Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Thomson TV Delta 40 CRT glycol replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tb2000

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 14, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Thomson TV Delta 40 CRT glycol replacement Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi all,

I'm new here, just signed up. I'm in the UK, I don't think there's such a big following for CRT stuff over here as there is in the USA. I've always loved CRT stuff, I don't care for the newer tech, always looks artificial to me (flat screen TV's do anyway). rear projection stuff I like, I have a 56" Samsung DLP rear projection TV as the main TV. Keeping away from flat screen stuff as long as possible, it just doesn't last!

Anyway, i'm into a lot of CRT stuff such as repairing arcade machine CRT monitors, TV's, and rear projection DLP and LCD sets (although I don't do that so much now - some arcade machines use domestic TV's in them though).

I've recently fixed up a CRT rear projection TV (Thomson 46RH44U 46") for a local arcade operator (hardly done any CRT rear pro TV's), was a fairly easy fix to get it going, but I noticed that the blue crt has got glycol leaking from it. It's just a single drip coming from what I assume is the filling plug. There's what looks like a domed rubber seal under a plastic square 'clamp' with 4 small bolts holding it in. The lens I think is nearly empty of glycol. The op asked if he can run it as is but I said it might be best to try to sort the blue crt. I think all I need is to get some USP glycol but I don't know how I could repair the rubber "plug" or even find a replacement as it has perished a bit and has a tiny split in it (this is where the glycol is dripping from - it's made the inside of the tv damp!) The crt is a P16LFM00BMB with a Delta 40 lens on it. It's the same as this one here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RCA-BLUE-Picture-Tube-P16LFM00BMB-U-/161686894660?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a54a3844 You can see in the third picture the rubber plug thing under the plastic clamp.

I'd assume the process to fill the lens back up is fairly simple, although I don't know how much to use, and i'm not sure where to find a replacement plug!

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated! Smile

Many thanks, Tony Very Happy

(Oh, and i've just realised I may have posted this in the wrong section, my apologies for that! Embarassed )
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you'll burn the phosphor on the tube within an hour of running it without glycol.

Frankly, anything you rig up to fix this would have to be home made. All consumer CRT tubes are now discontinued, for a bunch of years, so maybe use silicone, or fabricate something out of rubber?
gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Curt said. Clean it all up and wipe all edges with IPA. Use black silicon to seal it up again. Done heaps of Samsung rear-pro's this way.
Greg
tb2000

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for the replies! I thought it probably wasn't a good idea to run it without the glycol! It has actually still got some in it (about half to 3/4 of an inch or so above the crt), which was enough to just test it to see if it powered up and displayed a decent picture. Without it full though there's a blue halo across the bottom of the screen anyway. I was thinking maybe I could use something like a piece of rubber glove or something like that, maybe something automotive might do it - might find something in a car part that uses similar rubber (plenty of car bits and pieces in the garage!) It needs to be collapsed inwards when it's filled doesn't it? The rubber plug type thing is for expansion isn't it, for when the glycol heats up from the tube? Smile

Thanks!
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that's exactly what it's for. Top up with water if you want, and you're good to go.
tb2000

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks! I was going to ask actually, does it need some water mixed with the glycol? I thought glycol was supposed to be fairly thick, but what's coming out of the leak seems quite thin, almost like water. Thinking also that a piece of innertube might do it. Smile
tb2000

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update for anyone interested - I think i've managed to find the actual original part for it! It's on it's way to me now, and hopefully it'll do the job. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: