Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

"SMTP.php" errors

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Forum Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: "SMTP.php" errors Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
FYI: Some of you may have noticed occasional "SMTP.php" errors when posting over the last couple of months. That's because there's occasional errors between our server and the email service (SendGrid.com) I pay for to have forum email notifications sent. For whatever reason, about 5% of the time our server is unable to open an SMTP socket over at SendGrid in order to send that notification email.

Posts are still getting posted, it's simply that about 5% of the time you'll get bounced to an error message page instead of your post. No need to post again (though I've noticed that some have). I want to get this fixed to avoid the confusion, and to ensure that people still continue to receive their forum email notifications of course.

I have both sides working looking at the routing paths and they've noticed some oddities with the way traffic's routed by their internet service providers, so we hope to have this cleared up soon.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: "SMTP.php" errors Reply with quote

kal wrote:
FYI: Some of you may have noticed occasional "SMTP.php" errors when posting over the last couple of months. That's because there's occasional errors between our server and the email service (SendGrid.com) I pay for to have forum email notifications sent. For whatever reason, about 5% of the time our server is unable to open an SMTP socket over at SendGrid in order to send that notification email.

Posts are still getting posted, it's simply that about 5% of the time you'll get bounced to an error message page instead of your post. No need to post again (though I've noticed that some have). I want to get this fixed to avoid the confusion, and to ensure that people still continue to receive their forum email notifications of course.

I have both sides working looking at the routing paths and they've noticed some oddities with the way traffic's routed by their internet service providers, so we hope to have this cleared up soon.

Kal

In terms of posting twice. That seems to happen on its own after you see the error.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: "SMTP.php" errors Reply with quote

km987654 wrote:
In terms of posting twice. That seems to happen on its own after you see the error.

I've never once had one of my hundreds of recent posts get posted twice, including the few times I've seen the error. Not once.

I think what's happening in the case of the double-posts is that in some cases, the server is taking so long to respond after the user clicks the "Submit" button, that users are getting impatient and clicking the "Submit" button a second time, thereby posting the same post twice.

By using two browser windows, I've figured out where the problem lies. It's not actually the posting (writing the post to the database) that's taking a long time. Rather, it's the reloading of the page once the post is submitted to the database. Try it sometime... Once you click the "Submit" button, open a new browser window, load the site, and look at the thread. Often the post/reload action takes so long, I can hit "Submit", open a new window, type in the URL, load the site, click the thread, and see my new post, and the original window still won't have refreshed. I'd guess it takes in excess of 15-20 seconds to refresh the view after posting sometimes. I should start timing it to see what reality is vs. my perception. Editing a post is always much faster.

I don't know if any that has to do with the SMTP error to which Kal is referring.

Cheers,
SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timed that last post - ~15 seconds to refresh the view with the new post.
Edited the post - ~2-3 seconds.

SC

EDIT - Ha! Just got the error when I posted this. I hit "back" twice and refreshed, and indeed my post was saved successfully. If I had hit "back" and submitted again, I would have double-posted.
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: "SMTP.php" errors Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
km987654 wrote:

I've never once had one of my hundreds of recent posts get posted twice, including the few times I've seen the error. Not once.

I think what's happening in the case of the double-posts is that in some cases, the server is taking so long to respond after the user clicks the "Submit" button, that users are getting impatient and clicking the "Submit" button a second time, thereby posting the same post twice.

By using two browser windows, I've figured out where the problem lies. It's not actually the posting (writing the post to the database) that's taking a long time. Rather, it's the reloading of the page once the post is submitted to the database. Try it sometime... Once you click the "Submit" button, open a new browser window, load the site, and look at the thread. Often the post/reload action takes so long, I can hit "Submit", open a new window, type in the URL, load the site, click the thread, and see my new post, and the original window still won't have refreshed. I'd guess it takes in excess of 15-20 seconds to refresh the view after posting sometimes. I should start timing it to see what reality is vs. my perception. Editing a post is always much faster.

I don't know if any that has to do with the SMTP error to which Kal is referring.

Cheers,
SC

You may be right about that. As I recall when that happened (double post) hitting the submit button didn't seem to do anything so perhaps I hit it again. Call me impatient.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Steve mentioned, posting and getting the SMTP error are two separate things. The posting action is done as soon soon as you click submit and then the system tries to connect to an SMTP (outgoing mail) server across the country to send the notification email (if required) and that's failing.

Often I think people are simply hitting the browser BACK button and then clicking submit again because they figure the post didn't make it, hence the reason for double or even triple posts.

I'd bypass the error message, but I want to actually keep getting them so that I know when it's fixed....

Kal

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I'd bypass the error message, but I want to actually keep getting them so that I know when it's fixed....

Good call. It's a minor inconvenience for users, and it's no big deal to delete a few double-posts in the meantime, which I've been doing when I see them, along with the occasional spam.

Cheers,
SC
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drives me nuts to not have things working right however. ARG!

Kal

the big E

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal it could be worse
I have three forums I visit
This one
Phantompilots(for my dji phantom quadcopter)
Cadillacowners

The second one always tends to kick me out(been meaning to report it but haven't) and after getting the debug mode page(2 times so far)
It's driving me up the wall as I am a pc tech and have enough nuttiness with my work :p

I will be glad it's fixed(yes it bugs me when stuff doesn't work as it should)

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working with our hosting provider for weeks now to resolve this and it appears it may be finally fixed. Seems it was some sort of hard to pinpoint DNS routing error. DNS's were moved to different machines and the problems seem to have gone (at least they have over the least ~day or so).

Kal

the big E

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news kal glad to know its been fixed(problems like that bug me like crazy)
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ug. Not sure however... just got another error it seems. It appears better, but not solved. The search continues.

Kal

the big E

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh great why do they do this to us? Haha it's crazy
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Could not connect to smtp host : 0 :

DEBUG MODE

Line : 114
File : smtp.php"

1:53am Sunday March 15 2015

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

Could not connect to smtp host : 0 :

DEBUG MODE

File : smtp.php

1:54am

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

Could not connect to smtp host : 0 :

DEBUG MODE

File : smtp.php

x 2, 1:54am

CRT.

HD done right!
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something is surely screwed up somewhere for it to error that many times
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some network changes were made at the hosting company and we've been 8 days now without any SMTP errors... fingers crossed, but it looks like it's gone for good.

I did just get a log of one SMTP error just a few minutes ago - it's a "real" error where the sendgrid.com SMTP service was unavailable for a few minutes and we got an actual error message back (which is good). All of the other issues were ones where the connection could not be established (data was lost in transmission immediately) and no error message was returned.

Kal

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

CRT.

HD done right!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happens from time to time.... not related to email (SMTP) issues.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Forum Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: