Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Moome Contrast Adjustment Process

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Moome Contrast Adjustment Process Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi,

I just put this document together on how to correctly adjust the contrast potentiometer. Some parts of the text were "inspired" by posts on this site dealing with the same topic. I hope the original authors (I thing it's Craig mainly) won't feel offended...

Regards,
barclay66

Moome Contrast Adjustment Process.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Moome Contrast Adjustment Process.pdf
 Filesize:  476.92 KB
 Downloaded:  866 Time(s)

View user's photo album (25 photos)
haireez

TV/Projector: Vidikron Vision 1 - Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if some of us do not have oscilloscope? Can we do another method to reset it to original of 0.7 volts?

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

That will be quite difficult, but I will try to find some alternative. Maybe a small additional circuit that will produce a defined voltage (measurable with a conventional multimeter) when a specific input signal (picture content and resolution) is used. Let me work on that...

Regards,
barclay66
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barclay66 wrote:
Hi,

That will be quite difficult, but I will try to find some alternative. Maybe a small additional circuit that will produce a defined voltage (measurable with a conventional multimeter) when a specific input signal (picture content and resolution) is used. Let me work on that...

Regards,
barclay66

I think it can be done in two steps with a DMM:
1.) Show a full black pattern on full screen, check the output signal with a DMM and write down the value.
2.) Show a full white pattern on full screen, check the output signal again with the DMM, the difference should be 0,7V (ie. white level-black level = 0,7V)*

* Now I'm pretty sure there is a period in the output signal which is always black, due to the retrace, that might interfere with the DMM's sampling, resulting in unstable readings.
-> one should put a 100uF 10V capacitor between output (+) and ground (-) during the measurement.
-> use classical analog voltmeter (if you have one) instead of DMM, so you dont need the capacitor.

View user's photo album (1 photos)
barclay66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
* Now I'm pretty sure there is a period in the output signal which is always black, due to the retrace, that might interfere with the DMM's sampling, resulting in unstable readings.
-> one should put a 100uF 10V capacitor between output (+) and ground (-) during the measurement.
-> use classical analog voltmeter (if you have one) instead of DMM, so you dont need the capacitor.

Hi,

It should be a solution which works with different types and qualities of multimeters. Otherwise there are too many factors that could deliver erraneous results. A capacitor connected directly to the signal would simply kill it off as the capacitor represents something like a short for high frequency signals. There's even a chance that it could damage the corresponding video amplifier opamp.
I will try with a resistor (something in the 10-100K range) and a diode that charges a small capacitor (around 1µF) so that I get a voltage without significantly influencing the signal. The diode will prevent any of the capacitor's charge to flow back onto the signal although its forward voltage drop will reduce the final voltage level (maybe putting several in parallel will work better). But it's not necessary to produce exactly 0.7V at its output. Any other reproducable result which represents a 0.7V pp video level will be sufficient...

Regards,
barclay66

Moome_contrast_circuit.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.23 KB
 Viewed:  13033 Time(s)

Moome_contrast_circuit.jpg

gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barclay66 wrote:

Hi,

It should be a solution which works with different types and qualities of multimeters. Otherwise there are too many factors that could deliver erraneous results. A capacitor connected directly to the signal would simply kill it off as the capacitor represents something like a short for high frequency signals. There's even a chance that it could damage the corresponding video amplifier opamp.
I will try with a resistor (something in the 10-100K range) and a diode that charges a small capacitor (around 1µF) so that I get a voltage without significantly influencing the signal. The diode will prevent any of the capacitor's charge to flow back onto the signal although its forward voltage drop will reduce the final voltage level (maybe putting several in parallel will work better). But it's not necessary to produce exactly 0.7V at its output. Any other reproducable result which represents a 0.7V pp video level will be sufficient...

Regards,
barclay66

With a full white test pattern there isn't much high frequency signal, think of it as a ~99% duty square wave, which is smoothed by the capacitor. The video output should have 75 Ohm output impedance, that ensures the output even can be shorted...

For the series diode a schottky type could be a good choice, that still have 0.3V loss or so, which is temperature dependant, and even depend on the actual device somewhat. Without terminating the output the signal is twice as big, so there is some voltage to loose, but the reflections should be considered as a residual effect.

View user's photo album (1 photos)
barclay66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
gjaky wrote:
The video output should have 75 Ohm output impedance, that ensures the output even can be shorted...

Possible. But we don't know which opamps Moome used on his cards (markings removed/replaced). So we don't know about their maximum allowed output current. 0.7V at 75 ohms result in 9.3mA. A CLC449 can deliver up to 80mA. Maybe the ones Moome used can deliver less. And if the output got "shorted" due to a large cap, there wouldn't be anything left for measuerement.

gjaky wrote:
With a full white test pattern there isn't much high frequency signal, think of it as a ~99% duty square wave, which is smoothed by the capacitor.

Yes. I had this type of test picture in mind as it produces the maximum output voltage over time.

gjaky wrote:
Without terminating the output the signal is twice as big, so there is some voltage to loose, but the reflections should be considered as a residual effect.

I think that this can be neglected as the signal is tapped only (therefore I would like to use a resistor with a higher value). It stays connected to the VIM's 2nd RGB input and is terminated with 75 ohms there...

Regards,
barclay66
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good write up.

One suggestion though would be to get the green signal off the multipin connector rather than the resistor. Those members who don't normally do surface mount soldering will have an easier time adding the test lead and have less chance of damaging the board. You can connect to the pin on the underside of the board if it's inaccessible from the top. This will also protect again board solder fatigue.

Also, the easiest test pattern to use is a 100 IRE window. The 100 IRE window shows full 100 IRE (0.7 volt peak white) and full 0 IRE black. The difference on the oscilloscope between black and white should be set to 0.7 volts.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haireez wrote:
What if some of us do not have oscilloscope? Can we do another method to reset it to original of 0.7 volts?

One thing you can do if you have a colorimeter or spectroradiometer is to measure the light level of a 100 IRE window on the screen. If you keep your meter in the same place and at the same angle you can adjust your contrast up and down for testing and then you know about where to set it back based on light output from the projector. This is not as accurate as with a scope but it can work in a pinch. In the field when I don't have a scope I always measure peak white first so that if I accidentally turn the contrast knob I can get the contrast back to default.

Also, if you adjust gamma, your contrast will change a little. You can use that technique to adjust gamma and then restore contrast to the default value. If you try this, you should measure peak white with the gamma disabled first.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use a multi meter to adjust this, the best thing to do is take a voltage test reading of a 100 IRE white field before adjusting the contrast control. That becomes your baseline voltage. Then if you ever adjust the contrast control and need to get it back you can use the same white field pattern and set the contrast back to the same voltage.

Theoretically, anyone with a moome card here could take the measurement on any board and provide the number. With a true 100 IRE field the voltage should be the same on all cards. But that's only if the field is a full field and exactly 100 IRE.

Best
craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
barclay66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:
One suggestion though would be to get the green signal off the multipin connector rather than the resistor. Those members who don't normally do surface mount soldering will have an easier time adding the test lead and have less chance of damaging the board. You can connect to the pin on the underside of the board if it's inaccessible from the top. This will also protect again board solder fatigue.

Thanks!

I will add this when I add the DMM measurement procedure...

Regards,
barclay66
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: