Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Free Win10 OS

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Free Win10 OS Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm running retail Win7 on my office PC and MS has informed me via auto update I'm eligible for a free upgrade to full blown Win10 when it rolls out shortly.

Would you if you were in my shoes? Confused

greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you decrepit and stuck in your ways? Then just stay with W7 for some time. Laughing

Do you absolutely need to control everything about your machine and want to micromanage all updates, settings, etc.? probably just stay where you are until the dust settles.

Will you be keeping this particular machine for more than 2 years after this July 29th? Then I would recommend upgrading.

I am using the pre-release versions on an old laptop that started with Vista, then W7, then W8, and now has W10. Besides a touch pad driver issue, everything has been fine. I am also experimenting with it on my Dell Venue Pro 8 tablet. They are still changing the UI fairly significantly between each rev, but I imagine that will slow down some very quickly. The tablet specific features aren't quite vetted yet, but it is useable for sure.

I will be upgrading as soon as it is released and will work through the various issues as there always are while the 3rd parties get their driver bugs worked out. The July 29th date is fairly aggressive, but as this will be the last major rev of the OS (continuously updated from here on out, windows as a service, etc.), it is a fairly arbitrary date just to draw a line in the sand.
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If no media center I am sticking with 7 for my media machines

May use it for customer builds

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little late to the party. If you have 7 and like it, then I would stand pat till say Oct or Nov. If you have 8 and hate it, then go ahead and jump on in.

The free upgrade is good for one year, so you have until July of '16. It stays free, which means you never have to pay in the future for this upgrade on the box you are running. The only caveat is you have to opt in to MS auto updates and there is no getting around it.

For buying the OS outright, I think MS went a little high on their pricing. I think $50 for home and $75 for pro should have been enough. I may have been tempted at that point, but I will stick with Ubuntu.

I should add that as Big E alluded to there is no Media Center. If you use that, then you are pretty much stuck with 7. It looks like MS is trying to make the Xbox the media center box not the PC. I wonder if people will think about switching to Mythbuntu or Kodi on Linux.
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spunky windows 8 does have media center as a option but(and it's a big one) most remotes won't work with 8

Sucks but true

Looks like I will stick with 7 till they drop support then go to Linux

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows 98 for the win! Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Windows 98 for the win! Laughing

Had my xp media center disc not broke I would be still running it

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't the add on to Win 8 expensive?

Even so, I would rather go with 10 and do without MC then live with 8 and MC.
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Wasn't the add on to Win 8 expensive?

Even so, I would rather go with 10 and do without MC then live with 8 and MC.

They had a small window where it was free if you had a certain version of windows(which happened to be the most expensive version)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: