Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Gain & Bias Issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Gain & Bias Issue Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I just finished tweaking grey scale on my VPH-G70. I got her to <4de but I do have some concerns; what do you make of the following?

The GAIN are set G=253 R=145, B=170. Manual says to run green max or 255, but I get better grey scale knocking it down a bit.

Where my concern is with BIAS; G=0, R=60, B=MAX. Up until now GAIN and BIAS have always been the same order of magnitude.

I run;

Contrast - 70
Brightness - 39

.. so I'm surprised the G&B bias are at extremes. What could be the cause.?

gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are only numbers the AKB (ABG or whatever it is called in the sony) circuit has also effect on these numbers so unless you not probe the actual cathode and G1 voltages we can't say anything sure. But assuming all numbers directly corresponding to the actual voltages the blue cathode is wearing out therefore needs more drive, the green tube may show some sign of contamination therfore harder to shut it down, but also could be aging capacitors, bad (loose) connectors and so on...
View user's photo album (1 photos)
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the blue defocused enough?

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
Do you have the blue defocused enough?
Ah! I'll need to check, its been a long time since I last performed a full setup.

I'm running the latest firmware so I don't get access to the G2 settings.

CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What firmware version do you have on your G70? I think the final firmware uses AKB (auto cathode balance), but that the easily firmwares allowed direct access to the G2 settings. If you have the firmware that allows for G2 setting than you should do that before you try grayscale. If you have the version that supports AKB, than you should run the AKB for 20 minutes, turn it off, and then do your grayscale.

You can upgrade your firmware, but I seem to recall liking the older firmware better. I also seem to recall that you can't go backwards easily with the G70 firmware's.

It's been years since I have worked on a G70 so it's getting fuzzy for me.

Also, on the G70 you should set your brightness to 50 and your contrast to 80 and leave it there. They set your GREEN gain to between 190-225 and then keep it there. Adjust your RED and BLUE gains to balance the high grayscale. Adjust your bias for RED, BLUE, GREEN such that you reach the correct black level when all three also make D65 gray. Start be setting green so that you can just barely see a 1-2 IRE bar and then adjust RED and BLUE around it.

all will interact so it's important to keep GREEN gain constant while you work. The older the tubes the higher you will need to set GREEN gain when you start to get a good white point.

Leaving brightness and contrast at their defaults of 50/80 will yield the best gamma curve for the G70.

Good luck!
craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig,

Thanks for the tips I try them next weekend.

As for the firmware I can switch back, I have a complete set of B boards (I think its B for PROMs and CPU) in my service/spare chassis. I switched to the newer version for the improved memory management. Both firmware have the AKB control.

You learn something new every day; I didn't know to turn off the AKB for grey scale.

Thx! Thumbs Up

CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFryia wrote:
Craig,

Thanks for the tips I try them next weekend.

As for the firmware I can switch back, I have a complete set of B boards (I think its B for PROMs and CPU) in my service/spare chassis. I switched to the newer version for the improved memory management. Both firmware have the AKB control.

You learn something new every day; I didn't know to turn off the AKB for grey scale.

Thx! Thumbs Up

Yeah, but I think there is an early G70 firmware without AKB that allows manual settings of G2 which eliminates the problems below... That said, I think it is most likely best to run with the final firmware, but I do recall something being taken away in the later firmware's that was kind of nice to have and I think it was manual G2 settings so you didn't need AKB. Steve (ecrab) may recall as he had a G70 for a long time.

The AKB can either be left on or turned off. That said, on the G70 there may have been an issue if you tried to turn AKB turned off, or if you tried to leave it on. With the later firmware's I think things only worked correctly one way or the other (either AKB must be left on or turned off for things to work properly) and I think I recall that AKB had to be on. I don't know, it's all hazy now as it's been too long for me. If I had your projector in front of me I could figure it all out again quick, but it's just not in my head anymore.

The AKB is supposed to work to maintain consistent output from the tubes as the cathodes age and emissions drop. The AKB runs for the first 20 minutes when you power up the projector and self (A = auto) calibrates the tubes such that their brightness remains about the same throughout their life (sort of). This in theory is a good thing because when you calibrate the gray scale it should maintain calibration for a longer period of time. This is true, but the down side of AKB is that every time you power cycle the projector, the AKB will find a slightly different solution so the black level and grayscale will float around with AKB enabled. Because of that, if AKB is left on, your G70 will never have the same settings for grayscale between power cycles and the black level will be higher or lower. This can be frustrating for a videophile to deal with.

So play around, try turning AKB on and off and see what happens.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few links to AVS where Bruce was helping folks with G70 issues like yours.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/16-crt-projectors/568806-set-g2-sony-g70.html

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/16-crt-projectors/723254-g70-g2-gain-bias-settings.html

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/16-crt-projectors/614395-g70-g2-setting-anyone.html

Quote:
How is the G2 setting adjusted on a G70?

Depends on what firmware version you have. Go into service mode and press the bias key twice. If your G70 has the older firmware that allows adjusting G2 you will see the display change from bias to g2 when you press the bias key the second time.

So based on what I just read in the links, I am pretty sure you would be better off with an older firmware if you can get it loaded.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll quickly try resetting brightness and contrast to default and give that a go. If that doesn't do it I'll switch back to the old firmware and see if it is any better.

Dumb question Shocked The old firmware lets you adjust the G2, but where are the settings stored? Is it seperate from the firmware on a different PROM? How did the factory adjust G2 with new firmware?

CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFryia wrote:
I'll quickly try resetting brightness and contrast to default and give that a go. If that doesn't do it I'll switch back to the old firmware and see if it is any better.

Dumb question Shocked The old firmware lets you adjust the G2, but where are the settings stored? Is it seperate from the firmware on a different PROM? How did the factory adjust G2 with new firmware?

The new firmware uses AKB to adjust the G2's automatically. The G2 settings, along with your service level calibration data, is stored on a internally battery backed IC. The IC is referred to as the "Dallas Chip" in the G90. The G70 doesn't use a Dallas brand chip nor are their IC's interchangeable. The Dallas chip does not hold the firmware, that's on a different chip.

If I looked at the schematics I could be more specific, but I am way too tired.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the Dallas chip is socketed and the firmware IC is soldered.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
mac

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battery backup S-ram chip(also called dallas) is ic308 on YB board. It is a M48Z128Y.
ic103 on the YA board is the program ROM chip.
G2 control chip is ic400 on the YB board.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mac!

I was hoping you would jump in Smile

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Thanks!

I stayed with the new firmware and started with your recommendations. Grey scale is good again, de 1.07 avg, max 2.15. Gamma is a little high 2.4 avg, 2.9 at the bottom working down to 2.2 at 100IRE.

I do not use a video processor. What can I do to leveling off the gamma especially the lower IRE?

Contrast 80
Brightness 50
Bias R=208 G=77 B=192
Gain R=104 G=225 B=111
Temp: Preset
ABG: Off
Memory #10
Brightness Uniformity: Standard
Color Uniformity: Standard
Screen: 2
Clamp: Auto

CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFryia wrote:
Craig Thanks!

I stayed with the new firmware and started with your recommendations. Grey scale is good again, de 1.07 avg, max 2.15. Gamma is a little high 2.4 avg, 2.9 at the bottom working down to 2.2 at 100IRE.

I do not use a video processor. What can I do to leveling off the gamma especially the lower IRE?

Contrast 80
Brightness 50
Bias R=208 G=77 B=192
Gain R=104 G=225 B=111
Temp: Preset
ABG: Off
Memory #10
Brightness Uniformity: Standard
Color Uniformity: Standard
Screen: 2
Clamp: Auto

Your welcome and your numbers look reasonable for bias and gain. What HDMI or DVI input card are you using?

I don't think your gamma sounds too bad really. Industry standard for gamma is between 2.2 and 2.5. Lower gamma numbers will give the image more pop and make things seem brighter, but at the price of making the image appear more washed out or hazy. Higher gamma will make the image look more saturated (but still realistic) and add depth, but the down side to high gamma is a darker image. In an ideal model the gamma value will remain constant across the entire luma range of the projector, but this is rare and probably won't happen on a G70.

You may be fine right were you are with gamma. That said, if you want to experiment, I would suggest raising your bias values some to increase the black level a bit. This will in turn increase the brightness on the low end of the gamma response which translates to lower gamma numbers. You may find that your gamma drops a little at high IRE levels too, but you will be somewhat limited with what you can do so a compromise must be reached. If you are happy with the black point where it is I would leave it alone. If you think the black level can come up some and still look black enough than try raising it some.

You can also do experiments by simply increasing the brightness setting from 50 to say 52. See how that looks to the eye and then the meter. Then try 54 if you think it can go higher. Once you are happy with the black point at a setting of 5x, measure the luminance of a 30 IRE window and right down the value. Then drop your brightness back to 50, and adjust your bias such that you get the same luminance reading at 30 IRE that you wrote down prior along with proper D65 gray.

Work with that info, report back, and I can give you some more tips for the G70.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:
What HDMI or DVI input card are you using?
its a DVI card by JohnHWman
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John's board is the perfect one to have for the G70. It will do 1080p 60Hz with almost no attenuation in BW. You only can run RGB, but that's a worthy compromise.

John's card won't do 1080p 72Hz, but neither will your G70 (well), so no matter.

The card is designed for RGB 0-255. I usually go ahead and run them at 16-235 and adjust bias and gain to compensate. It sounds like that's what you've done so it should be well setup.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: