Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Which model old Quadro card 2 get to play with blending 1080
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:30 am    Post subject: Which model old Quadro card 2 get to play with blending 1080 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I was thinking of firing up my old PC with a vintage Quadro card. Which model would be the best to get? I've seen everything from the 1700, 3700, 4500, 5600. Do I need the latest to do a blend at 1080p? Which model would work for this?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bueler!?

CRT.

HD done right!
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4600 is an earlier one I'm familiar with. And I think would be a good card to start out with. The 5600 is also a good one for blending. The both have dual DVI outs and the sensor port.

The 4600 would work best with your average PC mother board, but the 5600 would need some power for it. And since you'll not need it's full power, no need to bother with it if not also doing heavy StereoScopic (3D) graphics/rendering.

But for only blending and maybe 3D capability (not sure if it'll do HT 3D), it's a great card to use.
winny

TV/Projector: BD808s, BG1209/2

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which software to do the blending with these cards? Just the nVidia software?
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winny wrote:
Which software to do the blending with these cards? Just the nVidia software?

It's built into the Nvidia drivers. I don't know which version I'll need to run. I seem to remember someone saying the newer drivers didn't soft-edge blend.

I'm hoping to add a bluray drive to a dual core PC and a Quadro card out to 2 projectors ( whatever I have laying around that day lol ) and see what it can do.

mp20748 wrote:
The 4600 is an earlier one I'm familiar with. And I think would be a good card to start out with. The 5600 is also a good one for blending. The both have dual DVI outs and the sensor port.

The 4600 would work best with your average PC mother board, but the 5600 would need some power for it. And since you'll not need it's full power, no need to bother with it if not also doing heavy StereoScopic (3D) graphics/rendering.

But for only blending and maybe 3D capability (not sure if it'll do HT 3D), it's a great card to use.

I take it the sensor port is for 3D? I haven't done 3D since Quake3 days back in 2001.

CRT.

HD done right!
winny

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please report any progress!

Before deciding on going CRT my plan was to find two 1440x1050 LCD projectors and blend them to get 2.35 full-HD for half the money and 20 times the effort. (CRT without blending was 200 times the effort in the end and I expect a real CRT blend to be 2000 times).

Last edited by winny on Mon May 04, 2015 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winny wrote:
Please report any progress!

Before deciding on going CRT my plan was to find two 1440x1050 LCD projectors and blend them to get 2.35 full-HD for half the money and 20 times the effort. (CRT without blending was 200 times tge effort in the end and I expect a real CRT blend to be 2000 times).

Ha, if I had a new bulb for my Canon SX50 I could do two projectors at that resolution. BUT that projector is beat. It was $10 and I got my use out of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyhDjCKBeSA

I have a few JVC DILA's I use for Halloween 1365x1024. So send 2730 x 1024 and use how many pixels for the blend zone?
As I said I'll see what's laying around when I get to it.

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far locally I have found a 3700 for $70 and two 4600 cards up the road from me for $50 each, and a Quadro FX 5600 for $125.

I like the 3700 because it is single slot but two cards ARE better than one! Hmmmmm...

CRT.

HD done right!
winny

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Ha, if I had a new bulb for my Canon SX50 I could do two projectors at that resolution. BUT that projector is beat. It was $10 and I got my use out of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyhDjCKBeSA

I have a few JVC DILA's I use for Halloween 1365x1024. So send 2730 x 1024 and use how many pixels for the blend zone?
As I said I'll see what's laying around when I get to it.

Cool!

About 1650? And about 200 for vertical alignment or -56 if you want 16:9.

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

If you wanted to net a 2.4 scope image, you'd set up a blend zone of 136 pixels per projector.

(1365-136) + (1365-136) = 2458

2458:1024 = 2.400:1

The old 1365x1024 JVC projectors are perfect to blend a scope image. Gives you a 16-inch blend zone at 12 feet wide, which should work well.

The only problem is I think an older digital with poor black levels is going to look pretty bad in a gamma blend. That very elevated black area is going to be very visible in any scene which is even remotely dark. Bright images shouldn't look too bad.

The double-elevated blend zone is why I want to try doing a "ghetto blend" as Jeremy112 called it. Same physical alignment of the two digital projectors, with the same overlap area, but using a "barn door" on each projector to do a "physical blend" to fade out the edge of the projected image. It would take some test patterns and some experimentation to get the absorber in the optimal place, and then mirroring that on the other side, but I think it would be a fun little project.

I was originally planning to use two old JVC's, but I can't ever find them for a price I'd want to pay for them. So, then I started thinking about 1024x768 LCDs. XGA is super-plentiful and dirt cheap. If I just cropped the top/bottom of a scope image a tad from 800 to 768, I could display the scope image unscaled. But, now I'm thinking a 1280x800 projector might work better for the ghetto blend. It would make for a large blend zone - half of each projected image and the center third of the screen - but, I think that might end up easier.

What are you thinking about for a cheap/easy screen, Jeremy? I'm not sure what I can use that's 144x60, but also not impossible to transport. Oh, and dirt cheap because I want to be able to throw this away when I'm done playing.

I'll be really interested to see how you make out.

Cheers,
SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

If you wanted to net a 2.4 scope image, you'd set up a blend zone of 136 pixels per projector.

(1365-136) + (1365-136) = 2458

2458:1024 = 2.400:1

The old 1365x1024 JVC projectors are perfect to blend a scope image. Gives you a 16-inch blend zone at 12 feet wide, which should work well.

The only problem is I think an older digital with poor black levels is going to look pretty bad in a gamma blend. That very elevated black area is going to be very visible in any scene which is even remotely dark. Bright images shouldn't look too bad.

The double-elevated blend zone is why I want to try doing a "ghetto blend" as Jeremy112 called it. Same physical alignment of the two digital projectors, with the same overlap area, but using a "barn door" on each projector to do a "physical blend" to fade out the edge of the projected image. It would take some test patterns and some experimentation to get the absorber in the optimal place, and then mirroring that on the other side, but I think it would be a fun little project.

I was originally planning to use two old JVC's, but I can't ever find them for a price I'd want to pay for them. So, then I started thinking about 1024x768 LCDs. XGA is super-plentiful and dirt cheap. If I just cropped the top/bottom of a scope image a tad from 800 to 768, I could display the scope image unscaled. But, now I'm thinking a 1280x800 projector might work better for the ghetto blend. It would make for a large blend zone - half of each projected image and the center third of the screen - but, I think that might end up easier.

What are you thinking about for a cheap/easy screen, Jeremy? I'm not sure what I can use that's 144x60, but also not impossible to transport. Oh, and dirt cheap because I want to be able to throw this away when I'm done playing.

I'll be really interested to see how you make out.

Cheers,
SC

Yeah the black level sucks on these old DILA's but it's just for fun. Plus easier than getting two Ampro 4000's into place or a pair of 1292's Shocked

This will be a very ghetto blend. Just for fun. I may even take it out to the back yard for a summer movie.

For a screen...I use white table cloths intended for picnic tables. It takes 2 of them for a 16 foot wide image but it's still fun. Just plastic, usually $1-2 each and toss them when done. We string them between two trees or use electrical conduit to make a cheap easy frame for the back yard.

I like the idea of masking and doing a physical dimming. I have to do a physical mask on these anyways because of the grey border around the active image area so a little more masking is no big deal.

CRT.

HD done right!
winny

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:

This sounds wicked cool! Why didn't I think of this in the first place? Very Happy

Looked around for a cheap 1024x768 projector but very few have any digital input and lamp run cost would be high with two or three projectors running.

Did a quick and dirty excel-hack to calculate the blend-zone for various configurations and resolutions.

blend.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  52.23 KB
 Viewed:  21571 Time(s)

blend.jpg

blend.xls
 Description:
Excel-hack

Download
 Filename:  blend.xls
 Filesize:  94.5 KB
 Downloaded:  702 Time(s)

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking around. I'll get back to this. Have to do a bunch of stuff over the next week and a half then I should have time to play with this.

Also just tried Mythbuntu Linux. Nice but NO VOLUME control!! Stoopid. Laughing Check it out LIVE CD/DVD: http://www.mythbuntu.org/downloads

CRT.

HD done right!
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't need a volume control if an HTPC is just another source. Cable boxes and Blu-ray players don't have volume controls, either. Wink

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Don't need a volume control if an HTPC is just another source. Cable boxes and Blu-ray players don't have volume controls, either. Wink

SC

Ya need it when you can't hear a damn thing that is coming over the HomerunHD tuner because the system volume is too low.

I won't be running this out to a receiver. Besides who programs a desktop with no damned volume control!?

CRT.

HD done right!
winny

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus and minus on the keyboard like regular xbmc?
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winny wrote:

HA I'll let you know. I'm just going back to the LIVE CD of Mythuntu now....

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
winny wrote:

HA I'll let you know. I'm just going back to the LIVE CD of Mythuntu now....

Nope. Nadda. That just makes VLC change speeds.

CRT.

HD done right!
winny

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

Nope. Nadda. That just makes VLC change speeds.

Control + up/down arrow?

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently running Pupply linux for fun.

I'm on the search for the Quadro card. Unfortunately some doofis decided his was worth $150 locally and EVERBODY priced theirs accordingly. Confused

See what I can find in the next week.

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: