Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Infitec Passive 3D system

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> 3D Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THX-UltraII

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Infitec Passive 3D system Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I had the opportunity to get a good deal on a Infitec 3D system. This system exists of two modified Epson TW9200 projectors, the INFITEC HDMI 1.4 3D Passive Splitter and 2 passive glasses.

I have questions before I start running the system.

- First of all there is an installation question I have. I connected both the TW9200s to the HDMI output A and HDMI output B of the Infitec Splitter and connected my HTPC to the HDMI input 1. So far so good. However, both the TW9200 projectors are internally modified (so not with a add-on filter like Infitec also sells them) and according to the seller both the projectors are different modified. He told me one projector is for the left eye and one for the right eye. How do I know which one is which? And also: I want to be able to use 2D too (of course). The seller told me to use one of the two projectors for 2D. But how do I know which one this is? (he could not tell me more about this unfortunately. I was a very good but also very quick deal ).

-Next important question is calibration:

I calibrate my own projectors with Chromapure and my i1 Display 3 Pro meter. How the hell am I going to calibrate all this?? Do I just calibrate them both in 2D perfectly and that s it? Or are there any cahtches to this?

That's it for now guys.......

Thanks for all input.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THX-UltraII wrote:
- First of all there is an installation question I have. I connected both the TW9200s to the HDMI output A and HDMI output B of the Infitec Splitter and connected my HTPC to the HDMI input 1. So far so good. However, both the TW9200 projectors are internally modified (so not with a add-on filter like Infitec also sells them) and according to the seller both the projectors are different modified. He told me one projector is for the left eye and one for the right eye. How do I know which one is which? And also: I want to be able to use 2D too (of course). The seller told me to use one of the two projectors for 2D. But how do I know which one this is? (he could not tell me more about this unfortunately. I was a very good but also very quick deal ).

Figuring out which is which is easy. Just fire one of the projectors up, put the glasses on, and look at the screen, and you'll immediately see which eye "sees" the projector, and which one is filtered. The polarizers in the glasses correspond to polarizers in the modified projectors. I'd then tag the projectors "left" and "right" at that point so you know which projector is for which filter in the glasses. Then, look at the Infinitec manual to see which projector should be "A" and which should be "B". I'm guessing it doesn't matter, since there's probably an easy way to reverse the polarity. That's probably why they labeled the outputs "A" and "B" and not "L" and "R" - because it doesn't matter until you're running content.

FYI, you can tell even with certain scenes in 3D content whether your eye configuration is correct. When a large foreground object masks or obscures background, it will be very obvious whether the polarity is correct because each eye will have a very different perspective of the background object. If you alternate closing your eyes, it should be intuitive whether the views your eyes are seeing is correct, or backwards.

You should be able to use either projector for watching 2D. I'd probably just alternate between the two of them to keep lamp hours comparable.

THX-UltraII wrote:
-Next important question is calibration:

I calibrate my own projectors with Chromapure and my i1 Display 3 Pro meter. How the hell am I going to calibrate all this?? Do I just calibrate them both in 2D perfectly and that s it? Or are there any cahtches to this?

I'm very far from a calibration expect, but yes - I'd calibrate the two projectors individually. Once each is calibrated as well as possible, then I'd fire them both up and run a test again to see where the composite landed. You could end up with some little humps in linearity or a slight drift in gamma that could be made a little better. Of course, since 2D viewing is IMHO a little more critical viewing, I'd probably be more concerned with how they look in 2D, and not worry about the 3D operation as much, but I'd also be curious and want to measure it and see where things landed.

Please post some photos of the setup! I'm very interested!

Cheers,
SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, looking at Infinitec's site, and the way the interference filters work, one of the projectors may look slightly brighter, or colors slightly more vivid. You could use that one for 2D, but then you'd put more hours on that lamp and throw the two out of balance, so I'd still just alternate between the two to keep lamp hours comparable. You could measure it from time to time to make sure the brightness was staying in the ballpark between the two, and replace both lamps if at some point they drift too far apart.

I sent a quote on filters for JVC DLC-series. I'm really curious to find out cost. Stacking two older RS45's for a brighter image on a larger screen and passive 3D would both be very interesting to me.

Cheers,
SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Infitec Passive 3D system Reply with quote

THX-UltraII wrote:
I calibrate my own projectors with Chromapure and my i1 Display 3 Pro meter. How the hell am I going to calibrate all this??

From our ChromaPure page: http://www.curtpalme.com/ChromaPure.shtm

Quote:
Can I calibrate 3D with ChromaPure?

Yes. There are only two differences between a 3D calibration and a regular one:

1. The test patterns must invoke the 3D mode on the display. We do not know of any Blu-ray test discs that include 3D patterns as of this writing (March 2012). The AccuPel video pattern generator has three different 3D modes (frame packing, side-by-side, and top-to-bottom). When the display detects one of the test modes, it automatically goes into its 3D operating mode. On some displays 3D mode can forced regardless of the signal. The Radiance video processor may also be used as it has some 3D test patterns available.

2. Place the 3D glasses in front of the meter and calibrate as you would normally.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
THX-UltraII

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

about the calibration. I just found out that the 2 Epson TW9200 use a internal hardware filter that switches. It works like this: when you enable ''Living Room mode'' on the TW9200 the Epson uses it s own filter. So the Living Room mode is for watching 2D (which would mean I can watch 2D on one of the 2 TW9200s so lamp hours drift not too much from each other). The ''Cinema Mode'' is where the Epsons use the Infitec filter that was build in the 9200s. So with this information I think I need to calibrate it as follows:

- calibration 1: projector A preset ''living room'' calibration without glasses in front of my meter and calibrate it to D65 (for watching 2D)

- calibration 2: projector B preset ''living room'' calibration without glasses in front of my meter and calibrate it to D65 (for watching 2D)

- calibration 3: projector A preset ''cinema'' calibration with glasses (only the right glass of the glasses!) in front of my meter and calibrate it to D65 (for watching 3D)

- calibration 4: projector B preset ''cinema'' calibration with glasses (only the left glass of the glasses!) in front of my meter and calibrate it to D65 (for watching 3D)

So projector A or B is used for watching 2D and projector A and B both for 3D.

Is this correct you think?
THX-UltraII

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I also just found out is that when I put both the TW9200s in Living Room mode one of the projectors is far more dim than the other one. This makes no sense to me because when choosing the Living Room mode on the projector the Epson filter is beeing used.

Anyone a thought on this one?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> 3D Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: