Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

The Watercrest (HT Revisited)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: The Watercrest (HT Revisited) Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Steve's thread got me motivated to at least start some conversation. When I moved a few years back we bought a house that didn't really have a good space for a future HT. The one unfinished space was nearly our only storage in the house (seemingly). After having just moved the space was FULL of unopened moving boxes. Well 3 years later we are in the process of clearing out the room and my wife is pushing me to either sell all of my old HT junk that we moved or set something up!

The space is quite small but manageable I think.

Room is 12'-6" wide by 17'-4" deep. I have identical DIY LCR speakers that I would like to re-use. I also still have my Panasonic AE-4000U with only ~100 hrs and unopened spare lamp, so that will be the starting light thrower.

Full Equipment Rundown:
Panasonic AE-4000U 1080P LCD Projector
DIY EconoWaveGuide Deluxe Left/Center/Right Speakers
Onkyo TX-NR1008
BFM Tuba HT Trapped Horn Subwoofer
(3) Behringer A500 300Wx2 Amplifiers
Oppo BDP-93 Bluray Player
Older HTPC with W7
Tivo Mini

Here is a Photosynth of the space as it sits while we organize/sell/scrap everything in the space. Pretty cramped.

Photosynth of Existing

I need to keep at least one of the storage racks in the space (put it in closet). I really only need one couch/sectional for the space. The younger ones can sit on bean bag or gaming chair down low. I had planned on maybe a space behind a half height wall for stools, but not sure if possible with tight quarters.

Here are some proposed drawings from Live Interiors 3D Free (just found this program this afternoon and it is fairly robust and really easy to use so far):

2D Floor plan (mostly to scale)

3D Renderings (with some color schemes I was considering - help please!)

Keep in mind the wall behind the couch is supposed to be a half height wall, but can't figure out how to accomplish in the software. Figured out how to fake in a half height wall and countertop of sorts. Looks much better.

Things I need to buy:
1. Acoustically Transparent Screen - Seymour AV
2. Surround Speakers (Atmos? What is it?!)
3. Sectional Sofa
4. LED Lighting
5. Misc Building Materials

Known Issues:
1. I am not sure where to put the Tuba HT sub...maybe under the stairs with port facing room through speaker cloth grille? Maybe behind screen wall.
2. I need to re-frame the stairs support to provide better access to our 'storm shelter' area under the stairs
3. Viewing distance might be an issue with the screen size I am hoping for, but will need to do a mock setup to see
4. How to mount the AT screen so it can be removed/raise/etc. to access speakers and subs behind without major effort

I am really unsure of the timeline. I hope to have some basic stuff done (walls framed up & power/lights wired) by end of winter.

Any thoughts? Questions?

Edit (1/1/15) - updated the floor plan and 3D renderings after more work was done.

Last edited by greg_mitch on Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12'-6" x 17'-4" isn't bad at all, Greg. My old room was just a hair under 13x18, so as long as you don't try to cram six recliners in there like I did, you'll be fine.

Overall, looks good to me.

Would you have to reframe the stairs, or could you just put in a half-door that you guys can just crawl into? Rebuilding the stairs sounds like a pain in the ass.

Could you put the Tuba between two of the speakers? You probably don't wan to rebuild it, but you there's a long slender version of the Tube that I'm thinking about building in my room (to use along with my existing subs Twisted Evil, and setting the mains on top of it.

Viewing distance looks fine to me, but you don't have screen size or viewing distance on your drawing. I like a big viewing angle, but I don't know what you're feelings are there.

Screen mounting shouldn't be a big problem. There are lots of different methods on AVS, from top hinges, to side hinges, to hooks, and variations of all those. I'm thinking about the same thing, but mine will probably be more complex because I really want horizontal masking.

If you want to go Atmos, you'll have to replace the receiver. Not cheap at this time. Several threads on the subject here if you want to read more, and I can forward a link to a webinar and a nice PDF if you want to read up.

Happy new year!

Cheers,
SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
12'-6" x 17'-4" isn't bad at all, Greg. My old room was just a hair under 13x18, so as long as you don't try to cram six recliners in there like I did, you'll be fine.

Overall, looks good to me.

Would you have to reframe the stairs, or could you just put in a half-door that you guys can just crawl into? Rebuilding the stairs sounds like a pain in the ass.

Could you put the Tuba between two of the speakers? You probably don't wan to rebuild it, but you there's a long slender version of the Tube that I'm thinking about building in my room (to use along with my existing subs Twisted Evil, and setting the mains on top of it.

Viewing distance looks fine to me, but you don't have screen size or viewing distance on your drawing. I like a big viewing angle, but I don't know what you're feelings are there.

Screen mounting shouldn't be a big problem. There are lots of different methods on AVS, from top hinges, to side hinges, to hooks, and variations of all those. I'm thinking about the same thing, but mine will probably be more complex because I really want horizontal masking.

If you want to go Atmos, you'll have to replace the receiver. Not cheap at this time. Several threads on the subject here if you want to read more, and I can forward a link to a webinar and a nice PDF if you want to read up.

Happy new year!

Cheers,
SC

But you didn't have a false wall in your room! Shocked

I think I can make it work and I like a big viewing angle. I was going to set up the project in the room to see screen sizes and check some viewing distances. Just a bit more cleaning up. I am a bit nervous to get the projector out of the box and even do a partial setup. I know how those things can go and make the whole process come to a screeching halt!

I am really impressed with this free software I am using. I am making all sorts of little tweaks and getting feedback from the wife and kids. Here are my latest renderings. Not sure what to do for media storage, but I have a 2x4 wall against the stairs that I can recess a shelf into so it won't take up much space in the room. I am pretty proud of my home made popcorn machine in this rendering. Laughing

Regarding Atmos - I guess I have some reading to do. Man you take a year off of HT and you get WAY behind!

Technical question:
My latest Tivo box upgrade from Mediacom came with an Actiontec MOCA adapter that was installed next to the modem in the office. I am not 100% familiar with MOCA. Can I buy another MOCA adapter and plug into the coax in this storage/theater room and setup a switch so all of my theater components have "wired" networking? I know the Tivo mini's talk to the MOCA adapter, but wasn't sure if I could piggy back on it or not.
Tedd

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something along those layout lines..... might be a proof of concept. :

http://www.artinstall.ru/en/projects/jumanji
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedd wrote:

Those seats are beautiful !!!

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Tedd

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No shortage of unusual, and beautiful, rooms there. :

http://www.artinstall.ru/en/
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedd wrote:

Talk about inspiration! Thanks for some ideas. I love the wall lighting ideas there. Mine will be nowhere near as nicely finished or decorated, but you have given me some new ideas for sure. Thanks!
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CEDIA Lifestyles Award Winners are always fun to look at, too. Always interesting to see what somebody did with $75k, $150k, or even $500k.

http://www.cedia.net/connect/cedia-programs/electronic-lifestyles-awards/cedia-award-winners/2014-electronic-lifestyles-awards-winners

http://www.cedia.net/connect/cedia-programs/electronic-lifestyles-awards/cedia-award-winners/2013-electronic-lifestyles-awards-winners

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: