

Realistically it's gonna be a toss up between the jvc 900 and the new mid-range sony 4k.

Yeah, what am I gonna watch on it? If it lasts as long as the ruby then that's 9 years, chances are there'll be plenty if 4k material then. So the jvc is a hard sell, better contrast ratio for sure, but not hdmi 2.2 compliant so goodbye to plugging in the new bluray player and taking advantage of its quasi 4k.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your Ruby broken? If not, then hold on to it. Unfortunately right now we are in a transition phase. Getting 4k, HDR, better color is going to take another year or three.

I understand where you are coming from, but in comparison to your Ruby the JVC, Sony and Epson laser are much better for on/off cr.

If you don't want to pay the inflated NZ price, then buy used from the US.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Is your Ruby broken? If not, then hold on to it. Unfortunately right now we are in a transition phase. Getting 4k, HDR, better color is going to take another year or three.

Yep. No way I'd drop $8500 or $10000 or whatever on one of the new Sonys unless I had money to burn. It's pretty much a guarantee that those projectors will be worth half what you pay for them in just 2-3 years. You could buy a JVC and just throw it in the trash in a couple of years and come out ahead.

Spanky Ham wrote:
I understand where you are coming from, but in comparison to your Ruby the JVC, Sony and Epson laser are much better for on/off cr.

Pretty much anything relatively recent will trounce the Ruby in every aspect of image quality. On/off, ANSI, fill ratio, noise, motion... It's all better on anything made in the last couple of years. The RS56 my buddy just bought for $3100US is so superior, it's laughable. 15k:1 vs 90k:1. LOLs. That was sweet in 2005, wasn't it? Wink The only thing great about the Ruby at this point is the quality of the broadband spectrum color from that sweet Xenon lamp, but considering it's nearly a thousand dollars to replace, I'm not sure that's really much of an advantage.

Spanky Ham wrote:
If you don't want to pay the inflated NZ price, then buy used from the US.

This. Just buy a couple year-old used machine from somebody on AV Science and ship it to NZ. Considering the pricing differences from new in NZ, it seems like it's well worth any risk of not being able to collect on a warranty. Hell, buy something out of warranty! Machines like my old RS45 are going for $1500. Throw a new lamp in it, use it for a year or two while all this UHD/HDR sh*t settles down and content becomes available, then buy the hot-sh*t projector.

SC
nettwerkjohn

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve

I agree. That sweet xenon lamp will cost me about 2200 to land. Which I think is better spent towards a new projector.

We have had a good run n from the ruby. It's surprising how well it's image compares - but good optics and perfect convergence help. A lot. I honestly thought that the epson 9200 (6030 in the states) and the panny 8000 would have seriously outclassed it - but aside from the brightness which is nice and the 3d, surprisingly underwhelming. I'm guessing our room negates some of that contrast as it sure isn't a black hole...

And, the inability to get one with convergence closer than a full pixel out, across the whole screen... I'm, yeah, no thanks. (Or as we say, yeah nah)

I have been offered a jvc 900 for 8k, ex demo with a spare new lamp. I'll probably take it. I have a big chunk Of change to come up with for the ferrari major service. Sad so, not really money to burn...

Man, there's just too many toys and not enough money to pay for them...
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Personally, unless you're doing a huge screen, I think the RS56 or even a 4910 is a far, far superior value at well under half the price of the VW350. Yeah, the Sony is true 4K, but WTF are you going to watch on it anyway? Oh, and it's not Rec2020 and it's not HDR.

+100

Quote:
If I were in your shoes, I'd buy a nice used or B-stock JVC (both of which are far superior to the Ruby and to the Panasonic), enjoy watching Blu-rays on it for a year or two while all this UHD/Rec2020/HDR stuff settles down, then sell it and buy something hot-sh*t two years from now.

I think it'll take longer than that.

Something to remember too is that with every increase in resolution, all things being equal, things are contrast ratio get harder to do right since the responsiveness of the panels gets harder to do right. Smaller bits react slower/less. In other words, if you put resolution aside, it's easier (cheaper) to make a 1080p panel with good specs than a 4K panel. When manufacturers come out with a higher resolution panel (ie: 4K to replace 1080p) they have to work really hard to keep all the others specs "the same", let alone "better".

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nettwerkjohn wrote:
Man, there's just too many toys and not enough money to pay for them...

LOLs. Truer words were never spoken, sir.

SC
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
Check out pricejapan.com I have never used this, but several people on AVS have used it. They are Japanese spec pjs.

Based on your prices above:
JVC 500 - $5k vs $8k
JVC 700 - $8k vs $10k
Sony 300 - $7600 vs $14k

The Sonys are a much better value on this site than the other brand of pjs.

Another option is contact Mike Garrett over at AVS. I know he can ship some pjs overseas, as we discussed it several months ago.
nettwerkjohn

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the vw1100 was tempting at 17 - under half our retail. But, still limited with 4k bluray, so I ended up buying a x900 at close out special - 8k nzd, with spare lamp and 4 sets of 3d glasses and emitter included.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is cool. I hope you enjoy it.

For future reference, I talked to Mike Garrett at Cedia and IIRC he said he can sell b-stock to you but not new. He did say someone can buy it here in the US and ship it to you.

While JVC didn't bring out any 4k pjs this year, they did have a pretty good jump from the old to the new.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what - $5500US? That's a good price for here even; I'm assuming it's a steal in NZ based on what people from your neck of the woods are always saying about prices - especially with a spare lamp and four pairs of glasses. That's a good grand worth of accessories.

You'll love it. Hell of a projector. You'll probably enjoy it for years, but if you get upgradeitis in a year or two, you bought into it right and should be able to unload for decent money.

Congrats!

SC
nettwerkjohn

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, now that i'm home, and have had the chance to watch a few movies, all i can say is wow!

these jvcs are stunning.

with the 4k e-shift on, pixels are invisible even 3" from the screen. image is smooth and filmlike. colours not as good as the ruby, but overall, it is a significant upgrade.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nettwerkjohn wrote:
colours not as good as the ruby, but overall, it is a significant upgrade.

That's odd. Were both the JVC and Sony calibrated? Got the resultant after calibration graphs?

Kal

Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
nettwerkjohn wrote:
colours not as good as the ruby, but overall, it is a significant upgrade.

That's odd. Were both the JVC and Sony calibrated? Got the resultant after calibration graphs?

Kal

I think he's noticing the difference between the Xenon lamp & a standard UHP Mercury Wink

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kak
Both were installed by an isf tech. Don't have color graphs but ruby was "righter"

Jvc still looks better.

I think anyone coming from crt will be happy.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nettwerkjohn wrote:

Yup. I certainly was myself when I installed my RS56 three years ago. My CRT projector (a barco cine 8 clone) wasn't a top of the line 9" unit but it certainly wasn't a slouch. Biggest issue was mostly a slightly soft image due to the lenses.

After installing the JVC my initial fears of "will it look as good as CRT / will I be able to live with this?" changed to "crap I can't believe what I've been missing!".

Your X900 is (I believe) an RS67 ($12K USD street) so even higher end. Nice.

Kal

Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
nettwerkjohn wrote:

Yup. I certainly was myself when I installed my RS56 three years ago. My CRT projector (a barco cine 8 clone) wasn't a top of the line 9" unit but it certainly wasn't a slouch. Biggest issue was mostly a slightly soft image due to the lenses.

After installing the JVC my initial fears of "will it look as good as CRT / will I be able to live with this?" changed to "crap I can't believe what I've been missing!".

Your X900 is (I believe) an RS67 ($12K USD street) so even higher end. Nice.

Kal

LOL, you guys are making me feel bad for giving Rocco my RS400 pre-buy slot. He fears his wife is going to say the same thing. Smile

I have a RS25 that I just took apart and cleaned along with putting a new bulb in (thanks to Steve Smith). Now I am running it in best cr mode and it is looking great. I will live with it for the year, since I had to buy a new van instead of pj. Next year I will be all in on a new JVC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: