Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Barco CineMAX / Cine9 / 909 1:1 shots collection
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I spent a lot of time working on my astig and both mechanical and electronic focus, there was never any trick photography used. It was basically digital sharp at 1920x1080p

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the main astig zones on red and green. The zones that are really over the edge I left alone might work on those later. Also I did not do much on blue but it might bring more colour uniformity over the screen when I do blue to. Oh and I did not do anything yet with the 6-poles. Did you work on the 6-pole does it pay off? My dots seemed pretty round but perhaps in some edges the 6 pole could improve. I love how very stable this focussing mechanism works on the barco to get everything 100% in control if your taking the time to.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next thing I will go back to the Marquee and see how she works. I have no idea yet. On the mechanical part I noticed that the barco astig magnets turned easy and steady while the Marquee magnets slipped a lot. Also the centering of the focus yoke is difficult to work with for a beginner but it might be of some benefit. To be honest I think I will have to replace the yokes with the barco yokes if I want to ever get anywhere. But that is not so difficult.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the lot yes.

CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the lot yes.

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing the 6 pole is first and foremost the biggest improvement you can do for a nice tight spot beam.

If the grid moves when ramping focus up and down you have to re visit the two pole magnet ring.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the barco service manual and they say:

Dynamic Astigmatism
Use Menu>Service>Common Settings>Dynamic Astigmatism>Genlocked Pattern
Play around with the SHARPNESS-keys (over-focus) and CONTRAST for best visibility
Adjust all areas for most circular dots (use 6-poles if they seem to be triangular)
Aim is to get best focus around value 57 (Sharpness/Focus-buttons)

I did not see triangles so I left the 6-pole but I guess close inspection might disclose some triangles Wink

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjusting the Color Purity Control magnets perfectly will relieve stress on the electronic astig and focus circuits.

I myself have to get the 2 pole adjusted on my Twins.

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Francisco

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redfox001 wrote:
gjaky wrote:
stridsvognen wrote:

Ill claim that LUG tubes and sharp image is not super important when evaluating PQ.

Nor the bandwidth Wink While my opinion could be ignored as I don't own a high-end 9" machine, but switching from the PG xtra to the XG LC got me a huge step forward in picture quality. Both machine had about the same spot size, in my case the PG xtra had significantly higher bandwidth, still the XG with its current 30MHz bandwidth throws a lot better picture. You can say all 9" machine are LC, but the room you use also has an impact on contrast.
Also bandwith only affects the sharpness in the horizontal plane while spot size affects in both planes. if I'd only have one choice between an ES (spot size-wise) machine with 100MHz clean bandwith, and an EM machine with low bandwidth, I'd choose the EM machine...

He I realise you say something true. Spotsize has a huge impact on sharpness. It clearly makes my desktop characters more readable yet it does only a little on MTF. I clearly see the lines in the 1:1 now but the contrast of the lines has not much changed. To judge sharpness do we have to look at both in the 1:1, the brightness and the separateness of the lines? I think spotsize brings out the details sharper and bandwidth makes them brighter.

Wow, this is the reason I like Barco 909 series with modified boards. It improves bandwidth MTF and also sharpness. For me it's the ideal combination between (in my eyes) good bandwidth and superior sharpness. Must say that I spend many hours to do 2-4 pole mechanic astig until center dot's are perfectly round and don't move when under and over focussing. Then I did whole 4-6 pole electronic adjustments which made the picture very sharp and detailed even in all corners. When I'm very close to the screen I can determine scan lines everywhere, even in outer corners. The HFQ900 do help here a lot I must say.

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the 1:1 of my modified Marquee. I know Strid has posted much better 1:1 but he told me he never watches a movie with those as the slightly lower bandwidth looks better so says Mike. Think to much bandwidth is to noisy.

When I compare with the 1:1 Francisco posted of his 909 they seem very similar.

I know the 1:1 is not everything and I had to do hard work to get the focus comparable to the Barco Cinemax but I now have the feeling I am as sharp but I do not get clear scanlines however hard I try. That must be because I do not have lug tubes. It does not show in the picture to me. I do see clearly the 1:1 pixel lines. Perhaps a bit clearer on the Cinemax.

I do have to add that compared to my unmodified Cinemax I very much prefer the modified Marquee. Details are much sharper and I see amazing blacklevels.

Still I feel like modifying the Cinemax in the near future Cool

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redfox001 wrote:
Here is the 1:1 of my modified Marquee. I know Strid has posted much better 1:1 but he told me he never watches a movie with those as the slightly lower bandwidth looks better so says Mike. Think to much bandwidth is to noisy.

When I compare with the 1:1 Francisco posted of his 909 they seem very similar.

I know the 1:1 is not everything and I had to do hard work to get the focus comparable to the Barco Cinemax but I now have the feeling I am as sharp but I do not get clear scanlines however hard I try. That must be because I do not have lug tubes. It does not show in the picture to me. I do see clearly the 1:1 pixel lines. Perhaps a bit clearer on the Cinemax.

I do have to add that compared to my unmodified Cinemax I very much prefer the modified Marquee. Details are much sharper and I see amazing blacklevels.

Still I feel like modifying the Cinemax in the near future Cool

Is that 1080p/60? Do you have a stock board screen shot to compare to?

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what stock board you compare with. Some look almost the same but than there is a lot of peaking on them. When replacing the parts with high bandwidth parts they look better but when the peaking is changed they look the same again. But some look very worse. I think it is possible to make the 1:1 look better but I think that will not make the picture look better.

Have to add I have a vim02 with mini board and modified Moome in the chain. I think it will never get perfect 1:1 even with perfect neckboards but I do not see that as a problem as was explained to me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8
Jump to: