Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

HP Envy 23-d065 AIO - Cracked Screen - Replace?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:43 am    Post subject: HP Envy 23-d065 AIO - Cracked Screen - Replace? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have an all-in-one touch screen 23" PC that was recently accidently knocked off the desk it was on and it cracked the front touchscreen glass. The actual LCD behind appears to be completely unharmed (using it to type this post).

Is it possible to replace the glass/digitizer portion of the screen only? Or is it with the LCD panel as well as an assembly? Is it even worth it, or should I just tough it out?

Model HP envy 23-d065
Model #: H4A38AA

I have replaced glass screen and digitizer in cell phones a few times with moderate success. I also have a small Westinghouse TV in pieces as I couldn't quite determine why the picture wasn't working and never put it back together...

Any help is appreciated. I can't find replacement parts easily at the moment. eBay has an entire screen assembly for $99+$37 shipping. The entire computer was $1,000 about 2 years ago.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The touch panel itself can likely be replaced. The key is finding the panel, which will likely not happen unless another non working HP comes along (which in that case you should just swap whats good in yours into that one if you were to buy said unit).

Otherwise just tough it out. I had a friend who just did this to her new Lenovo a week ago, the touch panel isn't available anywhere.

At least the computer works Thumbs Up

Also that screen on ebay appears to be the bare LCD panel, not with the touch panel, so it wouldn't do you much good unless you wanted a spare.

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
The touch panel itself can likely be replaced. The key is finding the panel, which will likely not happen unless another non working HP comes along (which in that case you should just swap whats good in yours into that one if you were to buy said unit).

Otherwise just tough it out. I had a friend who just did this to her new Lenovo a week ago, the touch panel isn't available anywhere.

At least the computer works Thumbs Up

Also that screen on ebay appears to be the bare LCD panel, not with the touch panel, so it wouldn't do you much good unless you wanted a spare.

I did find a replacement on eBay but it is $300 from China so I am not touching that. If I could find one for $100 or less I would jump. I am guessing I will have to just tough it out. Crying or Very sad

Kind of stinks when accidents like that happen, but oh well.
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong auction, but it looks like the entire touch screen assembly to me: http://www.ebay.com/itm/231563206188
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Smith wrote:
Jeremy112 wrote:

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong auction, but it looks like the entire touch screen assembly to me: http://www.ebay.com/itm/231563206188

Ha, There was another one on there same exact pricing for shipping and the item itself, just without the panel!

$137 for the whole thing like that is a deal. Buy it and don't regret it if you want to get your AiO touch going again Thumbs Up

Nice find!

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My very first post referenced this exact auction! It says digitizer but the pictures show the LCD panel as well. I wasn't convinced that I could replace it successfully so didn't want to put $137 into it...maybe I will try it.

Edit - welp I guess I will give it a whirl! I guess I learned my lesson on all-in-one computers. This is my first and I should have known better. I will put this next to my "Never lease a new car" lesson on the shelf.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, you could just not knock your computers on the floor and bust them. Just a thought.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Or, you could just not knock your computers on the floor and bust them. Just a thought.

SC

Not sure how that is helpful but I will tell my son. Thanks.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:
ecrabb wrote:

SC

I was just giving you sh*t, Greg. My point was, I'm not really sure the all-in-one was the problem when a computer is getting dropped on the floor. All-in-ones are great from a simplicity and cabling standpoint.

Looking at it another way, if you'd had some SFF PC with a cheap monitor on it, and your son knocked the monitor off, it could have pulled the SFF down on top of it and destroyed the monitor if it wasn't destroyed just from falling off.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kind of interesting to compare the durability of the AIO to a laptop, though. My laptop (also HP by the way) got knocked off the table in the security line at the airport. It fell about 3 feet onto a stone floor and had no problems. Another time it slipped out the back seat of a rental car and fell about 2 feet onto the asphalt parking lot, and it just got a scratch on the corner of the case. The AIO had a big 23" screen, which does make it more fragile I imagine, but my laptop has a 17" screen. Obviously the laptops are built to be more durable than something that's supposed to have a safe lifetime on a desk.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
It's kind of interesting to compare the durability of the AIO to a laptop, though. My laptop (also HP by the way) got knocked off the table in the security line at the airport. It fell about 3 feet onto a stone floor and had no problems. Another time it slipped out the back seat of a rental car and fell about 2 feet onto the asphalt parking lot, and it just got a scratch on the corner of the case. The AIO had a big 23" screen, which does make it more fragile I imagine, but my laptop has a 17" screen. Obviously the laptops are built to be more durable than something that's supposed to have a safe lifetime on a desk.

Good points. I wasn't home when it crashed down, but it has two distinct impact points on the left and right side of the screen and two large cracks across at the diagonal the entire length. I had to disable the touch screen as it was registering input constantly and made it impossible to use the computer.

Let's see if I can get it replaced with my eBay parts coming soon...
HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
greg_mitch wrote:
ecrabb wrote:

SC

I was just giving you sh*t, Greg. My point was, I'm not really sure the all-in-one was the problem when a computer is getting dropped on the floor. All-in-ones are great from a simplicity and cabling standpoint.

Looking at it another way, if you'd had some SFF PC with a cheap monitor on it, and your son knocked the monitor off, it could have pulled the SFF down on top of it and destroyed the monitor if it wasn't destroyed just from falling off.

SC

I'm not sure I follow? Not only are we talking only two extra cords for separates (power and DVI or HDMI), but the ones that do come with every monitor I've set up in the last 10 years are at least 4' or 5' long since they have to be able to reach from desk height to a desktop kept on the ground. I'm not sure I've ever seen a normal office desk anywhere near that tall, so knocking a monitor off shouldn't affect the computer it's attached to. If your cords are so short that they'd threaten to pull your desktop off with them, you're either not running your cords properly with whatever cable management system your desk has, or you're buying overly-short cords for your monitor to replace the ones they already come wth.

I can totally understand Greg not wanting another all-in-one.

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't give up on all in ones... For what its worth I recently bought a Lenovo A720 27" AiO that has a crack that looks like a 1/4 of a circle on the lower right corner of my screen, its about 2 1/2" into the display itself, but its only one crack.

I can actually use the touch just fine right up to the crack. The small corner after the crack doesn't work but theres almost nothing in the lower right corner that ever gets used anyway.

Overall I think the AiO is a fine design. My experience with people busting their all in ones is with them poorly placing it (flimsy/cheap desk or on the edge of one.) I've never dropped a laptop, tablet or knocked a computer/monitor etc... off a desk or any surface for that matter. I either attribute it to carelessness, or bad luck (because when it happens when you're not around, that is pretty bad luck Razz )

Hope you get it going Greg! (you could always just remove the touch panel and leave it out as well if you didn't need/use it) never thought about mentioning that, but since you've already got the part on the way then no biggie.

At least your touch panel was affordable. the replacement for my A720 is $400... pretty steep, but given the price of the computer itself, and the price I was able to get it at, I can justify the $400 when I have enough extra to splurge on the panel. Luckily I don't have the constant input issue Smile

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey to each his own man. You like yours, greg wishes he hadn't purchased it - there's solutions out there for both of you Smile

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be clear, I do like the concept of AIO (much like leasing a car), but in practice the draw backs just aren't worth it in my opinion (at this point). The more commoditized the AIOs become, they are more attractive. If they start selling comparable AIOs to my machine I am on (i7, 8GB, dedicated graphics, 2TB, etc.) for around $300, they will essentially be throw aways. I might be back.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:
To be clear, I do like the concept of AIO (much like leasing a car), but in practice the draw backs just aren't worth it in my opinion (at this point). The more commoditized the AIOs become, they are more attractive. If they start selling comparable AIOs to my machine I am on (i7, 8GB, dedicated graphics, 2TB, etc.) for around $300, they will essentially be throw aways. I might be back.

Those specs are basically what I'm running Razz The price is right under what I paid for this A720 with the crack. I'll take $1000 off for small and barely noticeable crack any day!

This is my business PC, so it as well is important for me to have good specs, since I multi-task like the worlds going to end tomorrow. Plus it makes a great simple gaming PC, can't do a lot like a tower with primo graphics, but overall the performance is rather impressive for such a small PC (the PC is the stand for the screen).

I'd say in a year or 2 you'll be able to pick up new AiO PCs with pretty good specs for around that $300 price. Some of them are already close to that and not far off in the specs either - the build quality though is another story. I'll take this solid metal Lenovo any day

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the screen that showed up ended being an LG and after I got my HP tore apart it had a Samsung display inside it! Sad

I was trying to figure out to repurpose it, but no go. The cables are different, they have different touchscreen controllers, the placement is different so cable length wouldn't reach, etc.

The ribbon cable coming from the digitizer to the touchscreen controller was ripped part way anyway, so need a return on it. Not sure if I will be able to find a Samsung screen and digitizer. After having it apart, I really do need to order the whole assembly. It looks like it wouldn't be fun to try and separate the two. Oh well...I am getting used to just looking at the cracked screen now.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this will get interesting...

I have attached the picture of the damaged touch screen digitizer ribbon and here is the first response back from the seller:

Quote:
Hi sorry for your problems. However the item was tested and in good working order it was pulled from working system and in good working order. As shown in the pictures there are no damage to the ribbon cables or screen and was well packed in a double corrugated box with proper packing in fact a HP all in one Box. We are a Computer Store and take great pains making sure our items are in good working order. The item was received days ago by you and just now you are stating it has Broken cables, it did not have that problem when it left here and when it was sent, if it had broken cables you should have seen them when you open the box and first got it. We as a practice test and check everything we get in and don't wait till days later to do so. if you took it to a computer store or did a self install i am sorry but i can't help you. If it had come and was damaged in shipping i could understand it. But the item was in good working order when it left and was delivered.

They did indeed bubble wrap the display quite well, but when you wrap something horizontally it leaves the top and bottom fairly exposed. The ribbon cable sticks out below the bottom of the display panel and wraps around. It was obviously caught on something, maybe when it was pushed down into the box, who knows. It was not packed in a double corrugated box...just regular cardboard box. What does double corrugated even mean? Two boxes or double thickness? This was neither of those things.

If was damaged in shipping isn't it the seller's responsibility to claim with UPS and clear it up on their end? It was not signature required and was dropped at my door.

I opened the box the same day we got it to make sure the glass wasn't broken in shipping but as we have been busy and I knew I wouldn't have time to swap it out, I waited until today to fully remove it from the box. I think his claim that I need to immediately inspect is a bit bogus.

Hey I feel for the guy, but if he didn't protect the ribbon cable, why I am I responsible?
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh eBay fun....

Quote:
"The way that the box is made, there is definitely a top and bottom. It was a narrow box, so the only way you could have inspected the glass would be by opening the flap at the top and then pulling the entire assembly out. The speakers and ribbon location were intentionally placed, by me, at the top of the box and cushioned by custom cut foam, and was completely encased in several layers of bubble wrap as well. on shipping a parcel of this type, it automatically comes with $100 shipping insurance. the receiver, you, would need to contact the shipping company, which you can find by the labels on the box, and they come to the place of delivery and inspect the box and the item to make a judgement for the receiver of the item. Quite honestly, I have never had this type of issue, especially with the care and packaging that was taken for this particular type of item, that we do shipping on. I see it was delivered to your front porch and obviously I can not claim responsibility or guarantee how it arrived on your doorstep. At this time, I know the item was in perfect working condition when it left my store and I personally packed it with two other workers to ensure as much as possible its safe journey. To be done with the matter, I will go out on a limb, and make a one time offer and split the difference of the item and offer you a fifty dollar refund good only through today and is in no way to be taken as an admission of any type of wrong doing on my behalf. I am not saying that you would intentionally damage the item, but my offer of a fifty dollar refund is good for today only by midnight tonight to your paypal account. If you wish to procede in another manner and leave it up to ebay to make a ruling, that is fine, I have already contacted them and gone over all the pictures of the item. I also have CCTV footage of how every item we ship and receive is packaged. Sorry for your inconvenience, let me know your decision. You can keep the item and do whatever you want with it."

Oh he says he has CCTV so that proves it wasn't damaged in shipping! Come on. According to eBay the seller is responsible to make claim with shipping carrier.

I am not willing to accept half as refund as the item was damaged in transit. Make the claim and lets be on with it. Seriously.

Isn't the appropriate response, "Darn it must have been damaged in shipping because I am confident I packed it well. Let me make a claim with my carrier and I will let you know how to proceed when I hear back."

Not, "It's your fault, I am skilled, you are a moron. I have witnesses and CCTV footage, so there."
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW - I have requested return and am corresponding with seller in this fashion. It says eBay won't get involved until June 5th. Should I wait until then or file a claim with Paypal now?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: