Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony SAVA SA-VA55 IR Transmitter LEDs flickering/sound cuts

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:27 am    Post subject: Sony SAVA SA-VA55 IR Transmitter LEDs flickering/sound cuts Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I've got a Sony SA-VA55 System in that has a seemingly simple issue. The rear speaker IR transmitter LEDs are half functioning. I took the cover off the transmitter, there are 5 rows of 4 IR LEDs, 2 of the rows aren't lit at all, 2 are, and one flickers in and out at random.

When the flickering row is not flickering and lit, the rear speakers work, when its flickering or not lit the rears get no signal at all.

Now it looks like most of the LEDs are a deep amber color, 3 or 4 of them still look clear yet. Would the LEDs be burned out? or is there something on the transmitter board that's going out?

Replacing the transmitter isn't an option since I've not found one yet. For the record the transmitter model is EMT-VA55.

If it is the LEDs, are there special IR LEDs? These ones I can see red light emitting from, not a lot, but just enough to notice they are on or not.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the IR LEDs, I checked everything, the LED diodes that were bad are where voltage stopped passing through, easy enough to find, and I figured it was the LEDs since they look pretty used up. don't suppose you could point me to the right type of replacement LED since the part number in that schematic turned up nothing.

Thanks for providing that schematic, it helped a lot Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to test each LED with your DMM on diode scale. They will read like a diode. Test each one because if 1 goes open the other in that series will not work. And because when you see how much they cost you will only want to consider replacing the bad ones.

But if you find any blown short then the series should of still worked so make sure those switching transistors are ok and all resistors.

The part number on the sheet is correct but that first letter that looks like a B is actually a D. There is a line there for whatever reason that makes it look like a B until you zoom in.

If you only have a couple bad LEDs you may be able to get 1 or 2 more rows working and the speakers may then work. You already know they work with 2 rows out. So if you can get 3 or 4 rows working you might be ok.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
You should be able to test each LED with your DMM on diode scale. They will read like a diode. Test each one because if 1 goes open the other in that series will not work. And because when you see how much they cost you will only want to consider replacing the bad ones.

But if you find any blown short then the series should of still worked so make sure those switching transistors are ok and all resistors.

The part number on the sheet is correct but that first letter that looks like a B is actually a D. There is a line there for whatever reason that makes it look like a B until you zoom in.

If you only have a couple bad LEDs you may be able to get 1 or 2 more rows working and the speakers may then work. You already know they work with 2 rows out. So if you can get 3 or 4 rows working you might be ok.

Yeah, I was able to pull the other 2 bad LEDs out and jump where they were, the rest all work, the other 2 rows must have went fairly early, they are quite bright. The system is working like it should though, I can walk in front of the transmitter without the signal dropping at all, so that's good.

I tried both B and D and I couldn't find an actual part or website that sells them. If I could find them I would probably order a few to have on hand because this is a friends system and they have no plans to get rid of it. Since some of the other LEDs that were still working are pretty dim I just want to be prepared if it happens again. Eventually if I keep jumping where the bad ones are, there wont be enough left to work anyway Laughing

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody seems to have stock but all say available on special order. You would have to call.

http://www.partsimple.com/dal5818-pio-n-13.html
http://www.pacparts.com/part.cfm
https://www.ued.net/ued/viewItemAction.do?itemCode=PNRDAL5818
https://www.encompassparts.com/item/1732406/Sony/8-719-992-14/Diode_Lir5bea
https://www.partstore.com/Model/Sony/Sony/MDRIF410K.aspx?p=1&z=50&c=998f31594b94c54f99cf036aa8ae7b3d&bs=Category&bd=Asc&ms=Price&md=Desc&k=&on=&cfilt=
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
Eventually if I keep jumping where the bad ones are, there wont be enough left to work anyway Laughing

Also remember, every spot you jump then puts more voltage on the remaining leds in that series. This will cause premature failure.
You would be better off having 1 less row and the remaining rows have all working leds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: