Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Clarence's new HT built in 2 weeks for Super Bowl
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Clarence's new HT built in 2 weeks for Super Bowl Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
We moved across town last year into a new house. We always host a large Super Bowl party (50-75 people) but last year I just hung a projector in the unfinished part of our basement and told everyone I'd try to have it finished for next year.

I was on the road more than I was home last year, but finished up a major project at New Year's and would have a couple of weeks before my next project started.

I decided to see if I could build a HT in a couple of weeks in time for Super Bowl. I kept it simple, but added some basics...
* OSB + 5/8" heavy drywall with Green Glue and QuietGlue Pro
* backer boxes for in-ceiling surrounds
* acoustically transparent screen
* recessed equipment rack with separate overhead spot light
* Linacoustic GoM panels

I sold my G90 when I sold our last house, so I'm just using a 1080P Epson that I got last year until I figure out what I really want. It's not bad other than the CR. But plenty of lumens and good resolution and color. No DLP for me.

Jan 18th...

OSB...

drywall...

Jan 19th
Tape and mud...

Jan 25th

Last edited by Clarence on Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Bowl is this weekend.

I installed the carpet, built the riser and screen.

Today's status...

I'll have to take some real screenshots without flash...

The blue GoM+Linacoustic panels match the rest of the basement (you can see the wall color through the door)...

I'm going to dye the seats black after the Super Bowl...

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarence, you are an animal. I wish I had half your energy level and productivity.

Enjoy your SB party!
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great job! Thumbs Up

I understand going with the Epson, but I really don't like the look. Not sure if you are looking to upgrade or even have a budget, but I think the JVC RS4910 would look really good in there.
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that about houses in the US. The basement.

What a great job.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing Clarence! I love how you make everything seem so simple, clean.

Question for you on the 50-75 people thing... how hot does it get in the HT? Any issues?

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

km987654 wrote:
I love that about houses in the US. The basement.

We love the basement in this house. It's more like a full 3rd floor because it has 9 ft ceilings and huge 60"h x 70"w windows instead of the typical 12" high "daylight indicators". Because our backyard slopes down to a lake, we have a walk-out basement to the backyard... no steps at all.

kal wrote:
I love how you make everything seem so simple, clean.

The simple design cues were based on the bar that I built last year (almost to the day). Same basic color scheme... black and blue. Also the same beadboard.

The white door is to a utility room, which also give me access to the back of the recessed rack.

The entrance to the HT is in the middle between the digital movie poster (a USB slideshow on a flat panel tv turned sideways mounted from the back of the wall) and the neon sign.

Also note that the flat-panel TV in the wine rack behind the bar shows whatever is showing on the projector (simply using the dual HDMI out on the Onkyo receiver).

kal wrote:
Question for you on the 50-75 people thing... how hot does it get in the HT? Any issues?

That was one of the biggest problems in our last HT. Adding more registers and returns didn't help. I finally figured out the problem... It's the fact that the thermostat isn't in the HT. So the HVAC doesn't know it's getting hotter than the rest of the house. Our house already has a two furnace, two A/C, two thermostat dual-zone system; and I'm not going to add a 3rd zone or mini-split just for the HT.

So I included provisions to exchange air from the HT with the rest of the zone. Basically pump air in from the guest room with an ultra-quiet 0.3 sone fantech blower (in a hush box under the bed, flexiduct in a S-curve feeding a low vent register near the front of the HT) and then suck the rising hot air out of the ceiling at the back of the HT into the utility room with another low-noise blower. Basically just circulating the air with the rest of the zone. This normalizes the temperature in all rooms and lets the thermostat adjust accordingly. Our house already has a fresh air circulator and I tied into 2 of those ducts, so we'll see on Sunday if that's sufficient or if I need to add my own air-exchange blowers.
HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the picture on that Epson LCD? That's some solid and expeditious work man...I wish my DIY projects at the house went nearly as quickly. That's one of several reasons why I'm working with a contractor to have a 750 bottle wine cellar installed in our new house.

You probably don't live too far from me, I'm in Alexandria by Springfield. I'll be having a Super Bowl party at my house for some of the guys in the squadron, but I'd love to come check out your setup some time if you'd have me over...

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarence wrote:
kal wrote:

That was one of the biggest problems in our last HT. Adding more registers and returns didn't help. I finally figured out the problem... It's the fact that the thermostat isn't in the HT. So the HVAC doesn't know it's getting hotter than the rest of the house. Our house already has a two furnace, two A/C, two thermostat dual-zone system; and I'm not going to add a 3rd zone or mini-split just for the HT.

So I included provisions to exchange air from the HT with the rest of the zone. Basically pump air in from the guest room with an ultra-quiet 0.3 sone fantech blower (in a hush box under the bed, flexiduct in a S-curve feeding a low vent register near the front of the HT) and then suck the rising hot air out of the ceiling at the back of the HT into the utility room with another low-noise blower. Basically just circulating the air with the rest of the zone. This normalizes the temperature in all rooms and lets the thermostat adjust accordingly. Our house already has a fresh air circulator and I tied into 2 of those ducts, so we'll see on Sunday if that's sufficient or if I need to add my own air-exchange blowers.

Interesting. That makes a lot of sense.

If you're able to get an even temp balance throughout the house, the furnace/AC should be able to take over. I'm curious if with that many people you'd actually need to run the AC this time of year! (Seems it's currently around freezing in VA). Or maybe simply opening a window or two elsewhere in the house is good enough. Seems nuts to run your AC in the winter. Wink

Reason I ask is because I think I may need to do something different: Our basement is sprayfoamed from floor to the headers and the ceiling is full of regular pink insulation. Get enough people down there and it starts to get warm.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HogPilot wrote:
How is the picture on that Epson LCD?

1080P, 1200 lumens, but only 12K CR. I've already gotten my money's worth out of it (I bought it for $300 on ebay a year ago, just to have something on the unfinished ceiling with a temporary hanging screen until I built the HT and figured out what I wanted). I think it's going to be JVC LCoS or Sony SXRD. Probably not 4K yet. With a 10' screen, I need the lumens, but I also need 50K-100K+ CR for the deep black that we're accustomed to.

HogPilot wrote:
You probably don't live too far from me, I'm in Alexandria by Springfield. I'll be having a Super Bowl party at my house for some of the guys in the squadron, but I'd love to come check out your setup some time if you'd have me over...

I'm out in Purcellville... western Loudoun Co... past the end of the Dulles Greenway. Definitely PM me and stop by next time you're out this way.
HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarence wrote:
HogPilot wrote:

1080P, 1200 lumens, but only 12K CR. I've already gotten my money's worth out of it (I bought it for $300 on ebay a year ago, just to have something on the unfinished ceiling with a temporary hanging screen until I built the HT and figured out what I wanted). I think it's going to be JVC LCoS or Sony SXRD. Probably not 4K yet. With a 10' screen, I need the lumens, but I also need 50K-100K+ CR for the deep black that we're accustomed to.

HogPilot wrote:

I'm out in Purcellville... western Loudoun Co... past the end of the Dulles Greenway. Definitely PM me and stop by next time you're out this way.

Wow, that is a steal for that Epson. At this point any of the newer Sony or JVC offerings will probably be a big step up, although the JVCs will still have an edge in black levels. I have a 4K TV, and I have yet to watch any (good) 4K content on it. Unless you're an early adopter type that likes to drop big bucks on the latest and greatest, I wouldn't worry about 4K for the next several years.

My old squadron commander lives out past you, next time I head out to meet up with him I'll definitely drop you a PM and see if you're around.

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarence wrote:
kal wrote:

That was one of the biggest problems in our last HT. Adding more registers and returns didn't help. I finally figured out the problem... It's the fact that the thermostat isn't in the HT. So the HVAC doesn't know it's getting hotter than the rest of the house.

So I included provisions to exchange air from the HT with the rest of the zone.

I did something jury-rigged but similar. The first time I had any guests in my HT (small, about 12x14), we had 4 adults and 6 kids. And halfway through the movie, the XG went fzzzt and died. Between the XG and the 10 bodies, it was roasting up on the ceiling, right where the XG was trying to breathe. 110-120°F if I remember right.

So I ran a duct from the ceiling right above the projector, out to a fan in an adjacent space under the stairs. Unfortunately I was doing this after the fact, so I couldn't run proper ductwork. I had to snake a flexi-duct through the walls and several sharp bends. Between the slinky-spring walls of the flexi-duct and all the corners, there is a helluva lot of static resistance in that line, and it's a bit noisy. But it works to suck most of the hot air out of the HT. Cool air enters under the door.

Unfortunately with my usual half-assed implementation, I just have a switch hanging loose up above the projector, and I have to remember to turn it on & off. One of these days I really ought to wire up a sensor switch to turn it on any time the projector is on. Yup, I really ought to ......
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Clarence. You are really quick!

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Amazing Clarence! I love how you make everything seem so simple, clean.

Kal

We usually have a similar sized Super Bowl party and we don't have a very big house. The theater gets packed and is beyond capacity when there are 30 people in there. It will get very warm with so many people unless I take proactive action.

I turn the heat off in the house but also run the HVAC fan continuously. Sometimes we also have to open a widow, but the theater stays pretty comfortable and the rest of the house is about right too. The projector hush box vents into the above floor joists and that really helps too.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Unfortunately with my usual half-assed implementation, I just have a switch hanging loose up above the projector, and I have to remember to turn it on & off. One of these days I really ought to wire up a sensor switch to turn it on any time the projector is on. Yup, I really ought to ......

OK, I really ought to do something about this. I did some searching and didn't find an obvious solution. Can anyone recommend a product that I can plug the projector into, that also switches power to the fan? Right now I have the fan powered and I just need a switch, but I think I could re-wire it so the fan gets powered from the current-sensor switch if that's the right way to do it.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Clarence... Embarassed
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was that motivated man................

Nice work Clarence!!!!!

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarence wrote:
HogPilot wrote:

HogPilot wrote:

LOL, if you would have came to Dr. Dog's meet then you would have seen Dillon's 4910 with a-lens light up the screen. I would have been curious to know the ft/lmbs that were coming off the screen, none the less it was bright enough for me.
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
I understand going with the Epson, but I really don't like the look. Not sure if you are looking to upgrade or even have a budget, but I think the JVC RS4910 would look really good in there.

HogPilot wrote:
At this point any of the newer Sony or JVC offerings will probably be a big step up, although the JVCs will still have an edge in black levels.

Today I came across a decent deal on a JVC DLA-RS56U. I looked at 100's of projectors, but once I saw that it's the same one that Kal went with, I figured it was good enough for me. Ordered it from JVC with a new lamp and 2 year warranty.

Ordered the same Chief mount as Kal, too:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=346279#346279
Except it was surprisingly cheaper at B&H than Amazon.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarence wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:

HogPilot wrote:
At this point any of the newer Sony or JVC offerings will probably be a big step up, although the JVCs will still have an edge in black levels.

Today I came across a decent deal on a JVC DLA-RS56U. I looked at 100's of projectors, but once I saw that it's the same one that Kal went with, I figured it was good enough for me. Ordered it from JVC with a new lamp and 2 year warranty.

Ordered the same Chief mount as Kal, too:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=346279#346279
Except it was surprisingly cheaper at B&H than Amazon.

HOLY SH$T!!!!! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

I was looking at that pj for the last day hoping someone would buy it. I had my hand on the trigger and almost called Crabb multiple times to talk me down. I really want the 4910 though with a DI. I have told Mike Garrett to give me a call when AVS gets some b-stocks in.

I am glad you got it. The auction said best offer was accepted. What did you offer? Also, can you give some feedback on the pj and JVC ebay store after it is all said and done? I have almost bought from them in the past and wondered how good they are.

I think you will love this pj. You should be set for the next couple of years unless you just have to a laser/led and/or 4k pj.
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:

HOLY SH$T!!!!! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

I was looking at that pj for the last day hoping someone would buy it. I had my hand on the trigger and almost called Crabb multiple times to talk me down. I really want the 4910 though with a DI. I have told Mike Garrett to give me a call when AVS gets some b-stocks in.

I am glad you got it. The auction said best offer was accepted. What did you offer?

I initially offered $2000 but it was automatically rejected. So I offered $2250 and about an hour later it was accepted. Free shipping.

And I bought a NIB OEM spare lamp for $179 just so I have the next one ready.

I'll definitely let you know how the buying experience goes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: