Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Recommendations for a reliable SSD drive?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gumdoc

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
OCZ was an epic fail for me, Samsung 840's in two computers running without a hitch for quite some time now.
HK-Steve

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500, Epson 8100

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 Samsung SSD 840's here, all dead. They are 500Gb drives

Weird, sometimes it is motherboard or controller that influences the reliability of SSD and conventional hard drives.

Cheers

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gumdoc wrote:
OCZ was an epic fail for me, Samsung 840's in two computers running without a hitch for quite some time now.
HK-Steve wrote:
I have 3 Samsung SSD 840's here, all dead. They are 500Gb drives

^ This kind of stuff drives me crazy.

I'm going to replace the internal drive in my MacBook with an SSD this winter, so I've been watching prices this fall. There were some smokin' deals on Black Friday and Cyber Monday, but I'm waiting until January.

I don't like Samsung as a company, so that's a no-go. OCZ seems sketchy based on some of the feedback here; at least one particular linen, anyway. I was already drawn to the Crucial M500 since I've never had a single issues with Crucial memory, but after reading barclay66's comment, I'm fairly positive I'll go that route.

That crummy time in late January when it's still colder than hell out seems like a good time to do a full backup and restore to a spanky-new SSD.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See with all the doubt I ended up buying more traditional 7200 rpm hard drives.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

Good call. Those things never fail! Rolling Eyes Laughing

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

Good call. Those things never fail! Rolling Eyes Laughing

SC

I get about 10 years out of them. So far so good. More reliable, it would seem than an SSD.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a intel ssd in my current media machine and its been running without a hitch for the past three years and it used daily

I have a asus motherboard in the bulid

I am getting ready to make two more htpcs and will be using ssd drives in both as the boot drive

One thing I have noticed is the vertial memory is best turned off as it will make the drive(either tech) last longer due to less writing done to the disk

Been doing that for years on all of the computers I sold and haven't had no complaints from the buyers

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: solid state drive Reply with quote

I recently purchased and installed a samsung 840 evo ssd on my laptop. I did a totally crisp install of windows 8.1...and I'm having huge issues with windows problems and drivers. Windows update is, well, not updating. http://www.bestsellingreviews.com/Computer/Solid-State-Drive/

Last edited by KyleWright on Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: solid state drive Reply with quote

KyleWright wrote:
I recently purchased and installed a samsung 840 evo ssd on my laptop. I did a totally crisp install of windows 8.1...and I'm having huge issues with windows problems and drivers. Windows update is, well, not updating.

Is the time and date set correctly in windows? (and in the BIOS). I knew a guy who was about to smash a 1 month old gaming PC because the time wasn't set correctly and wouldn't allow him to do half the things he tried normally.

Check the time and date (they MUST be current).

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im yet to see an SSD fail, my two OCZs are well over 6 years old. Never an issue. The mobo should have nothing to do with it. The SATA controller on the mobo is generally not made by the manufacturer of the board, unless youre silly enough to buy an Intel mainboard. And why would anyone do that...

9 times out of 10 drives fail because they were not fit for the conditions theyre used under. Ive seen WD Greens fail in 3 months because some tight arse cockhead "IT expert" used them in DVRs, and theyre not designed for that. Theyre not designed for heavily used computers or servers either. Theyre designed for economy and lower power consumption.

I built 3 office computers at work about 4 years ago with 60gig SSDs, never an issue.

If you go with cheaper gear, dont expect enterprise reliability.

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: solid state drive Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
KyleWright wrote:
I recently purchased and installed a samsung 840 evo ssd on my laptop. I did a totally crisp install of windows 8.1...and I'm having huge issues with windows problems and drivers. Windows update is, well, not updating.

Is the time and date set correctly in windows? (and in the BIOS). I knew a guy who was about to smash a 1 month old gaming PC because the time wasn't set correctly and wouldn't allow him to do half the things he tried normally.

Its mind boggling how many people get caught with that. In some cases though, manipulation of the time/date can get you a very long free trial period with some software...

CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
I will not do business with OCZ. They made bad memory and then went out of the RAM business. How convenient.

When was this? I didnt use it on the last two builds, but have done on loads of others and never had a problem with it at all.

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a WD Black2 dual-drive for my laptop -- 120GB SSD, 1 TB disk. (And when I went to install it, I discovered the $#$!! laptop had two bays -- I could have spent less $$, gotten 2x the SSD, and re-used my old HD. D'oh!!)

So today has been an "install Win7" day. Got things to the "install all the apps" level, and so far the thing is SCARY fast. In addition to the SSD, I installed a bare Microsoft Win7, without the HP bloatware the laptop had before. It had been getting very VERY slow, unusably slow, and I would have bought a new computer except I don't want Win8. But this thing has a new lease on life now and I should get a couple more years out of it! By then maybe Win10 will be safe to use... Laughing
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary hp always load every machine they put out with stupid amounts of bloat ware and the majority of it is useless

I also can agree withy he speed difference with the solid state drives blazing fast

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: solid state drive Reply with quote

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
Jeremy112 wrote:
KyleWright wrote:

Its mind boggling how many people get caught with that. In some cases though, manipulation of the time/date can get you a very long free trial period with some software...

The key word is some
Some record the date when it was installed and then lock you out if you try that(I speak from experience)

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just need to know when to change the date. Change it before you install and that defeats a hell of alot more.

CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a screen shot of my current SSD array speed test at 1.2GB/sec...

It makes a bigger difference when the rest of the computer can drive the SSDs to their limit in RAID0.

the big E

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both good points case

I will keep the date one in mind next time I try some trial software

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of them will let you get away with it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: