Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

BLU-RAY/ULTRA-HD REFERENCE QUALITY TITLES
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

Transformers: Age of Extinction

Disclaimer: Using the affiliate links above helps support our forum at no extra cost to you. CurtPalme.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Quote:
'Transformers: Age of Extinction' is exactly the type of movie you think it's going to be. It's loud and aggressive and tonally wild. Honestly, you can't help but be impressed by the scale of this production, particularly after watching the feature length making of documentary. Many people love these movies. For me, I have a hard time connecting to the emotions, tone, and the way it approaches the structure of action set-pieces. You probably already know whether or not you're going to enjoy this movie.

The Blu-ray offers a reference quality video and audio along with the world's first Dolby Atmos track. While it might not be The Best Atmos Ever, it's still a powerful surround sound experience. Add in three hours of bonus features, and fans are guaranteed to love this. The only question is to pick up this version (or one of its many limited edition sets), or the 3D IMAX Blu-ray. For franchise fans, this Blu-ray comes Highly Recommended. For the rest of you who want to experience the high quality picture and audio, but may not want to revisit again and again, Give it a Rent.

The Video: Sizing Up the Picture

'Transformers: Age of Extinction' explodes onto Blu-ray with a stunning AVC MPEG-4 encode framed at the film's original 2.40:1 aspect ratio.

Your high definition display is going to love this Blu-ray. It's a sumptuous visual feast of razor sharp details and bright, bold colors. Everything from the farmlands of Texas to Monument Valley to Chicago to Hong Kong and other China locations looks fantastic. Primary colors are warm and saturated and lush. Skin tones are often a little exaggerated, but reflected the story environment. Black levels are also on point, from the inside of the Yeager barn to the Lockdown's spaceship interior to the CIA assault on a Riverboat. This movie on Blu-ray is visually flawless, though some of the visual effects are less than perfect.

The Audio: Rating the Sound

While we have already enjoyed over 100 titles released to cinemas, 'Transformers: Age of Extinction' is the first Blu-ray to feature a Dolby Atmos soundtrack, an object-based surround format which has, until now, been exclusive to commercial cinema venues. In this Blu-ray's settings menu, Dolby Atmos is the default audio selection, and can only be experienced by bitstreaming to an Atmos-capable AV Receiver amplifying A) additional overhead speakers OR B) Atmos-enabled speakers that reflect overhead channels off flat ceilings. If you do not have a Dolby Atmos equipped AVR or the required speakers, selecting Dolby Atmos defaults to 7.1 Dolby TrueHD, which will downmix to 5.1 TrueHD if you do not have a 7.1 setup. There are also discrete 5.1 and 2.0 Dolby Digital (lossy) mix options.

Dolby Atmos -- 4.5/5.0 Stars

Atmos has proved to be my favorite surround sound format after experiences like 'Gravity', 'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes', 'Guardians of the Galaxy', 'Iron Man 3', and 'Life of Pi'. Some say Atmos is a gimmick. To that I respond, yeah, no kidding, welcome to motion picture entertainment. It's all a gimmick, designed to enthrall, dazzle, and entertain. To transport audiences into other worlds where we get to emote and empathize with our favorite character, feeling the heartache, sweating the close calls, cheering the big wins, and mourning their losses. Atmos is one of many tools that, when used in titles like those above, disappears and perfectly suspends disbelief.

In other words, I can't wait to upgrade.

Since all of this is pretty new, and because many of the new AV Receivers and Atmos-enabled speakers won't be available until 'Age of Extinction' hits retail floors (or later this fall), I was able to coordinate, through Dolby, a trip to Pioneer a facility to demo Atmos on some new Pioneer gear (thanks again to Chris, Katherine, and Jaed!).

For this review — using a 9.2-channel Pioneer Elite SC-89 9.2 channel AV Receiver paired with four SP-EFS73 Elite Floorstanding Speakers to bounce the height channels off a 10-foot ceiling — I experienced 'Age of Extinction' in 5.1.4. That's a standard 5.1 arrangement of ear-level channels combined with front and rear stereo overhead channels. During the movie, I was able to toggle Atmos off and on to compare it to a traditional 5.1 setup.

Everything I say below about the 7.1 track holds true. This is a reference quality mix — detailed and aggressive and loud and bass heavy and abounds with demo material. I spent quite a bit of time with Atmos on and off, trying to compare certain sequences, revealing a few favorite Atmos effects that improve over their 7.1 counterpart:

15mins: CIA hunting Rachet (the whole sequence).
36mins: Attack on the Yeager Farm.
1hr, 16mins Breaking glass.
1hr, 30mins Flying into Lockdown's ship through a waterfall.
1hr, 38mins Jets passing over the humans
2hrs, 22mins The entire climax.
Basically, the best directional effects are mini drones buzzing your ears, helicopter rotors and jets blazing overhead, and much taller explosions (particularly that Rachet scene as the big boom is punctuated by a preceding moment of silence).

Atmos object-based effects definitely compliment an already outstanding sound mix. That said, while walking around to each speaker to hear when the upwards-facing driver was actually firing, I was surprised by how infrequently the overhead channels were used. Granted, I don't know what this mix would sound like with in-ceiling speakers, but, despite being able to pick out some bonus effects…

The Atmos mix is not overwhelmingly different from the 7.1 mix.

I have a few theories about this. First, my 7.1 side and rear surround speakers are above ear level so that might cancel out some of the need for rear height channels (though when I was comparing 5.1.2 to 5.1.4 later in my demo, I definitely missed the rear heights).

Second, in my personal experience, Atmos is best suited in delicate moments or precise panning effects. It fills a room with the sensation of drizzling rain punctuated by thunder claps. A single arrow or bullet or jet streaks over our heads. Yet, in full blown action sequences, in movies like 'Age of Extinction' or 'Edge of Tomorrow', it's sometimes more challenging to pick out these individual effects as the sound field becomes complex and crowded.

Third, this mix is exactly how the filmmakers want it to sound. There's no reason for them to jam a gimmick down our throats when it doesn't serve their needs.

So how do we rate this Atmos track?

While it matches the reference quality 7.1 mix perfectly, and even enhances a few moments, which would imply the need to give this another 5-star grading, my Atmos expectations are higher than normal. Maybe too much so, but given that this is pretty much the world's first Atmos-for-the-home sound mix review (for a full movie), I think we can do better because I've already heard better Atmos. Not only in the movies listed above, and not just theatrically, but even listening to Dolby trailers 'Leaf' and 'Amaze' on this $6800 5.1.4 Pioneer system (not including Display) revealed nuances I hadn't noticed in commercial Atmos spaces.

I know that's probably confusing to some of you. How can something better than a 5-star 7.1 track get 4.5 stars?

Think of it this way. You can enjoy a 3D version of the movie more than its 2D counterpart while admitting there are better 3D Blu-rays available. That's what I'm looking for in a 5-star Atmos mix. That's what we'll hopefully get by year's end -- an Atmos Blu-ray that's wholeheartedly a better experience than the traditional channel-based sound mix. At present, 'Transformers: Age of Extinction' in Dolby Atmos is not quite there. But I'm still looking forward to see what titles come next to see how this format can expand on Blu-ray and HD streaming.

7.1 Dolby TrueHD -- 5.0/5.0 Stars

'Transformers: Age of Extinction' explodes onto Blu-ray with a highly articulate, bombastic, reference quality 7.1 Dolby TrueHD sound mix.

No surprise here. Each 'Transformers' Blu-ray has been a go-to demonstration disc to test out and show off your surround sound gear. Despite the non-stop onslaught action and visuals and kinetic movement, this soundtrack is wonderfully subtle, using smaller, precise sounds to pull viewers into the on-screen action. I love the way the metallic sounds swirl around the entire room, how the LFE fills the room at certain moments you wouldn't expect. This is a track that evokes the sensation of chaos and destruction, but never overwhelms the whole system. This precision is impossibly immersive while keeping dialog levels audible too. There are demos a-plenty all over the place, but I suggest checking out chapters 1, 13, and 20 for some really fun audio sequences.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowpiercer

Disclaimer: Using the affiliate links above helps support our forum at no extra cost to you. CurtPalme.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Quote:
For once, there's a movie that deserves all of the fanboy hype it's received. 'Snowpiercer' is a creative, original and thought-provoking social commentary film that's disguised as a futuristic action thriller. Yes, there's action and, yes, it's thrilling – but there's so much more to it than that. It contains everything required of a noteworthy film: an excellent screenplay, a capable director, strong actors (Chris Evans actually delivers one of his best performances to date), characters worth giving a damn about, et cetera. The Blu-ray itself contain near-perfect audio and video – the flaws being minor and inconsistent – and enough special features to warrant them being housed on a second Blu-ray disc. With a high amount of rewatchability, the 'Snowpiercer' Blu-ray comes highly recommended.

'Snowpiercer' features a 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 encode and a 1.78:1 aspect ratio. It's not entirely perfect, but it's almost there. The only faults stem from the low budget shining through.

Because there's so little wrong with the video quality, let's start with its flaws. These issues are hardly consistent and they're not fatal - but they're there. Both stem from the movie's overtly dark beginning. In the rear section of the train, there are no windows. Its passengers haven't seen daylight in 17 years. Sporadically throughout the first act, you'll notice instances of crushing and some inconsistencies with black levels due to contrast issues. The constrast faults will leave some should-be black areas of the screen looking gray. Aside from those mostly first-act flaws, the rest of the picture quality is fantastic.

Sharp details are ever-present. The tail-enders live in absolute poverty. As we tour their filthy cabin, you'll see the detail put into the high quality set decoration, including stains, smudges and tattered clothing fibers. Shots of the actors' faces reveal grease and grime embedded into their individual facial pores. Bloodbath battles feature soaring spatter. The tiniest individual droplets can be seen amongst the globs. The details never let up.

The dreary back section is almost entirely void of colors. The palette is black and gray with accents of warm lighting. As we move forward through the train, the palette gets more and more colorful. One nightclub car features explosive neon lights. An orange sauna section of the train carries a glowing vibrancy. Crushing pops up a little bit more in the end, but not often and not nearly as much as the first act.

'Snowpiercer' carries a 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio tracks that's also nearly perfect. The film kicks off with an opening credits sequence that allows the fitting score to boom through all channels. Once we get into the train, the natural creaks and rattles can be heard randomly emitting from different speakers. Effects are always well-mixed like this. Be it gunfire, clanking metallic weapons during chaotic barbaric battles or the expected train sounds, the effects are always fantastically mixed. Great amounts of rumbly bass and LFE are peppered throughout the track.

The vocal mix is where the one flaw lies. The levels are always great. No dialog is lost. Background "peanut gallery" dialog is fun to hear as it plays through the back speakers. Because of the boxcar settings, during scenes where voices are projected loudly through the car, the voices sound narrowly confined. It's a fantastic small touch that adds to the experience. The only problem comes from dialog being flatly mixed when it absolutely shouldn't be. An instance will offer an opportunity for voices to be spread through the channels, but they will be flatly confined to the front instead. Luckily, just like the video flaws, this one audio flaw is rare.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Million Ways to Die in the West

Quote:
Since it's theatrical debut, 'A Million Ways to Die in the West' has been needlessly and relentlessly slammed, which is why I believe most people haven't given it a chance. I urge every fan of comedies to toss out that misdirection and give it a shot. It's a hilarious, charming and crude comedy that carries the true high quality standards of a full-blown western. Seth MacFarlane is a wonderful lead who only benefits from his brilliant co-star (Theron). The video quality is absolutely perfect and the audio is also remarkable. Special features, including an extended unrated cut, are abundant. Being a big fan of the movie, I literally couldn't ask for anything more from the Blu-ray release of 'A Million Ways to Die in the West.' Recommended.

'A Million Ways to Die in the West' has been given an absolutely flawless 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 encode with a wide 2.40:1 aspect ratio that's perfectly fitting for a true western. Shot digitally, this disc offers a noteworthy pristine presentation.

This just might be the best-looking western Blu-ray disc in existence. It's absolutely crisp, clear, sharp and highly detailed. The clarity not only lends itself to showing the fine textures of tightly woven costumes and individual hairs on the actors' heads, but it makes the sweeping wide shots of New Mexico's beautiful and iconic Monument Valley terrain look all the more gorgeous.

The colorization, contrast and black levels are 100 percent consistent throughout. The color palette consists of dusty earth tones and is accented with pale colors. It's very natural and not surreal. Only one scene offers slight oversaturation, but it's exactly as I recall it being in theaters and most likely an intended directorial decision. (It occurs in the candle-lit scene when Albert drunkenly visits Louise at 1AM in attempts of wooing her back.) Exterior daytime shots carry natural sun lighting and nighttime shots consistently feature a very soft eye-pleasing lighting that allows everything to remain clearly visible and detailed. All of the star-filled night skies are enhanced with special effects. There's no place for crushing due to the full lighting and enhanced skylines.

I literally can't find a single flaw in the video quality of 'A Million Ways to Die in the West.'

'A Million Ways to Die in the West' features a solid 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio mix that dishes up exactly what you'd hope for in a western.

The movie kicks off with a loud, traditional and grand epic score by Joel McNeely. As you'd expect, it fills all channels and, in the process, pulls you right into the western mindset. Every time the score kicks in, it fills the space just as efficiently. The mid-movie "mustache song" is even mixed with this strength.

Nearly every outdoor scene is laced with dynamic environmental effects that also turn every scene into a reality. Effects are used strongly in this sense. As Albert and his buddy hang out in a chatty bar, light banter can be heard all around with each speaking giving off channel-specific sounds. When the brawl breaks out, the previously mild surround effects erupt into loudness that's just as dynamic as before, only more noticeable because of the volume. Loud bassy effects – like gunshots and stomping horses – carry the rumbly attributes of thunder.

The vocal track sounds just as crisp and clear as the video quality looks.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Men: Days of Future Past

Quote:
'X-Men: Days of Future Past' proves to be one of the best films in the franchise, brilliantly blending past and future into an epic story full of action and comic book thrills. The video transfer and audio mix are both fantastic, offering an immersive technical presentation. Supplements are also very solid, with a few worthwhile featurettes and deleted scenes. With that said, we already know that an Extended Cut double dip is likely on the way next year, so buyers should definitely take that into consideration. Still, it's unclear if this theatrical version will also be included on that release, and judged on its own merits, this is a great disc for one of the summer's best films. Highly recommended.

The movie is provided with a 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 transfer in the 2.40:1 aspect ratio. Primarily shot on Arri's Alexa line of digital cameras, this is an exceptional looking picture, offering great clarity and dimension.

The digital source is mostly clean and pristine, but there are occasional spikes of grain-like noise in certain scenes and natural grain in a few 8mm and 16mm shots. The image offers a great sense of fine detail, highlighting every whisker on Wolverine's face and the picture carries a pleasing sense of depth. The future post-apocalyptic scenes feature an appropriately gloomy aesthetic with somber blues and greys. In contrast, the 1970s scenes offer a lot more pop and a slightly retro palette, playing up the time period. Whites are bright without clipping and blacks are deep and inky while maintaining good shadow delineation. While the majority of the presentation is free from any pesky digital artifacts, I did notice some very minor banding/compression in dark portions of the screen during the movie's opening scenes.

Nicely detailed and free from any major technical issues, this is a very impressive transfer, bringing the X-Men, past and future, back to the screen in style.

The film is presented with an English DTS-HD MA 7.1 mix along with a Spanish and French Dolby Digital 5.1 mix. Optional English SDH and Spanish subtitles are also included. Spacious, nuanced, and bombastic when it needs to be, this is a powerful and enveloping track.

Dialogue is clear and crisp throughout, with no balance or technical issues to report. The soundstage is wide and full of both subtle and aggressive texture, spreading general ambiance and sci-fi effects around the room with natural imaging. The film's various action set pieces end up being the most impressive aspects of the audio, and the Sentinels and various mutant powers lead to some really cool sound design choices. Shifting portals, freezing ice, burning flames, blazing bullets, and Wolverine's trademark "Snikt!" all come through with commanding presence and directionality. Voices are also spread throughout the speakers when called for, including some particularly immersive moments involving Professor X and Quicksilver's powers. Dynamic range is wide and distortion free, and bass activity is deep and seamless, adding a powerful low frequency jolt to all of the action.

Immersive and nicely layered, this is a terrific audio presentation, giving comic book fans a new demo worthy disc to show off their surround sound setup.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sopranos: The Complete Series

Quote:
'The Sopranos' is the kind of television series that is built to be pored over again and again, not to seek a definitive answer (especially to the ending), but to examine and parse, and hopefully discuss with likeminded individuals who are interested in exploring the layered complexity of a dynamic and engaging series that always had more to say than it led on. With terrific video, wonderful sound, and piles of tremendous extras, 'The Sopranos: The Complete Series' is nothing short of a must own.

The 1080p AVC/MPEG-4 encoded transfer presents 'The Sopranos' with a mostly pristine picture that is often full of fine detail, background elements, and bright, vivid colors. What's most interesting is how many scenes (especially exterior scenes) were filmed using a filter, and how that filter, along with the slightly skewed angles the cinematographer would use during these moments help to augment the dreamlike quality of the show. There are a few moments when Tony and his crew are gathered outside Satriales's Pork Store and the scene is infused with a golden hue that gives the sky behind, say, Silvio's immaculate pompadour the sense of a heightened reality. It looks great.

Fine detail is strong in most cases, revealing plenty of facial features and textures on everything from clothing to background elements. Close ups are generally loaded with fine detail. Wider shots tend to maintain a similar level for the most part, but can sometimes be a little off. Aside from the opening sequence, the image is free from grain of any kind, resulting in a strong, resonant image with clean, firm edges almost all of the time.

Along with the vivid colors that generate bright hues of red, blue, and especially green, the contrast is terrific throughout. Black levels are strong and robust; delivering inky shadows that can run from slightly murky to full-on pitch black. Whether it is a slight shadow or the dead of night, the image does not contain a trace of banding or of crush. Similarly, white balance is handled very nicely throughout. Here, the show plays with blowing the picture out a bit more, so some scenes are deliberately brighter or hazier than the rest, but it's clear when the scene is intended to do so. The rest of the time, white balance is quite nice, rendering the image bright and clear without any obstruction.

There are a few episodes here and there that are uneven. The most blatant is in the brilliant 'College.' While the Tony and Meadow scenes look tremendous, and may even be some of the best on the disc, the scenes between Carmela and Father Phil (Paul Schulze) tend to run red, and green. Now, granted, Carmela was just getting over the flu in the story, but even then, it is a little off putting.

Overall, though, a few questionable moments in 86 episodes are like drops of water in the ocean. This is a very sound, very nice looking image throughout. It is also one that manages to be truly surprising in its detail, depth, and richness of color.

The DTS-HS Master Audio 5.1 track handles the two things that made 'The Sopranos' special (amazingly well-written and often profane dialogue, and musical cues) by presenting them with tremendous clarity and strength. Dialogue is rich throughout; every character is crystal clear, whether they are having a quiet conversation or yelling in someone's face. Moreover, the dialogue is balanced so well, and presented with so much emphasis on directionality and imaging, even the most casual conversations in the back room of the Bada Bing sound like they're emanating around your living room.

The same goes for the musical selections, which are balanced wonderfully with the dialogue and sound effects. Music is robust, but not overbearing; it wants to be heard and enjoyed, without completely taking over the scene. The only song that does dominate the soundtrack is the one accompanying the opening sequence, and that one comes with the expectation of being more aggressive than the rest.

Other elements are balanced nicely throughout the discs as well. Sound effect come in a variety of immersive and straightforward moments that are either subtle and nuance, or blunt like a shotgun to the face. Rear channels often generate strong sense of atmosphere and immersion by bringing large and small elements to the listener's ear. As such, the main floor of the Bada Bing sounds completely different from, say, Dr. Melfi's office or Artie Buco's (John Ventimiglia) Nuovo Vesuvio. In other words, the mix delivers a convincing atmosphere filled with many different components, regardless the location.

And with a little LFE here and there to round things out, the mix on 'The Sopranos' is about as good as these things get.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Begin Again

Quote:
While 'Begin Again' may not be as perfect as John Carney's last noteworthy music-filled romantic drama, 'Once,' it's still pretty darn close to featuring that greatness. It's simplistic story is likeable and easy to connect with thanks to natural characters and great performances all around. Keira Knightley shines as a musician and Adam Levine actually does a great job as an actor. As usual, Mark Ruffalo is great. The video quality is nearly perfect, but the audio quality is stunningly flawless. Only two special features are included, so if the disc is lacking in any area, that's it. For anyone who likes strong indie films, 'Begin Again' is crowd-pleasing must-see.

'Begin Again' arrives on Blu-ray with a superb 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 video quality that's only lessening quality its very occasional low-budget and lacking indie production value (and lighting).

Ninety-nine percent of 'Begin Again' features perfect, sharp, crystal clear imagery. The individual gray hairs on Mark Ruffalo's head and face – of which there are many – can be seen on a hair-by-hair basis. The textures of clothing and faces can always been seen with clarity. With many scenes set outdoors, there are plenty of opportunities for the inner-city nature to shine. Leaves, grass and water have a gorgeous look about them. Colors pop naturally, from the greens of foliage to the warm red summer dresses that Knightley dons. During a pair of staged concert scenes, the lighting is extra vibrant. The hues that appear on Knightley's face in the opening scene border oversaturation, but don't quite get there; however, the bright overly-vibrant hanging lights behind her do result in oversaturation. Having not seen 'Begin Again' in theaters, I can't say if this was intentional or not, but I assume that it is considering how fantastic the rest of the film looks.

The only true problem that I noticed arise on a couple of occasions was a small issue with black levels and contrast. A lack of lighting (or natural lighting) in dark settings seemed to be the cause. Both instances occur during nighttime scenes set on the streets of New York City. Luckily, they're brief. Aside from those two, there aren't any other faults to be found on this Blu-ray.

Being a movie whose story is based on music and sound, 'Begin Again' carries a fittingly flawless and impressive 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio mix. The non-diegetic tracks (the songs that occur outside the narrative) in the film are mixed to play dynamically throughout the space. The volume plays it loudly and clearly. Being cheery pop music, it picks up the mood – but there's another more noteworthy usage of music here.

The diegetic music (the songs that are performed by or listened to by the characters) in the movie is nothing short of brilliant. Dan decides to record Gretta's demo album in New York City locations, capturing along with her music the sounds of a truly memorable summer. The music is just as dynamic as the non-diegetic songs, but with the addition of natural street sounds – kids playing, horns honking, passing vehicles, birds chirping, etc. – is equally mixed in perfection along with it. Dialog and voices are also just as richly mixed and consistently clear as the music and environmental mix.

The effects that are mixed outside of the diegetic music are just as strong as those mixed within the music. City street effects lighten up the theater space. Subway rides creak and rattle as they would if you were really riding in one. Instances of seamless imaging also appear. I literally can't find a single fault with this lossless audio mix.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Expendables 3

Quote:
'The Expendables 3' is a lot of fun the third time around. They finally found their footing and knew what type of movie to make rather than trying to be serious all the time. The result is a highly entertaining and very funny movie. The action is great and seeing all of these excellent action stars from our childhood is a riot, not to mention so much fun. The video, as well as the Dolby Atmos audio presentation, are both top notch. The extras are all worth watching and informative as well. If you're looking for a fun time with a big and entertaining action movie with tons of 80's movie stars, then I highly recommend 'The Expendables 3'.

'The Expendables 3' comes with an impressive 1080p HD transfer and is presented in 2.40:1 aspect ratio. This action film looks mighty impressive on all fronts. This has a crystal clear image with excellent detail and clarity. However, by having this digital look to it, the big bad CG effects don't look as real as they could, but that is really the only gripe I have with this video presentation. Detail is very vivid in both closeups and wide shots. Closeups show every wrinkle, scar, wound, and individual hair on these aging action star's faces.

You can even see some of the plastic surgery Stallone has had over the years quite well. Their tactical gear reveals some fine stitching and background props and sets look amazing, giving the picture some real depth when there is no CG background. Colors pop off screen at all times, whether they are in a green field or the blue sky. All colors are well saturated and look realistic. Skin tones are always natural and never seem murky and the black levels are very deep and inky. There are zero instances of banding, aliasing, and motion blur throughout, giving this video presentation top marks.

7.1 Dolby TrueHD - 5 Stars

This release comes with an outstanding Dolby Atmos audio presentation, but since I haven't upgraded to Atmos yet, the audio automatically changes to a Dolby TrueHD 7.1 audio option, and it sound amazing. If you want to read about the Dolby Atmos sound, scroll down a tiny bit and check out Michael S. Palmer's review. The 7.1 audio is quite impressive. This action film is full of gun shots, explosions, cars, planes, trains, boats, and fighting. I mean, what do you expect from an 'Expendables' film? The sound effects are clear, loud, and very robust. The surrounds pump the sound constantly, which fully immerses you into each gun battle and fight scene.

There is some excellent directionality here as well. the gun shots fly by with precise timing and the explosions will rattle your walls and insides quite nicely, and are never overly done. The ambient noises of nature and people chattering at times also sound full. The dialogue is always crystal clear and easy to follow, even with Stallone's thick accent of gibberish. The score is epic and fun, which always adds to the suspenseful and funny situations these guys get into, while never drowning out any of the dialogue or sound effects. The LFE is magnificent and the dynamic range is extremely wide, leaving this audio presentation with top marks.

Dolby Atmos - 5 Stars

For this portion of the review, we took a field trip to Dolby Laboratories in Burbank, CA to watch this Blu-ray in the company's "Home Theatre" room on commercially available equipment anyone can purchase right now.

This 7.1.4 Atmos configuration included four KEF R700 towers (front L&R and rear L&R) topped with four KEF R50 Atmos Enabled speaker modules (two pairs of stereo height channels), one KEF R600c center channel, one pair of KEF T301 side surrounds, an M&K MX-350 sub, a Denon AVR-X5200 9-channel Atmos AV Reciever, and one 2-channel ART SLA-1 amp (to power the rear speaker modules).

All in, if you were to buy a similar setup, you'd be looking to spend just over $17,000 on audio gear alone (display and Blu-ray player not included, sorry). There are more affordable options to achieve 7.1.4, and other ways to configure Atmos with fewer speakers, but having finally heard 7.1.4, I'm convinced this is the format's optimum configuration for all but the smallest listening environments. Most interestingly, while we watched the entire film using the speaker modules (bouncing the height channels off a flat-surface ceiling), we did also demo a few scenes in another room with actual in-ceiling speakers. To my ears, it was the exact same aural experience.

The Expendables 3 is the third Dolby Atmos Blu-ray to hit the streets. The object audio based Dolby Atmos surround mix features individual sounds that fly around the room from ear level speakers to height speakers, creating a hemispherical sense of immersion. Dolby Atmos employs metadata to fold down all of the audio objects into a 7.1, 5.1 or stereo Dolby TrueHD surround experience (depending, of course on your systems configuration). Meaning non-Atmos listeners still get to hear all of the same sound effects and music cues, just without the added height. Blu-ray re-recording mixers check these folded-down 7.1, 5.1 and 2.0 Atmos derived mixes for quality.

Okay, this has probably been the longest preamble to the audio portion of a Blu-ray review ever, but since this is a new format, one that is customizeable, I wanted to clear about every detail. Feel free to ask questions in the comments; I'll try to check in and answer when/if I can.

Bottom line: 'The Expendables 3' offers up a premium Dolby Atmos soundmix that is the best way to experience this Blu-ray, hands down.

While the movie brims with chaotic action sequences, this fantastic track is exceptionally focused. From planes and helicopters to bombs and bullets, there are so many little intricacies to this audio environment. Panning effects are precise, wonderfully aggressive, and boast an exceptionally wide dynamic range. LFE also packs a sublime punch. Even the musical score is wider and taller. And, while it's definitely loud, unlike the 'Transformers: Age of Extinction' experience, nothing was ever lost and my ears never tired.

This Blu-ray's near-field Atmos re-recording mixer, Tim Hoogenakker, was on hand to describe his process of making sure the theatrical mix doesn't overload home cinema environments. That means 1) controlling overall volume, 2) ensuring LFE doesn't become boomy noise, and most importantly 3) guaranteeing we the audience can always hear dialog. 'The Expendables 3' boats exceptionally clear dialog even in the most chaotic sequences

My most anticipated forthcoming Atmos Blu-ray is the Feburary 'Gravity' re-release, despite the lack of 3D (boo!), but 'The Expendables 3' in Dolby Atmos is simply stunning. Reference in quality. Demonstration worthy all the way. Yes, there isn't that much to compare with yet, but as previously written, home entertainment Atmos often equals its theatrical predecessor.

Oh, and a heads up to retailers like Best Buy installing Atmos demo rooms. You want to sell Atmos gear? You want to hook the next generation of audio guys? Play 'The Expendables 3' Blu-ray's opening four minutes, and anywhere in the final thirty. (step 4: profit)

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to Train Your Dragon 2

Quote:
'How to Train Your Dragon 2' might not feel as original as the first, but that's a given. What it does here is flesh out Hiccup's relationship with his father, as all the while what Toothless means to him continues to evolve. The audio and video are stunningly perfect in every conceivable way. The stocked special features section is just gravy at this point. Simply put, this sequel is highly recommended.

As you would expect, the transfer here is flawlessly beautiful. As with the first film, 20th Century Fox has provided another demo-worthy animated presentation. The first thing you'll probably notice is the immensely detailed dragons. The animation is so specific and so perfectly defined that you can easily see individual scales, spikes, and hairs. It's far too easy to get completely lost in Stoick's vast beard. Each hair on it being completely visible, without a hint of aliasing in sight.

The colors are marvelously rendered. When Hiccup and Toothless fine the colony of dragons, the wide variety of colorful dragons swirling around is as spectacular as it is exciting. You'd be hard-pressed to find a Blu-ray that came out this year that offers as much exceptional color spectrum display as this release.

As far as artifacting goes, there's nothing to be concerned about. Aliasing never shows up. Crushing is non-existent. Shadows and black areas are sufficiently deep and inky. Like I said at the beginning of this video review, this is demo-worthy material through and through. Use it to show off your systems visual components. It'll make your setup look great.

Bolstering the demo-quality video presentation is a pumped up audio mix that offers just as much enjoyment. The lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 mix successfully offers up a tremendously immersive soundfield. From the front to the rear this mix doesn't miss a beat. Whether it's high-flying dragon battles, or an intimate talk between a father and his son, 'How to Train Your Dragon 2' is satisfyingly perfect.

Up front the dialogue is always intelligible. Even Gerard Butler's heavily accented Stoick is easily heard. When the action gets cranked up and dragons start shooting fireballs, Hiccup's orders come through the center channels clearly. The side channels offer depth, as dragons glide from one edge of the screen to the other.

Explosions will no doubt shake the pictures on the walls in your media room. This is one of the most sub-woofer dependent movies of 2014. The action rarely lets up and when huge alpha dragons start battling the thunderous bass is deep and distortion free.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Quote:
I personally loved 'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes' for its character work, photo realistic visual effects, suspenseful action sequences, and a top-tier sound mix, all of which make one hell of a Blu-ray. This Blu-ray + Digital HD offers up terrific video, a reference quality 7.1 DTS-HD MA sound mix (that I want to hear again in Atmos), and tons of HD-exclusive Bonus Materials.

As for which version to buy, if you don't care for 3D, this is the version to buy. If you enjoy 3D, get that version.

'Dawn' storms onto Blu-ray with a wonderfully detailed AVC MPEG-4 encode framed in the film's original 1.85:1 aspect ratio.

Photographed with a muted color palette fitting the post apocalyptic and rainy San Francisco and Muir Woods settings. Detail and overall resolution seems endless. (CGI) Animal fur, sets, human costumes, and rainy forests all come alive. Skin tones (human and ape) are realistic and well balanced. And, despite the muted palette, there is tons of color pop (particularly things like green moss). Night sequences are also great, highlighting excellent black levels -- check out the scene at the gas station in the woods. The glowing 76 ball is gorgeous, as is the sequences lit by huge fires.

For 99 percent of the film's running time, 'Dawn' approaches reference quality, but is held back because of a couple blink-and-you-miss-them moments of banding, some spikes in noise, and because the occasional visual effect is a touch less real here than there were in cinemas. Very minor quibbles.

While 'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes' debuted theatrically with a stunning Dolby Atmos surround mix, Fox has elected to release this Blu-ray in 7.1 DTS-HD MA. But don't worry, this is a reference quality, demonstration worthy sound mix with a wide dynamic range catering to swirling action sequences and immersive quiet moments.

Despite lacking height channels, the immpressive 'Dawn' soundtrack immediately captures the attention with the soft pattering of rain dripping on leaves, transforming your living room / home cinema into a forrest. From there things only improve, from the guttural ape speak to Michael Giacchino's terrific orchestral score that manages to create new themes while evoking the franchise's origins. LFE levels are tight and punchy, but never overwhelming. Surround effects panning is aggressive too.

Overall, 'Dawn' boasts an awesome Blu-ray audio experience.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardians of the Galaxy

Quote:
'Guardians of the Galaxy' is an absolute blast of a movie that blends space opera action with 1970s-1980s Americana pop culture, making the whole thing feel fresh and proving, once again, Marvel is not yet done defining the Super Hero Genre. As a Blu-ray, 'Guardians' boasts a reference quality video presentation, a fantastic 7.1 surround experience, and a nice collection of bonus materials. If you don't care about 3D, this is the edition for you. Highly recommended.

'Guardians of the Galaxy' travels across the galaxy with a highly detailed, gorgeous AVC MPEG-4 encode framed in the film's original theatrical 2.39:1 aspect ratio.

Much like its 3D (theatrical) presentation, 'Guardians' is a high definition Blu-ray stunner. This film boats a wide color palette, with lots of bright neon colors on everything from environments to starscapes to crazy alien skin tones. All of these are reproduced wonderfully. The film also mixes a number of brightly lit exterior sequences with tons of shadowy space and interior worlds, rendering a visually engaging word that is never monotonous. Black levels are spot on too, but never crush details. Special Effects too are highly detailed, with fully CGI characters Groot and Rocket coming to life in an almost photo realistic way. Finally, there are no signs of damage or encoding flaws.

'Guardians of the Galaxy' on Blu-ray is definitely the perfect disc for 2014 to demo a new display (or test out an old one).

Despite debuting theatrically with an awesome Dolby Atmos mix, Marvel and Disney have elected to encode this Blu-ray in 7.1 DTS-HD MA.

That being said, 'Guardians' sounds fantastic on Blu-ray, boasting an engaging, reference quality surround experience. Dialog is wonderfully clear, even in chaotic action sequences. Sound effects panning is aggressive, with laser blasts and space ships enveloping the home cinema environment. LFE is deep and punching, accentuating thrusters and thudding explosions. Finally, classic rock music fans are going to rejoice at how great and expansive all these tunes sound, wrapping out around the listeners. Unless you're an audiophile with a high resolution audio collection, you probably haven't heard these songs sound this good.

Overall, 'Guardians of the Galaxy' is a fantastic Blu-ray audio experience.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Princess Mononoke

Quote:
'Princess Mononoke' is one of Miyazaki's finest films for so many reasons. Its animation is glorious escapism. Its plot is necessarily complex and messy. Its characters are layered, and driven by various conflicting ideals. It's so rich in just about everything it does. With a perfect video presentation, and a faultless audio presentation (if you can get past the whole "dubtitles" thing) 'Princess Mononoke' comes highly recommended.

Like every Studio Ghibli film Disney has brought to Blu-ray, 'Princess Mononoke' looks the best it ever has. Disney has provided a faithful, beautiful presentation for this animated classic. It's easy to see that they took their time, and didn't rush. The result is a transfer that showcases Miyazaki's splendid artwork as well as it possibly could.

The detail of the animation is top-notch. There are some soft spots, but it's better they be left alone rather than tinkering with the whole transfer to try and correct them. Every frame looks natural, referencing the time it was animated. However, the transfer is free from any sort of source gunk like dust or debris. Lines are solid. It's amazing how superb the animation quality is here. I'm still awe about how great the demon at the beginning of the film looks in high-def. All those independently wiggling tentacles. All black and gray, and all of them as visible as the next.

Color is always bright and vivid. There's never a point where color doesn't play an extremely important part in the animation. Everything from primary to secondary colors are presented with care, and given the vividness they deserve. There isn't anything in the way of blocking (which, again, was mildly surprising seeing that the erratic movements of the demon's wormlike structure could've easily caused visual problems). Aliasing and banding are non-existent too, which for an animated feature is particularly impressive. Banding can be, and has been a problem when transferring older animated features to Blu-ray. In short, fans should be confident that they're getting an authentic high-def transfer of the film they've loved all these years. It's really great seeing this movie look this good.

The English dub is what it is. Many find fault with the so-called "dubtitles," which mirror the English dub instead of using the correct subtitles released on DVD in 2000. It's understandable if this is a dealbreaker for you. Disney should have included the subtitles from the 2000 DVD release, instead of reverting back to the dubtitles, which have caused endless problems among faithful fans. But, when reviewing the actual sound coming out of the speakers, we've got to forget that for a moment. With that aside, 'Princess Mononoke' is given a wondrously satisfying DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 mix which makes the movie feel more alive than it ever has before. Lossless mixes are provided for both Japanese and English tracks.

The dialogue is clear and centered up front. The English actors providing the dubbed version of the film do seem a little lackadaisical time from time, offering up voice acting that seems a little too subdued given the movie's context. However, the dialogue is always intelligible, whether you're listening to the English or Japanese track.

There are some good, engaging ambient sounds coming from the rear speakers. When war finally comes the soundfield really cranks up, giving you a very like-you're-there type of feeling. With such deep, sustained LFE usage, 'Princess Mononoke' has very little to complain about in the audio department. As a matter of fact, there's no picking of nits to be had. It sounds utterly superb.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hundred-Foot Journey

Quote:
I know some of you are thinking this should have received a bad review, but I'm here to say that 'The Hundred-Foot Journey' is actually quite a great film. The story, characters, funny moments, and drama are all done to perfection. And the food had my mouth watering. The video and audio presentations are both excellent here and the few extras are all worth watching. Highly recommended!

'The Hundred-Foot Journey' comes with an excellent 1080p HD transfer presented in 2.39:1 aspect ratio. This films was shot with 35mm film, which is something rare today. The picture as a whole looks great. The use of the 35mm give the image a very natural and filmic look, rather than an image that looks like it has been through the digital car wash. The detail is fairly vivid and sharp, particularly in the closeups, which reveal individual hairs, wrinkles, and makeup work.

The wider shots are beautiful with amazing landscapes of the south of France, but these scenes look a bit softer, which is natural to the source. Colors simply pop of screen and shine. Each color is well saturated and looks natural. The greens, reds, browns and yellows look magnificent. The black levels are deep and inky and the skin tones are very organic. There were no issues with any banding, aliasing or video noise to speak of, leaving this video presentation with top marks.

This release comes with a great lossless DTS-HD 5.1 audio mix along with a French and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital tracks. The DTS-HD mix is the way to go here. Without being a big action movie, you might not expect a fully immersive soundtrack, but you'd be wrong in that assumption. 'The Hundred-Foot Journey' is lively, robust and full sound-wise. Dialogue is always crystal clear and easy to follow, and free of any pops, cracks, or hissing.

The ambient noises and sound effects in the restaurants, nature, and people chattering sound excellent and puts you in the center of the restaurant kitchen and dining room. You'll feel like you're really there. A.R. Rahman's score is brilliant and always adds to each scene that emotional and comedy weight without drowning out any of the dialogue or sound effects. The LFE is excellent and the dynamic range is very wide, leaving this audio track with solid marks.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Quote:
No one is going to mistake 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' for a great superhero movie. Heck, maybe it's not even a good one – but regardless of all the negative reviews that have been lumped on it by critics and fans alike, I found it to be enjoyable enough, and certainly more enjoyable than I expected going in. The movie does a good job in introducing its four pizza-eating, ninja-fighting heroes, and while the plot is very by-the-numbers and lacks originality, it contains enough well-designed action pieces to keep one's attention throughout. Despite what you've heard, this one is worth a look.

'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' was shot digitally with 3D in mind, although what we get here is a post-conversion. With that noted, the picture is incredibly sharp and full of color and detail (which is even more evident when watching the standard 2D Blu-ray version). Black levels are inky deep, skin tones are properly balanced throughout, and there's a lot of high-def 'pop' to the imagery. In fact, the image is so sharp, that one can really appreciate the work that went into the creation of the turtles themselves, as they actually look like high-end puppets or well-detailed costumes rather that full-CGI creations.

Of course, with the 3D version, much of the brightness of the 2D version is lost, although this still turns out to be one of the better post-conversion 3D efforts I've viewed on home video. There's a wonderful depth to almost every scene, and a couple of 3D 'gimmicks' have been thrown in as well, including an instance where one of the turtle's weapons seems to break free of the movie's aspect ratio (thanks to slightly thinning the ratio of the shot) and another playful scene where Splinter is tempting Michelangelo with a slice of pizza.

About the only real complaint I have has nothing to do with the actual transfer itself (which is reference-quality), but the cinematography of the movie. There are a lot of lens flares in 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles'. So much, that if I didn't know any better, I'd have thought J.J. Abrams directed this movie instead of Jonathan Liebesman. This is a distraction in the 2D version, but even more of a hindrance in the 3D version, as it often blocks out depth and details that otherwise could have been seen.

Overall, however, this is a great transfer that can be enjoyed in both 3D and 2D, with no obvious glitches or problems with the image, and nothing in terms of banding, aliasing, or the like.

The featured audio track here is a English Dolby Atmos one, which will down-covert to a 7.1 Dolby TrueHD track for those of us who don't yet have (or desire) an Atmos set-up. I actually only have 5.1 capability in my home theater right now, so it's even more of a down-convert for me, so my impressions of the track are going to be limited to what my home theater can output.

With that in mind, this is simply an outstanding piece of work, with a completely immersive feel throughout, distinct sounds and clear separation in every scene, and an incredibly well-balanced mix that never allows dialogue to be drowned out by all the other activity and action going on. This track does a great job with LFE effects as well as more distinct ambient sounds occurring throughout the soundtrack - meaning both the most action-packed and the quietest sequences in the movie provide an enjoyable listen. The clarity here is just great, and really adds to one's enjoyment of the movie. I can only imagine what this track sounds like with a full Atmos set-up in one's home, but for my equipment, it certainly came across as reference-quality stuff.

In addition to the Atmos lossless track, 5.1 Dolby Digital tracks are available in French, Spanish, and Portuguese. An English Audio Description track is also available, as are subtitles in English SDH, English, French, Spanish, and Portuguese. The same audio and subtitle options are available on both the 3D and 2D Blu-rays.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Equalizer

Quote:
Although I did have some issues with the way the story played out and some of the graphic violence, there's no doubt that 'The Equalizer' is a solid piece of entertainment, almost exclusively due to the quality acting of star Denzel Washington. He adds depth to a story than might otherwise be just another run-of-the-mill action flick. For that reason, this one is recommended.

'The Equalizer' was shot digitally on Arri Alexa cameras, and arrives on Blu-ray with a strong, detailed, and colorful transfer from Sony. A big chunk of the movie takes place at night and/or in dimly lit environments, and the black levels here are outstanding. There will be no issue with viewers being able to delineate shadows, as the black levels are deep and inky. Detail and clarity is also wonderful throughout, including the actors themselves, as every crease and wrinkle can be made out on the performers' faces.

I did not see 'The Equalizer' in theaters, but if there's one mild problem with the transfer, it's that the colors are a little too rich and oversaturated at times, particularly when it comes to yellows and whites. Frequent lens flaring in the image also sometimes distracts from one's enjoyment, but this is obviously an issue to take up with the movie's cinematographer and no fault of the actual transfer here. In terms of any defects, like aliasing or banding, I didn't detect any issues.

Overall, this is a great looking movie, and just short of a reference-quality transfer. Fans of the film will be quite pleased with what they get here in terms of image.

The primary track here is an English 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio one that should give your home theater a great workout. While dialogue is primarily up front, the audio makes use of the rears for both an immersive feel, as well as some fun directionality – primarily with things like cars, subway cars, and bullets. Separation and distinctiveness of sounds throughout are top-notch. There are a few explosions in the movie as well, and the track has some nice LFE moments.

However, if there's one issue I have with this otherwise well-done track, it's the same issue I have with a lot of Sony Blu-ray tracks: the mix tends to emphasize the effects (i.e., explosions, fighting, etc.) at the expense of the dialogue. Too often, big action sequences are way too loud, while quieter moments are way too soft. This seems to be par for the course with most action movie releases from this studio, and it's something I wish they'd address. Most viewers don't seem to ever complain about this, though, so I realize I'm a minority when it comes to this. I just find it annoying to have to play with your remote control all during the movie, so the big action sequences don't wake the neighbors, but so you can still hear the dialogue during the non-action scenes.

In addition to the DTS-HD lossless audio, 5.1 Dolby Digital tracks are available in both French and Spanish. There's also an English Descriptive Audio track in English 5.1 Dolby Digital. Subtitles are available in English, English SDH, French, and Spanish.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Maze Runner

Quote:
Essentially a reimagining of William Golding's classic Lord of the Flies, 'The Maze Runner' is surprisingly more engaging and stimulating than the recent slew of YA adaptations flooding theaters of late, focusing one central mystery and the tensions between adolescent boys. The Blu-ray arrives with excellent picture quality and a demo-worthy audio presentation. With a healthy collection of supplements and goodies, the overall package is recommended for both fans and the curious.

The dystopian actioner makes a mad dash for Blu-ray with a top-notch 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 encode that astounds with lots of details and rich clarity. Shot on a variety of HD cameras, the freshly-minted transfer shows clean distinct lines in the rugged clothing of the characters, the wooden huts, the surrounding foliage and along the grey stone walls of the maze. Rust marks on the concrete structure are plainly visible while pores and negligible blemishes in the cast are exposed. The color palette is intentionally on the drab and limited side, true to the photographic style of Enrique Chediak, yet primaries come through accurately and boldly. Brightness and contrast are very well-balanced with crisp, brilliant whites and deep, penetrating blacks that allow plenty of visibility in the darkest portions. Overall, the 2.40 image is excellent near-reference quality.

The sci-fi thriller debuts on home video with a superb and awesomely effective DTS-HD MA soundtrack guaranteed to demonstrate the capabilities of one's system. Rear activity is simply phenomenal, delivering a wealth of atmospherics that discrete and consistent right from the start. The wind blows through the trees in the distance, the faint subtle sounds of movement in the maze disturb the obvious silence of the Glade, and the voices of the boys when gathering in a crowd surround the listener. When exploring the maze, the wind is noticeably and creepily hollow, echoes bounce of the large concrete slabs, and the walls adjust with frightening aggressiveness and presence. Most exciting is hearing the clicking or the metallic stomping of the Grievers convincingly panning all around, creating a terrifically immersive 360° soundfield.

In the front soundstage, the lossless mix generates a wall of sound from the moment we see Thomas riding the elevator to the top. The loud, rackety sounds of grinding metal, cans bumping into each other and air swooshing downward are plainly heard with credible realism off-screen. Throughout the rest of the runtime, imaging remains broad and spacious with outstanding balance and fluid movement between the channels. Dynamic range exhibits clean separation between the mids and highs, allowing the unique stomp of the Grievers on concrete an impressive sense of presence. Although it doesn't actively dig deep, the low-end is equally noteworthy for providing the action, especially when related to the maze, with striking weight and impact. With excellent dialogue reproduction in the center, the movie arrives with reference audio.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Walk Among the Tombstones

Quote:
The bleak, moody atmosphere of 'A Walk Among the Tombstones' is what separates it from the pack of been-there-done-that detective movies. However, there comes a point where the movie simply can't hide from detective movie clichés any longer. Neeson's performance is fun to watch. The cinematography is a joy, but it's difficult to get past the familiar tropes that continuously pop up. Though, it's worth a look especially with its strong audio and video presentations.

With all its bleak darkness and encompassing shadows, 'A Walk Among the Tombstones' provides a diverse and strong 1080p visual presentation. Black levels are excellent. Even though inky shadows dominate the visuals, there is clear delineation from shadow and fine detail. There's never a moment where the shadows become too overbearing. They only add to the movie's creepy ambiance, and never detract from the viewer's pleasure.

Nicely lit scenes sport a striking amount of detail. Facial detail is top-notch. Pores and facial hair are readily visible. As for distracting anomalies like blocking, noise, or aliasing, there's nothing to report. Even in the darkest areas of the movie's color palette, noise is completely invisible.

The DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 is equally sturdy. It isn't a non-stop action movie, but when the action ratchets up the audio mix goes all out. Thudding gunshots boom out of the sub-woofer. Honestly, some of the gunshots in this movie sound like small bombs. They may be a little over the top when it comes to how deafening they are, but if you're into loud bass whenever you can get it, then boy you'll enjoy the beginning and end of this movie for sure.

Dialogue is always clear. Even when Neeson is mumbling through his lines with his tough-guy gruff voice. The movie's eerie soundtrack is given ample room to breathe as it wafts through the front speakers, bleeding into the rear channels at times. The rear channels are full of the ambient sounds of the city.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Boxtrolls

Quote:
More somber and serious than their previous macabre-inspired efforts, Laika's 'The Boxtrolls' nonetheless enchants and mesmerizes with stunning animation and wonderfully dark but challenging tale adult audiences can appreciate. The Blu-ray arrives with reference-quality video and an excellent audio presentation. Bonus section feels a bit light, but the overall package is nevertheless a winner and recommended for the family.

As we'd expect from a Laika stop-motion production, the boxtrolls roam the dark streets and alleys of Blu-ray with a magnificent, first-rate 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 encode that will have viewers believing in this fantasy world.

Presented in its original 1.85:1 aspect ratio, the presentation is razor sharp with excellent detailing in every scene, even those with a thick, hovering fog, of which there are several. The stitching on the clothes is plainly visible; we can make out every thread and seam is precise and evident, allowing viewers to really appreciate the level of work that went into designing this elaborate world. Not only do characters promenade about the screen with believable movement, but each shows distinct wrinkles and deliberate blemishes with lifelike textures, from the faces of older characters to the boxes of trolls. Very fine, discrete lines in the buildings and unique architecture expose some interestingly charming features, from minor imperfections and flaws to individual stones and cracks.

The rest of the video displays a slightly subdued contrast level, which for all intents and purposes we can assume is an intentional creative choice. This gives the film a downcast appeal for a majority of the runtime, and in the final quarter, it is used to complement a larger change in the storyline where suddenly the town is bright and energetic with clean, crisp whites. However, blacks are thankfully not affected by this, filling the screen with inky rich shadows that pierce deep into the image, creating an excellently pleasing three-dimensional picture. Primaries are vibrant and sumptuous while cleanly-rendered secondary hues provide warmth and vigor to the comedy, making this stop-motion flick an outstanding watch.

On the audio side, the trolls may look better than they sound, but the cute, mischievous creatures living beneath the town nonetheless make quite the ruckus in this splendidly satisfying DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack. For the most part, this is a front-heavy design, which is both surprising and a tad disappointing given the company's two previous efforts. However, the rears are employed on several occasions, primarily and most notably during action sequences where effects enjoy discrete directionality and excellent panning. Dynamic range is distinct with clean definition of the tiniest object clanging and ringing across a very well-balanced soundstage. The low-end is ample and robust, providing adequate weight and rumble to certain scenes, and dialogue is intelligible with clean intonation in the conversations, making this an excellent lossless mix.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Hero 6

Disclaimer: Using the affiliate links above helps support our forum at no extra cost to you. We thank you!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whiplash

Disclaimer: Using the affiliate links above helps support our forum at no extra cost to you. We thank you!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 19 of 23
Jump to: