Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

8510 Ultra... tubes are DIFFERENT?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melifluonze

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: 8510 Ultra... tubes are DIFFERENT? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm sure you smart folks have discussed this to death elsewhere, but I can't find where...

I'm looking at these 8510 machines (8" LC Coupled HD117-12 lenses, I think) and noticing that while the electronics looks similar, the tubes have a very different number from the 8500 tubes...

Are the CRT tubes themselves the same, but the mounting system different, making the tube number different?

Also looks like the VDC information on the 8510 was taken down. Does anyone have any information on these projectors (user's manual, sell sheet, maintenance, whatever). I'm sure I'm fine without that, but it's always nice to read up on it.

Still haven't turned one on yet. Going to shortly. And I'm going to have to see if I can do a tube swap from my 8500 to the 8510. Going to be interesting, since there's that extra piece of glass on the front of the 8500 tube that isn't there on the LC machines...

Does anyone have one of these 8510 Ultra's actually running and in use in their theater?

- M

We STILL don't need no stinkin' 7.1!
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'll have to take the metal cover off the top of the plastic tube casing to read the sticker on the bell housing.

I have been curious too.

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Melifluonze

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I did, that's how I know... But, FYI, there's no metal cover covering the label because there's no plastic casing around the tube in the 8510, it's out in the open (with fans on the neck board covers).

I'm going to have to take a better look at the neck boards. The power supplies are the same, as are the VIM's FCMs, HCMs, etc... I bet the tubes swap fine...

I REALLY want to get one of these working! They look like sweet machines!

The one thing is, the tubes actually look SMALLER than 8"... but I don't think they are. The black anodized housings are smaller, and the LC chamber "C" elements are MUCH smaller. The optics are weird.

But the tube numbers on the bell sticker are vastly different. Both have an '8' in them, so that's a good start, I guess...

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do they say P16?

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are most likely sharper simulation tubes, but I'll bet the pinouts are the same. try one of the neck boards... cautiously... in your 9500.

I have nothing in the way of 8" tubes any more, save for reds. Whatever I have for R and B will be stock DMB/DVB tubes, and I'm selling those at good prices to planetariums when I get the call. It makes no sense for me to blow them off cheap here at this point (sorry!).
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 8510 Ultra... tubes are DIFFERENT? Reply with quote

Melifluonze wrote:
Still haven't turned one on yet. Going to shortly. And I'm going to have to see if I can do a tube swap from my 8500 to the 8510. Going to be interesting, since there's that extra piece of glass on the front of the 8500 tube that isn't there on the LC machines...
- M
you will have ot cut the 8" tube out of the 8500 air coupled housing, and cut the P16 tubes out of the LC housing, and re-glue the 180DMB tube into the LC housing with RTV Silicone. This is no small feat.
Then, you will need to find a set of HD 117-24 lenses as the ones that are on there are for very small screens, like LCD TV size.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Melifluonze

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, yes, they say P16 on the label.

So, I was reading that the H114-12 lenses (LC) on the projector are good to a screen size of 5 feet. That's perfect for a blend setup (at least for me). That's what I'm working towards, an 8" liquid coupled blend setup with the projectors really up close to the screen...

Don't the air coupled tubes have some kind of extra glass or chamber on them, glued to the tube face?

- M

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to do this, I think you'd have to smash out the 8" tubes, as there's no wiggle room between the tubes and the housings. Why just not convert to 9"? I should have the plates for the tubes, and I can throw in HD10L lenses. Smile
Melifluonze

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, there seems to be about 1/4" all around, some black foam rubber stuff, but the tube bell might curve into that a bit inside the tank. Have you taken one apart that far, Curt?

'Cause there's that odd "wow, this thing is cool and I wanna make it work" factor... I can't explain it. It's an incredibly expensive part of my psyche!

I don't mind smashing out the old tubes, they're the ones with the darned pentagon pattern burned into them.

I think I have two sets of good 8" air cooled tubes collected now (that aren't Nash's old Longbow ones).

- M

draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melifluonze wrote:
Don't the air coupled tubes have some kind of extra glass or chamber on them, glued to the tube face?

- M
every CRT tube has "some kind of chamber" glued to the front of them Wink
the cooling chamber for the air coupled lenses will not work, you have ot cut it off completely, the Grayish-Bronze colored AL casing and the piece of glass that's glued into it from the front. I have done this before with 8" AC marquee tubes. If you have a bench grinder, and an old screwdriver your willing to sacrifice, you can grind your own "digging tool" to get all that potting compound out. Then hold the frame down flat to a counter top and pull on the tube neck to break the last bit o sealant on the front of the tube .
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried, but haven't succeeded. I'm just switching everything to 9" sets, and the 8" are parts units only at this point.
Melifluonze

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Draganm, I understand that there is a "chamber" on every tube... The LC tubes actually have a chamber made by the aluminum housing and C element. The air coupled tubes are also in aluminum housings, but there doesn't seem to be any liquid in a chamber in the aluminum housing itself.

I assumed that the AC tubes have a glass chamber glued right onto the front of the tube, which is done PRIOR to insertion into the AC housing, and that the chamber is sort of integral to the tube itself. Like, if you were to remove an AC tube from it's housing, it would still have the chamber on the front of it...

Is this not the case? It'd be great if the tube face was just the face, and not a liquid chamber glued to the face. Then, if you could get the tube out of the aluminum housing, you could mount it into an LC housing without a problem. See where I'm going?

I can't see how the AC tubes would have chambers right on the front, because I've never seen a bubble, and if there is no expansion space, then the liquid would shatter the tube by expanding...

- M

draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melifluonze wrote:
Hey Draganm, I understand that there is a "chamber" on every tube... The LC tubes actually have a chamber made by the aluminum housing and C element. The air coupled tubes are also in aluminum housings, but there doesn't seem to be any liquid in a chamber in the aluminum housing itself.
I can't see how the AC tubes would have chambers right on the front, because I've never seen a bubble, and if there is no expansion space, then the liquid would shatter the tube by expanding...

- M
yeah I can't explain it but there's no air bubble in any of them, but trust me there's a glass plate there and behind it is the coolant , about 3/8" thick. The front of the glass tube is just like any other bare tube.

Look at the side of the AC housing, there's a very small blob of epoxy. pop that off with a utility knife and you you'll see a drain plug.

I've replaced about 3 or 4 of these in 8500's that came as bare glass 8" tubes . I had to get a burnt tube out of a used AC housing, then re-pot . It's harder than a 9" in some ways, mainly because the access is so tight around the sides.
Melifluonze

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Draganm

I'll take a look tonight. That is really good to know! I'll just cut the aluminum assembly off the tube then. I don't need any AC tubes, but I'd like to see the 8510 work!

- M

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: