Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Home theather / living room from scratch

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
winny

TV/Projector: BD808s, BG1209/2

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Home theather / living room from scratch Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm in the process of moving to a new apartment closer to work and this will give me a golden opportunity to make a good home theater from scratch. My original plan was black shagpile carpets, thick heavy black stage curtains for all walls and not wanting to paint the ceiling, use black tiles for downlight installation and to black out the ceiling from light scatter. My friend/interior decorator said something about "eternal single" so there will be some compromises.
I'm still learning solidworks, but here is a 3D sketch I made.

Oh, and although I do have a job and make money, I might be the least well-paid here on the forum where people can spend ridiculous amount of money on the latest projector, permanent installs and gigantic home theaters, which I can't. Need money for the rest of the furniture as well.

The living room is 3.63 x 5.42 meter. With the screen down, it will be tight.

Perhaps a corner sofa, like IKEA 3+2 Norsborg, http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S99125223/#/S19125203 would make it more of a living room?

A triple curtain rack around all four walls would allow me to darken everything and damp the sound in HT mode and push all of them to one wall for normal living room use. They can hold 5 kg/1.4 meter so no risk of overloading them either. http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80079363/

Two 2x3 meter rugs will cover almost all of the floor and perhaps dark brown is a good compromise between a living room and light reflection? http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40230650/

Any suggestions?

solidworks.jpg
 Description:
3D drawing
 Filesize:  120.26 KB
 Viewed:  18452 Time(s)

solidworks.jpg

norsborg-hornsoffa-gra__0377370_PE558890_S4.JPG
 Description:
Sofa
 Filesize:  13.18 KB

norsborg-hornsoffa-gra__0377370_PE558890_S4.JPG

kvartal-triple-track-rail-grey__0352718_PE388564_S4.JPG
 Description:
Curtain rack
 Filesize:  36.47 KB

kvartal-triple-track-rail-grey__0352718_PE388564_S4.JPG

adum-rug-high-pile-brown__0185536_PE337547_S4.JPG
 Description:
Rug
 Filesize:  78.18 KB
 Viewed:  18451 Time(s)

adum-rug-high-pile-brown__0185536_PE337547_S4.JPG

Last edited by winny on Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Home theather / living room from cratch Reply with quote

winny wrote:
...thick heavy black stage curtains for all walls ...

That would probably overdampen the room. Typical HT acoustics has you being absorptive below ear level and reflective above (while seated). Some will dampen the entire screen wall too.

Good luck!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
winny

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Home theather / living room from cratch Reply with quote

kal wrote:
That would probably overdampen the room. Typical HT acoustics has you being absorptive below ear level and reflective above (while seated). Some will dampen the entire screen wall too.

How come?

Yes, all four walls will have curtains.

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Home theather / living room from cratch Reply with quote

winny wrote:
How come?

What part are you asking about? Why that would probably overdampen the room? Why typical HT acoustics are absorptive below ear level and reflective above (while seated)? Or why some will dampen the entire screen wall as well?

The why's and how's for all of these are are pretty in-depth discussions to get into - you can start reading a bit over at the AVS Forum "Dedicated Theater Design & Construction" section here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/

Or take a look at this "Practical Guide to Home Theater Acoustics" which pretty much summarizes everything into an easier to read format: http://www.curtpalme.com/PracticalHomeTheaterAcoustics.shtm

Quote:
Yes, all four walls will have curtains.

That's a common approach that many people think they should take, but tends to completely overdampen a room. You want some reflection, otherwise the room sounds overly dead. If you take a look around our forum here at pictures people have posted, many will build panels and only partially cover the walls, like this:

Kal

winny

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Home theather / living room from cratch Reply with quote

kal wrote:
What part are you asking about?

Why you wouldn't want dead acoustics? When I'm in a cinema, it sounds far from re-vibrant (is that a word?), although not as dead as an acoustic dead room. I have had the opportunity to visit one 10*10*10 meter which was suspended from the building too and it was uncanny silent to the extent your own heartbeat became too loud to be comfortable.

I'll try to plow though your links. With curtains it will be easy to change them if needed, but making the walls black should lower the light scatter even if they are too thin to dampen any sounds.

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Home theather / living room from cratch Reply with quote

winny wrote:
kal wrote:
What part are you asking about?

Why you wouldn't want dead acoustics?

Because it doesn't sound good. There is zero liveliness to it, no ambiance. Not sure how well to explain it.

Kal

winny

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I come from the live sound world where you never have too little acoustics (on stage in particular) so more damping = better.

Would it be a better compromise with thin black cloth on the walls, shagpile floor and hard black panels under the ceiling?
With three curtain racks I would still have the option to fabricate acoustic panels to hang behind the fabric if needed.

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winny wrote:
Would it be a better compromise with thin black cloth on the walls, shagpile floor and hard black panels under the ceiling?

A thin black cloth stretched on the wall won't do anything.
Without knowing what you mean exactly about the other things (ie: Their acoustic properties), I can't really comment.

Kal

winny

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

A thin black cloth stretched on the wall won't do anything.
Without knowing what you mean exactly about the other things (ie: Their acoustic properties), I can't really comment.

It will reduce light backscatter Smile

winny

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about damping the ceiling and floor with acoustic panels and thick carpet?
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trolling.

Yes I am.

No I'm not, but I have to wonder about dampening the spectator that is watching/listening. Kind of like wearing black ski mask and scarf. How much reflection, acoustically speaking, does a human generate? How about four humans?

And lastly, how much of this matters to the individual who hasn't had their ears tested in a long, long time?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: