Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Turntables - Are they spinning their way back?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrBlonde83

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Quote:
Heh. If I remember right, my KD-550 was almost $500 (about $1800 in today's dollars) when I bought it in the late 70's. PLUS the arm and cartridge.

Damn, I didn't know it was that expensive. I did hear that that turntable did deserve a nice stylus. Only issue with it is the cover hinge is broken, so I just lift it off when I use it.
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my Little Bear phono pre-amp last week. I like it, but it's got a low hum... enough to light up a couple of lights on the spectrum analyzer even when a record isn't being played. I thought v2.5 was supposed to eliminate that grounding problem, but it's definitely there. Can't notice it when the record is playing though.

Turns out the distortion I was getting was from my cartridge, not the cheap SS pre-amp. Swapped out the stylus and all is well. Really sounding sweet.
MrBlonde83

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, My EQ sometimes has a few spikes when a record isn't playing. I don't know if its static electricity from me walking around the room or what. Maybe its the old wiring in the house?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep in mind if you're playing 'Whole Lotta Love' by Zep, the part where the guitars and drums kick in after Robert Plant's screaming break, the distortion is on the original master tape, as they were all drunk while recording it. The tape got hit too hard, and saturated. It drove me nuts in high school, then when I finally got the CD, it was still there. Years later I read an interview online where either Page or Plant admitted they were S-faced while recording it. Smile
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
the distortion is on the original master tape

There's a section on the debut Alabama Shakes album the same way. The first few times I played it the back of my mind was like WTF in my system is about to fry?

Great album... gonna spin it now.

http://www.amazon.com/Boys-Girls-LP-Alabama-Shakes/dp/B0074MZSPO

Ha! I just noticed this on the amazon page for the CD, but not the LP...

http://www.amazon.com/Boys-Girls-Alabama-Shakes/dp/B0074MZSWW
Quote:
PRODUCT ALERT:
Please note that what may appear to be audio distortion or static near the end of the song "Hold On" is an intentional part of the song and not a defect.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Intentional' part of the song? Yeah, right!

There was a local CD that I picked up years ago, and it has a fraction of a second of a test tone in the hit single. It's a great song, but the edit/cue tone drives me INSANE! Smile
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
'Intentional' part of the song? Yeah, right!

Here's the album version with the distortion from 3:00 to end...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPrza6iiCWU#t=02m55s

Production (artistic?) difficulties... do not adjust your set.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarence wrote:
Turns out the distortion I was getting was from my cartridge, not the cheap SS pre-amp. Swapped out the stylus and all is well. Really sounding sweet.
getting all the components in an analog system to play nicely together can be daunting. took me years to figure out that my speaker cables were a bad, high capacitance design. The home theater always sounds great, never an issue with sound quality, but put on some music and it always sounded wrong. So i spent countless efforts swapping this and that, even replacing my entire TT with a different model.

It's so counter intuitive, you would think a multi-channel signal would be the hard one to tame, until you stop and consider that a movie is basically dialogue, back-ground music, and noises. Pure music is much harder, everything has to be just right.
Now my TT sounds amazing, especially with the little bear, and I'm afraid to touch or change anything.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Just keep in mind if you're playing 'Whole Lotta Love' by Zep, the part where the guitars and drums kick in after Robert Plant's screaming break, the distortion is on the original master tape, as they were all drunk while recording it. The tape got hit too hard, and saturated. It drove me nuts in high school, then when I finally got the CD, it was still there. Years later I read an interview online where either Page or Plant admitted they were S-faced while recording it. Smile
yeah, .......hard to put too much weight on that comment by Page. Regardless of how impaired the performers might be there is a professional recording engineer behind the console who is presumably sober. None of the original Zeppelins sounded very good, and I think it was mostly the mass-produced Atlantic label at fault.
The very best are the ones for sale now on vinyl, and I've owned them all. Original Atlantic, Original Swan Song (these were ok), Classic records re-issues (1990's), and the current ones are the best by a wide margin. Still $25. each sin't cheap, but your getting vinyl pressed in Germany by Pella, cream of the crop for new records. Careful of that polished edge though, very easy to drop Sad

Last edited by draganm on Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
you need more albums, Wink

I reached the point that when at the record store I couldn't remember all of the ones I had or was missing, so I made a list that I could check on my phone:
http://loco-photo.com/vinyl.htm
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy smokes, you've only been back into vinyl for 5-6 months and you have over 400 albums. You got it bad, dude. Laughing
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Stone magazine's Top 500 seems to be a nice collection.

I add the album cover to this list once the LP is on my shelf...
http://loco-photo.com/rs500.htm

But it highlights how much my young collection is missing.
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped by a record store next to my son's college and found 8 more of the Top 500 in the $2 bins! The shop owner says he just bought 15,000 LPs from a hoarder and needs to move a lot of stock to make room.

And these are all VG+.

#450 Jackson Browne - For Everyman has some heavy cover edge wear/peeling, but the vinyl is minty.
#147 CSNY Deja vu
#338. Big Brother & Holding Company - Cheap Thrills
#71 Simon, Paul - Graceland
#187 Gabriel, Peter - So
#61 Sly and the Family Stone
#158 John, Elton - Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy
#359 John, Elton - Honky Chateau
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spent 3 hours last night listening to vinyl with a friend, it was a good time. He brought over a lot of stuff I don't normally listen to or even know about, including blue grass and some country by Female vocalists. I must admit I enjoyed it, must be getting old Laughing We also put a CD in the BD player and listened to it ( 2-channel) just to make sure it still sucked Wink

He also brought over his Rega - Fono Mini A2D, which was noticeably inferior to the little Bear , despite costing $25. more. The Bass really hollowed out and it pushed everything forward, so a lot more of an edgy presentation. Those 2 things are almost forgivable, but the sibilant issues it added to vocals was really bad. Vinyl will typically have a little in most systems, but with this phono pre it was spitting out slurred SSSs's's's' like nobody's business.

Just noticed this morning It has a USB out, dam I should have borrowed it for a few days

Clarence wrote:
I stopped by a record store next to my son's college and found 8 more of the Top 500 in the $2 bins! The shop owner says he just bought 15,000 LPs from a hoarder and needs to move a lot of stock to make room.
wow, someone actually hoarded something worth hoarding Laughing

Clarence wrote:
And these are all VG+.

#450 Jackson Browne - For Everyman has some heavy cover edge wear/peeling, but the vinyl is minty.
#147 CSNY Deja vu
#338. Big Brother & Holding Company - Cheap Thrills
#71 Simon, Paul - Graceland
#187 Gabriel, Peter - So
#61 Sly and the Family Stone
#158 John, Elton - Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy
#359 John, Elton - Honky Chateau
Graceland is a great album, and Deja Vu is also a must for any collection.
Honky chateau is also one of Elton's best, I was thrilled to score a NM first pressing of in a thrift. Still looking for Madman across the Water

Peter Gabriel's So unfortunately, while a great musical work, is a crappy low rez digital master with cranked up treble and lower bass, could seriously use a re-master on that one if an analog master exists.
jask

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice stuff! I count Graceland as one of the great albums,but those are all excellent. I lucked out on some vinyl today as well

Lynard Skynyrd One more from the road
Santana ( three)
Bad Co. Rough Diamonds
" " burning sky
whitesnake come and get it
Rainbow On Stage
" " Rising
Police Regatta de blanc
Alice Cooper Killer
greatest hits
welcome to my nightmare
love it to death
schools out

and some greg kihn, Eurythmics,Kings, Chris Rea, Graham Parker, Honey drippers

All in MINT MINTY MINT-O -LISHOUS condition, flawless not even fingerprints, most with original plastic , and poly outer album sleeves........ averaged price.... 1.50$ each
View user's photo album (4 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my biggest problem now is cleaning, all old records need cleaning and i have 2 dozen sitting that I've picked up this year, some are decent while others are filthy.
Put that on my "snow day" list of things to do.
jask

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a small pile of dirty records that I have been procrastinating for too long about cleaning... keep hoping I can gradually find better replacements....

Here is the ONE TRUE METHOD to clean vinyl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY6uKQmvOro

Wink
View user's photo album (4 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jask wrote:
I have a small pile of dirty records that I have been procrastinating for too long about cleaning... keep hoping I can gradually find better replacements....

Here is the ONE TRUE METHOD to clean vinyl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY6uKQmvOro

Wink
LOL, gotta love the sense of humor. Uptight audiophiles = no fun
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jask wrote:
I lucked out on some vinyl today as well

whitesnake come and get it
Police Regatta de blanc

All in MINT MINTY MINT-O -LISHOUS condition, flawless not even fingerprints, most with original plastic , and poly outer album sleeves........ averaged price.... 1.50$ each

Thumbs Up

I'm spinning Ratt "Invasion of Your Privacy" now. Got Whitesnake last week, too. All of the Police albums are in my favorites. All of them are in the RS500 list, except for Zenyatta Mondatta, which I like a lot more than Synchronicity...
x 323. Police - Ghost In The Machine
x 372. Police - Reggatta De Blanc
x 428. Police - Outlandos D'Amour
x 448. Police - Synchronicity

Way too many other new finds to list (I'm now filling my 3rd ikea storage shelf), but here are this week's additions to my Rolling Stone Top 500 collection...
x 263. Chapman, Tracy - Tracy Chapman
x 443. Cheap Trick - In Color
x 475. Costello, Elvis & Attractions - Armed Forces
x 102. Cream - Fresh Cream
x 84. Franklin, Aretha - I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You
x 414. Go-Go's - Beauty and the Beat
x 92. Holly, Buddy & Crickets - 20 Golden Greats
x 359. John, Elton - Honky Chateau
x 458. John, Elton - Tumbleweed Connection
x 30. Mitchell, Joni - Blue
x 113. Mitchell, Joni - Court and Spark
x 155. Pretenders - Pretenders
x 213. Rolling Stones - Tattoo You
x 149. Santana - Santana
x 207. Santana - Abraxas
x 61. Sly & Family Stone - Greatest Hits
x 240. Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill
x 57. Wonder, Stevie - Songs in the Key of Life (a great Sunday Morning listen)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

almost anything from the 70's is good, but there's some good material from the 80's that suffers from the "digital disease". Put on Steve Winwoods Back in the Highlife , and I could tell immediately from the upper-midrange glare that it was a digital master. That and Winwood has "programmed" digital drums into every song. not that they sound bad per se, but they just don't sound like drums and I'm not into "sound effects" when I want to listen to music.

I guess it was just a sign of the times, but a lot of these were recorded on tape so there's hope for a pure analogue remaster at some point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 9 of 14
Jump to: