Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Higher refresh = no scan lines?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melifluonze

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I think the blooming effect is because when you increase contrast, you are actually placing a higher voltage difference on the plates and accelerating the electrons faster towards the phosphor. Because they are going faster, it takes a higher magnetic field to keep the beam focused. If the focus and astig magnets are not strong enough, the electrons will start leaving the nice, focused trajectory and cause bloom... Just a theory...

Either that, or the change in velocity is out of the range of the profile of the magnetic lens, so it's like the wrong lens is in place... but I think it's probably the magnetics are too weak to keep the beam well formed.

The phosphor burn resulting from heat makes me think that a lower refresh rate is a good thing (less beam passes per second and potentially running at a lower contrast)...

I tried to find out how phosphor wears out, but all I could find was generic statements like "the phosphor looses its ability to emit over time"... That's not very helpful...

We STILL don't need no stinkin' 7.1!
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well take a look at your hypotheses. Put on a focus pattern focus it and ramp up the contrast focus it again and see if that takes a different value Wink I never noticed it.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I thought I could chime in and give my point of view,

I work myself on a particle accelerator so I have some experience with that. I think it's correct that the required focussing strength from the coil on a beam of particles (in this case electrons) changes with the energy they have. It's harder to bend particles with a higher energy so it would need more focus current. But the electrons get their energy from the HV (34KV in the marquee) That's the particle accelerator. So for me the energy of the particles is always the same and it't 34KeV. To my knowledge with the plates you only steer the intensity of the particle beam (you pull more electrons out of the cathode) Correct me if I'm wrong. The electrons however also interact with each other and the more you have of them in a beam the more interaction and the wider the beams gets and hence you would need some more focusing power. I could also be that the focus amplifier is distorting.

Anyway my two cents.

regards,

Ron.
View user's photo album (7 photos)
Melifluonze

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronaldus, your two cents is right on (but you knew that). What I said was not quite right, and what you said changes things a bit!

The cathode in the tube is heated and the compounds on it create an electron cloud. An accelerating anode down the gun has the 34.5 KV on it. The electrons boiled off the cathode accelerate towards the anode. There's a control grid (or two?) between the cathode and anode that control how many electrons accelerate towards the anode based on their potentials. There's a hole in the anode that some electrons go through (a tube, I read) instead of hitting the anode itself, and those accelerated electrons form the beam.

The electrons are always accelerated with the same potential (the constant HV established by the good power supply in the projector), so when they leave through the hole in the anode, they have a constant velocity you can calculate. The brightness is changed by how many electrons are allowed to accelerate to the anode which is controlled by controlling the potential on the grids. I wonder if "G2" stands for grid 2...

So, what I said wasn't totally right. The HV doesn't vary, but the density of electrons in the beam does. The energy imparted to the phosphor by the collision of an electron is a constant, because the velocity is set by the 34.5 KV. That supports what you guys said. And now I think I get what "Beam Current Density" is now... When you turn up the contrast, you're making the beam more dense.

So that makes the whole phosphor burn thing a bit more simple, but it's still probably all about how much total energy is hitting the phosphor... and the explanation of less electrons hitting the phosphor per pass = lower brightness at higher frame rates still checks out.

Thanks Ronaldus!!!

We STILL don't need no stinkin' 7.1!
ronaldus

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Melifluonzo,

So one question is still there. What is causing the blooming when you increase the contrast?

I don't know.

regards,

Ron.
View user's photo album (7 photos)
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked here?

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2498&highlight=frankenyoke
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just some information. Yesterday I tried 72 Hz on the Marquee 9500 to compare with 60 Hz and i was kind of tired after some time comapring a 909 with a 9500 but it seemed the Marquee had more punch at 72 Hz. I achieve something the same when I take the 909 out of economic and set it to light boost mode. So 72 Hz and I might be fooling myself because I was tired but it seemed to have a different kind of punch than hightening the contrast could achieve. Anyone else seen that?

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redfox001 wrote:
Just some information. Yesterday I tried 72 Hz on the Marquee 9500 to compare with 60 Hz and i was kind of tired after some time comapring a 909 with a 9500 but it seemed the Marquee had more punch at 72 Hz. I achieve something the same when I take the 909 out of economic and set it to light boost mode. So 72 Hz and I might be fooling myself because I was tired but it seemed to have a different kind of punch than hightening the contrast could achieve. Anyone else seen that?

I bought a 8500 Ultra from someone in the Netherlands (backslap) who ran 2d 720p at 120hz because of that extra punch. It was a P43 machine, filtered with HD144s - so it was needed and it officially worked.
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noos@xp37+ wrote:
redfox001 wrote:

I bought a 8500 Ultra from someone in the Netherlands (backslap) who ran 2d 720p at 120hz because of that extra punch. It was a P43 machine, filtered with HD144s - so it was needed and it officially worked.

Yes I remember having a 8500 with that kind of phosphor the output went up with higher refresh so I think the output always goes up also with normal phosphor.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He it is a small world backslap got that 8500 from me! Did it still have the hd145 lenses?

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noos@xp37+ wrote:
I wanted to sell all my CRT stuff, but the HDIH could not be moved. So I still own it. I was sad when I wanted to sell my Ultra, but short before the date it went off forever (no HV noise and no parts of an identical 8500 Ultra did the trick). I have absolutely no CRT in the next months - but I will try to combine the HDIH lenses with an 9500 Ultra in the future. I will do the physical work, but I need someone that helps me to run the motorized Nikkon lenses on the Ultra and or helps me to bring the 9500 Ultra to live. Barclay66, are you still around in Munich?

Yes, still here.
We can take care of the Marquee soon. After reviving it, we can address the "Frankenlenses" (HDIH lenses on a Marquee). Of course I'd like to see a solution where we can control them via the remote control!
Any kind of service manual or schematics for the Sony would be extremely helpful...

Regards,
barclay66
View user's photo album (25 photos)
noos@xp37+

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@redfox: So you are the one who also posted the huuuge measurements of that machine in the Dutch forum? To my knowledge, this was the first comprehensive test on P43 phosphor. I remember it was equipped with HD144s, but I would have to ask if I want to find out. The reason for that is that I never picked it up in person, but a friend of mine did (Gerjon aka the "Barco 701 man"). He stored it for about a year (yes, very friendly), before he bought it from me for his new house. Not sure if the project is done. The next time I rent an M3 at Herz, I planned to drive to the North Sea (and maybe buy it back). Late 2002 Ultra model....

@Barclay66: Nice!
Needed some time to understand "Frankenlenses" - but that description is a bulls-eye!
I will not have the same room as last time, but the one beside it. Some work to do, but higher wall for higher/wider picture and for Dolby Atmos. And I did receive a huge schematics catalog with the HDIH!
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noos@xp37+ wrote:
@redfox: So you are the one who also posted the huuuge measurements of that machine in the Dutch forum? To my knowledge, this was the first comprehensive test on P43 phosphor. I remember it was equipped with HD144s, but I would have to ask if I want to find out. The reason for that is that I never picked it up in person, but a friend of mine did (Gerjon aka the "Barco 701 man"). He stored it for about a year (yes, very friendly), before he bought it from me for his new house. Not sure if the project is done. The next time I rent an M3 at Herz, I planned to drive to the North Sea (and maybe buy it back). Late 2002 Ultra model....

Yes that was me. We had some problems with the 5 Marquees we got from the local 3d centre but they all where solved. The main reason why I sold that Marquee was the noise of the fans. If I had know that the lvps fanmod made it so much quieter I would have kept it. But went digital and that was the stupidest think ever Very Happy The colours on that 8500 with the HD144 where still a reference and I still remember some movies I saw with that 8500 like Baraka and a red cadillac. But I am now on a new Marquee and with the MP mods it is very much better. Mod that 8500 and you have one of the best CRT's ever.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my friend Gerjon asked if I would sell the 8500 Ultra that I had not picked up for a year, I said yes because I was specializing on Marquees modified by Helmut Tan for non planar surfaces. As I fully returned to flat screens after having faced physical contrast issues of deep curved screens, I slightly regret any normal machine I dropped.

Always when there is CRT time, I in fact modify my TAN 8500 Ultra for HD144! Adapters are close to be ready, but they needed 6 weeks to dry so far. I used a mod published in a dutch forum, where the plastic housing of the 7" lenses is inserted in a 8" lens plastic housing. The 7" housing gets centered and the 8" housing is filled up with a silicone derivative. My derivative is still not perfectly dry....

I will post pictures when done. And I will do a resolution comparison of water instead of glycol on that HD144 machine. I will try to capture the differences, but I am confident as I expect them to be huge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: