Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

BluRays on laptop?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:14 am    Post subject: BluRays on laptop? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I want to be able to play BDs on my laptop. It's a quad-core 8-thread 2.2 GHz with 64-bit Win7 and 16GB of RAM.

I've got Media Player Classic and the latest K-Lite Mega Pack. In theory that's supposed to work. But when I try to play a disk, MPC says "Playing" but it doesn't do anything. It's only consuming 3-4% of the CPU.

Do I need AnyDVD HD or something like that?
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try to play it directly from the disc? If so, your graphics adapter is not HDCP compliant, therefore you need Any DVD. But before you purchase simply copy the content of the disc to the hard drive of the computer (or to any external drive) and try to play from there to see if it plays, HDCP only protects when playing directly from disc. If you still not get picture then there is an other issue.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of laptop and does it have a BD drive ? My HP dv-7 works just fine. are you trying to just play a commercial BD or a recorded ISO file ?
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gabor,

Yes, I tried to play it from the disk. If I open it in MPC, it says it's "Playing" but nothing happens. No video and the time counter doesn't move. Then I tried opening the STREAM folder, and after a couple of minutes beating on the disk it started "Playing" but nothing came out. And the time counter was only increasing one second every 5-6 seconds. Then for 5-10 seconds the time counter went at realtime, while the drive was seeking like crazy, but still no video.

I tried copying a *.m2ts file to my disk and playing it. MPC said it "couldn't render" the file. So I copied the entire contents of the disk and it still did the "Playing" but no video and no movement in the time counter. I tried moving the slider to different points in the video and then the time counter moved in realtime but still no video.

It also seems to have killed my audio. I'll probably have to reboot to get my sound back.

Any guesses?
El Duderino

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks to me like even with K-Lite Mega Pack, you'll have some hoops to jump through adding filters, setting merits, and configuring the filters. I don't have any experience with MPC and that route, and my suspicion is that even if you get it to work with disk 'A', you might have troubles with disk 'B' due to copy protection.

I use the old TotalMedia Theater player, and without AnyDVD running, I can't play from any recent disk.

I do find this: Warning, this link set off my virus detector and blocked some content.

http://stream-recorder.com/forum/play-blu-ray-discs-media-player-classic-t4991.html?s=0f857078bc00202e4c23e7b01374d6e0&s=db4a292d101b1aac803100dc032caed0&

It claims that even with the filter hoops, you have to decrypt it first.

It is possible to play Blu-Ray discs with Media Player Classic after insalling filters mentioned below. Please note that you need to decrypt your files first using software like AnyDVD HD.

There are several variations of Blu-Ray files that are used:

.m2ts files,
MPEG-2,
VC1,
MPEG-4 AVC

How to set up Media Player Classic to play Blu-Ray discs
Select View -> Options -> External filters

Add filter "Haali Media Splitter (AR)", Set merit 00900000, Set Prefer
Add Filter "ffdshow audio decoder", Set merit 00700000
Add filter "cyberlink H.264/AVC Decoder", Set merit 00900400
Add Filter "Sonic Cinemaster Audio Decoder 4.3.0", Set merit 00805000
Add Filter "ffdshow video decoder", Set merit 00800000 (late fix to stop ffdshow taking over from cyberlink)
Add Filter "Sonic Cinemaster Video Decoder", Set merit 00700000 (late fix to stop Cinemaster Video taking over from ffdshow video)
* Add Filter "Cyberlink Video/SP Decoder (pdvd7), set merit "prefer" (Try this for some hardware acceleration in Windows XP)
* Add Filter "Nvidia Video Decoder", Set merit "Prefer" (block cyberlink) (try this for hardware acceleration in Windows XP/Vista if you have Nvidia Purevideo)

Select View -> Options -> Internal filters

Deselect any mpeg, matroska from the source list
Deselect any AC3, mpeg from the transport filter list

How to set up Windows Media Player 11 to play Blu-Ray discs

Windows Media Player v11
cl264dec.ax (Video) (cyberlink H264/AVC Decoder from PowerDVD)
splitter.ax (Haali media splitter (AR) from Haali Matroska splitter)
cinemaster audio.dll (Audio)(Sonic Cinemaster Audio Decoder v 4.3 from Cineplayer Codec Pack)
ffdshow.ax (Audio)(ffdshow audio decoder from FFDshow)

Alternative method of playing Blu-Ray discs using Arcsoft filters from Arcsoft Totalmedia Extreme
Download and install the free version of Arcsoft Totalmedia Extreme and

Add filter "Arcsoft MPEG Demux", Set to "Prefer"
Add filter "Arcsoft Video Decoder", Set to "Prefer"
Add filter "Arcsoft Audio Decoder HD", Set to "Prefer"
BLOCK any other splitter/demuxers you already have in your external filter list

Now you can play Blu-Ray discs with Media Player Classic and Windows Media Player. Please note that this requires a lot of processor power.

Advantages of using Media Player Classic

Full resolution screen capture of the movie
You can zoom the movie to get rid of the black bars (numpad key 9)
You don't need an approved graphics card, almost any PCI-e card will work (Nvidia 7300 at 80% CPU)
You don't have to waste time with menus, trailers and adverts

Disadvantages of using Media Player Classic

Minimum processor Core2duo
No Dolby TrueHD tracks available using Haali splitter (You can Nero Audio Decoder 2 and Nero Splitter, but it requires the purchase of the HD-DVD/Blu-ray plug-in for Nero 7)
Not very good with AGP graphics cards
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, there is no need for any external filters. Just for the fun of it you should remove the entire codec pack, then simply install the latest MPC-HC version, and see what happens. BTW what VGA is in your laptop?
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is already the latest 64-bit MPC. I just downloaded it two days ago. Do you mean I should RE-install it, after removing K-Lite?

What a freaking PITA. Just so I can play my OWN disks on my OWN computer.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
I just downloaded it two days ago. Do you mean I should RE-install it, after removing K-Lite?

Yes.

garyfritz wrote:

Safety first! Laughing

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you wanted to know the VGA hardware in the laptop. This is an HP dv7-6199us with Radeon HD 6770M switchable graphics. I actually had BluRay working on this system at one point, before I replaced the HD and re-installed windows, but it was always so slow it was unwatchable. But now I can't get it working at all.

I realized I hadn't actually downloaded a fresh MPC-HD. I downloaded a fresh K-Lite Mega Pack, and that *included* MPC-HD. So I uninstalled K-Lite, rebooted, downloaded MPC-HD from mpc-hd.org, and installed that. No change.

I also tried using Handbrake and Freemake on both the BD and the hard-drive copy of the BD. No joy.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Oh, you wanted to know the VGA hardware in the laptop. This is an HP dv7-6199us with Radeon HD 6770M switchable graphics. I actually had BluRay working on this system at one point, before I replaced the HD and re-installed windows, but it was always so slow it was unwatchable. But now I can't get it working at all.

I realized I hadn't actually downloaded a fresh MPC-HD. I downloaded a fresh K-Lite Mega Pack, and that *included* MPC-HD. So I uninstalled K-Lite, rebooted, downloaded MPC-HD from mpc-hd.org, and installed that. No change.

I also tried using Handbrake and Freemake on both the BD and the hard-drive copy of the BD. No joy.

There is no question that machine should play Blurays fluently. Do you feel your laptop is fast in all other areas, only lacking in blurays, or do you have complaints on general performance as well?

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It had been getting extremely slow. I just swapped in an SSD and now I feel it's very quick. It boots up in a few seconds, launches apps quickly, etc. I also boosted it to 16GB so I never have a problem with running out of RAM, which I used to have. (I run several large apps and my Firefox typically bloats up to 1GB or more if I let it run for several days.)

Whereas the Blurays are a total fail. Not just slow, but nothing. No video, no nothin'. I don't think this is a performance issue.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But as you said it 8the Blu ray playback) never worked as it should, so I guess something elemental here. Maybe you should try Win 10 when it comes out...

I played blurays on far slower pc-s than yours, without problems.

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh. OK, thanks for the help Gabor. %@#%@!!! HDCP....
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I'd try is to poke around the switchable graphics... Are both drivers are up to date, maybe you should completely disable the AMD card for the sake of testing, and so on.

.mkv movie trailers play fine BTW? How does the 1080p (and beyond) youtube clips play?

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, MKVs play fine, with any of several players. No problem with 1080p youtubes.

The drivers are totally up-to-date. I downloaded everything fresh when I put in the SSD 2 months ago.

Not eager to play with the switchable graphics. In a previous installation I messed with them and it never really worked right after that... but I suppose it's possible that was when the Bluray disks would play, even if badly?
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Not eager to play with the switchable graphics. In a previous installation I messed with them and it never really worked right after that... but I suppose it's possible that was when the Bluray disks would play, even if badly?

So which VGA is active then?

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh. Honestly I'm not sure. I haven't messed with the switchable stuff in years -- I liked that it wasn't switching itself all the time so I left it alone -- and I don't remember how to configure it. I can't find any obvious configuration utilities.

If I look in Device Manager it shows both the Radeon and Mobile Intel graphics. Not sure if that's an artifact of the switching graphics, or if I just installed a driver I don't need. System Information also shows both.
El Duderino

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
I don't think this is a performance issue.

garyfritz wrote:

Agreed on both points.

It's somewhat ironic to me that the state of CP on BD on a PC almost necessitates using black-market means. Confused
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone get this working? I have a Win7 laptop with switchable graphics and a bluray drive.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Tedd

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest you make sure everything including the OS, is updated.

ww.secunia.com's PSI is a good update program and once you identify and have everything updated, then you can use the msconfig command
in the run box and under the startup tab, uncheck the box for it to automatically load next boot (Be careful as you can kill your OS with some
of what's accessible via msconfig...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: