Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Least possible lag for a scaler?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
ecrabb wrote:
CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
I always prefer the original untouched resolution, it looks very good and was designed that way!!

To be fair though, those original resolutions don't exacly look the same displayed on a monitor that's massively sharper than anything that existed 20-30 years ago. I mean, if you're displaying a game from 1985 on a six-foot screen, you're already straying very far away from how those games were ever originally designed.

SC

I have to dissagree there Crabb, 240p on my XG looks f***en excellent in every sense of the word, even on my 9 foot wide screen.

Its one area where the XG really blows the Cine 9 away.

The biggest screens i saw used in any arcade were 50" 4:3 rear projection, usually Mitsubishi or Toshiba, but a couple used Pioneer and some even used Sony. Most arcade games were 240p 60Hz, which is the resolution used by most home consoles up til the Panasonic 3DO used a 640x480i standard, more than 80% of Sega Saturn games were 240p, with a small few using 480i for NTSC and 576i for the improved PAL versions.

If youve ever played Sega Rally on the Saturn ( in your case it wouldve probably been the rushed US version that lacked the polished graphics of the Japan and PAL versions ) with it upscaled, it looks HORRIBLE, yet in its original 288p 50Hz original format looks pretty damn good for it's day.

The problem with upscaling them is usually looking more blocky than they even did on 240p, which makes them look worse.

The majority of games for current consoles are 720p, but the difference there is the console does the scaling on the fly and makes them look perfectly fine at 1080p.

Scaling 240p to 960p makes them look just like youre playing an emulator, and the whole idea of using genuine original hardware is to have them look perfect, as they did back then.

Case, you're talking like a purest! Next you'll be saying digital is terrible and records sound the best and....oh wait, You're right! Nevermind Wink

Carry on!

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say that now at certain times, where ever particular people congregate... Laughing

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Maybe this is something for You (at least when it's available): http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=45877

Or this: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52158

Regards,
barclay66
View user's photo album (25 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: