Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

IS it possible to switch on a HTPC via remote?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
huggy

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: IS it possible to switch on a HTPC via remote? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
As Title suggests, I have no idea if this is possible but thought I'd ask anyway. I would like to do it via infra red with the Harmony Ultimate. The reason why is because I don't want the wife and kids going into the equipment room to switch on the P.C.
Is this at all possible?

Dave
huggy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess not Very Happy
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found most boards can have the PS2 port wait for a mouse double click to power them on. Not sure if there's a USB equivalent though. Check the BIOS to see if there's wake on USB. Alternatively you could put it on a remote switch and have it auto power on after power loss, this would cause it to fire up when power was applied to the PC

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a google search for "USB-UIRT wake standby". Lots of solutions/info out there. You can definitely wake a PC with USB and IR, but I don't know how/if you can do it from a Harmony.

That's about as much help as I can give. I ditched my Harmony about four years ago and have eliminated IR in my system wherever possible. Before I boxed up my system last summer, almost everything was either IP control, RS-232, or direct-IR. I love the rock-solid responsiveness of non-IR, not to mention the whole "point the remote that way" thing.

Cheers,
SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
huggy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys Thumbs Up

I don't like direct IR either, that's why I'm going for a harmony ultimate, it's rf to the hub then from the hub its all ir to the equipment via blasters etc. So I don't need to point at anything.

Dave
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: IS it possible to switch on a HTPC via remote? Reply with quote

huggy wrote:
As Title suggests, I have no idea if this is possible but thought I'd ask anyway. I would like to do it via infra red with the Harmony Ultimate.

Yes, have been doing this for well over 10 years with my Pronto TSU3000. Only caveat is that the I/R goes into a video capture/DVR card that wakes the HTPC. I would think 10 years later things have advanced even further.
View user's photo album (33 photos)
huggy

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up just running a switch from the mother board into the entrance of the theatre room, it's set up to turn on and safely turn off with one quick press, even my wife was impressed Mr. Green
The real goal was to keep the family out of the equipment room so I've achieved that so all is good Very Happy

Dave
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huggy wrote:
I ended up just running a switch from the mother board into the entrance of the theatre room, it's set up to turn on and safely turn off with one quick press, even my wife was impressed Mr. Green
The real goal was to keep the family out of the equipment room so I've achieved that so all is good Very Happy

Dave

Keep it simple right? Thumbs Up

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
huggy

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
huggy wrote:

Dave

Keep it simple right? Thumbs Up

I will eventually implement it however, in the meantime I just need to keep them out of there lol
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys you do know you can get infered remote sensors(like the ones that came with most htpcs that were prepackaged) online

It works off of a usb header on the motherboard and it allows you to use a remote(eg the harmony series) with the media pc

I currently have two of them on two different media machines and they work great

One of mine came with a case I got on eBay

If anyone wants me to I can post a ebay link for the sensor or the case I am using

It basically puts the machine in sleep/hibernate mode for quick resume

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: