Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

New batch of Marquee HDMI v3 cards. Pre-order and save!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Same reason as stated above: Lack of interest. The Marquee cards simply do not sell as well as the other cards.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moome has to take into account that there are not very many marquee 9500's and 8500's floating around as much as there used to be.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so much how many are around but completely about how well they sell. He has them made in big batches to reduce the cost and doesn't want to get stuck with a bunch of stock left over. The previous batch took forever to sell out, so once it was all gone he had no interest in making another batch right away or a much smaller batch (which would drive the price right up).

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

makes sense.....but I do not see many units available either except from Curt....although I did see one a few weeks back on the buy and sell.....I think Curt was angry. But between Moome and MP, without them this hobby would not exist for me really. Perhaps the same for others. Curt and you(Kal) have been great as well. But there are some like Eisermann that can give the hobby a bad name.
maf

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got an email from Moome saying my HDMI cards shipped. So those who have been holding out get yours now. This last batch he did was a small one.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4K on CRT is a fantasy, a fantasy I enjoy thinking about, but the technical obstacles involved in making any CRT projector do justice to 4K are considerable.

I'd buy an HDMI 2.0 input card for a Marquee if the price wasn't insane, even knowing full well that it would be (probably) impossible to make the most of it, nonetheless.

You need about 600 MHz of clean bandwidth to FULLY resolve 4K. You need a H. scan rate of about 130 KHz as well.

Cathode capacitance is a limiting factor on the bandwidth capacity of the CRT. There may simply be too much capacitance for 4K,
even if you could focus the electron beam with enough precision to give a useful MTF value on a 3140x2160 raster, and finally, I'm not even sure if the phosphor grain is sufficiently fine to fully resolve it.

And then there's the matter of optics: If we assume that the maximized raster is 75 mm tall, or about 3 inches, (widescreen format image) on the CRT face, then you've got to stuff 2160 lines (1130 pairs) into 225 millimeters. Working the math,
and knowing that the HD10GT17 lenses are rated to resolve 12 line pairs per millimeter, what's 12 times 75? It's 900.

We can resolve 900 line pairs over a 75 mm tall raster on the CRT face but we need 1130. We'd need lenses that resolve 15 line pairs per millimeter, and we don't have it. BUT...it's probably close enough.

I'd tentatively say that the GT17 lenses would work, but they're marginal. They'd make it if you used the full raster height, but then you wouldn't have a widescreen formatted image unless you used anamorphic lenses, and who wants to buy three of those at 10K per lens, not counting modification costs?

4K is simply asking too much of any existing CRT platform. To make that work, a new machine would have to be custom designed and built, and we all know it's not going to happen.

If your fantasy is to see 4K via CRT, then you CAN do it, right now, by stacking 4 Marquees in a 2x2 array and blending. I'd like to see that, but I don't have any plans to build it.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To extend upon my post above, actually there are some 9" machines that have enough resolution capacity over and above 1080p that it'd be worth having an HDMI 1.4 or 2.0 input in order to at least view downsampled 4K material that is still well above 1080p.

In a very few cases, there actually is potential for a CRT projector to resolve 4K. The Barco Cine 9 can almost do it right out of the box. Its max rated H resolution is almost enough, its max rated V resolution is more than needed. Still a bit short on bandwidth, though.

All top gun 9 inchers should be able to handle the scan rates involved, up to 60 Hz refresh rate or maybe more.

LUG tubes, well, that's what the Cine 9 uses. And they're pretty close to good enough for 4K.

Video chains can be modded, bandwidth can be extended. The HDMI 2.0 data stream maxes out at 297 MHz and it stands to reason that if you have
300 MHz of clean video bandwidth, you MAY have enough, depending on the encoded refresh rate. There is a problem there, because I believe the 2K refresh rate
is 24 FPS. Which is unwatchable on a CRT. We need twice that at the very minimum. But at around a 3K display resolution, which would certainly be worth watching, the pixel count and bandwidth requirement is halved and now we're back in the game.

Really the toughest obstacle is to tickle RGB signals out of an HDMI 1.4 or 2.0 data stream. The rest is all just engineering.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
To extend upon my post above, actually there are some 9" machines that have enough resolution capacity over and above 1080p that it'd be worth having an HDMI 1.4 or 2.0 input in order to at least view downsampled 4K material that is still well above 1080p.

In a very few cases, there actually is potential for a CRT projector to resolve 4K. The Barco Cine 9 can almost do it right out of the box. Its max rated H resolution is almost enough, its max rated V resolution is more than needed. Still a bit short on bandwidth, though.

All top gun 9 inchers should be able to handle the scan rates involved, up to 60 Hz refresh rate or maybe more.

LUG tubes, well, that's what the Cine 9 uses. And they're pretty close to good enough for 4K.

Video chains can be modded, bandwidth can be extended. The HDMI 2.0 data stream maxes out at 297 MHz and it stands to reason that if you have
300 MHz of clean video bandwidth, you MAY have enough, depending on the encoded refresh rate. There is a problem there, because I believe the 2K refresh rate
is 24 FPS. Which is unwatchable on a CRT. We need twice that at the very minimum. But at around a 3K display resolution, which would certainly be worth watching, the pixel count and bandwidth requirement is halved and now we're back in the game.

Really the toughest obstacle is to tickle RGB signals out of an HDMI 1.4 or 2.0 data stream. The rest is all just engineering.

Moome is working on an HDMI 2.0 input card for Sony now. I hope it comes through.

In addition to downsampled 4k, I am hoping to convince Lumagen to create a 4k interlaced output mode for us. I haven't even mentioned this to them yet because right now they have much bigger fish to fry and I know Jim will be thrilled to do it (sarcasm because he HATES interlaced video). 4Kp 48Hz could possibly be viewed on the Cine 9 and G90 without modifications to the projectors. 4Ki 72Hz could also most likely be displayed on both projectors as well (maybe the Marquee too?). 4Kp 48Hz can be output by the Radiance PRO line now and it is capable of doing 4Ki if Patrick writes the code.

The Marquee with mods has the best resolution in terms of video chain, but is not designed to lock onto such high clock rates so something would need to be done in software for a single projector.

It's all really up in the air...

What I think is an insurmountable issue for CRT is that UHD specifies the DCI-P3 color gamut. We don't have Celements that can push our gamut that large. Even if we did, the phosphor probably doesn't produce enough green light in the spectrum to have any light output left after filtration. The effect would be like displaying Rec709 on a projector with clear Celements.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that Moome isn't (described as) working on an HDMI 2.0 input for Marquees. Last I heard, and this should certainly still be true becaue Marquees were made longer and in larger numbers than any other CRT projector, Marquees are still the most common CRT projector in the home theatre hobby.

So they should sell the most Marquee HDMI input cards, right?

I wonder why that hasn't happened.

Since I got one, there's never been any reason to use anything else. In fact I will most likely buy another one since I have now bought another 9500LC from a friend, for peanuts. One of them will be my test mule for me to run my Lexel 9" custom CRT set in.
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know he is not working on one? Have you asked? I know he is working on a Barco version with Francisco.

If Moome reads this I am interested too. I guess we have a better chance in the Moome forum.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sony and Marquee cards are virtually the same with different pinouts and slight differences between the analog sections. I would not be surprised if a Marquee version will emerge shortly after the Sony version assuming we get one at all.

For whatever reason, more people are willing to spend money on Sony and Barco projectors than Marquee projectors in general. I have seen this trend personally over the past ten years. The number of Marquee CRT projectors I maintain has gone down and plummeted over the past two years. The number of G90 and Barco projectors I maintain continues to increase (though at a slower rate than in the past).

I've hear from Curt that G90 and 9" Barco projectors sell much better than Marquee projectors. I have also heard from Moome that sales of the Marquee VIM cards have not been good while Sony VIM cards have sold continuously. This is why Moome stopped production of the Marquee VIM for a while and only started again once he knew there were people who actually would buy them.

It seems to me that the fact that there are far more Marquee projectors in service has lead to this phenomena. IMHO Marquee owners tend more often to be "dumpster divers" and tend to want to keep the budget for their projectors lower than Sony of Barco owners. I see first hand that Marquee owners are much less willing to open up their wallets for hardware and calibration services. I am not saying there are no Marquee owners out there willing to spend money on their projectors, just less than Sony and Barco.

I'm not bashing Marquee or owners. I'm just pointing out my observations.

I would also think that Moome will probably come up with an EXT version with HDMI 2.2 and HDCP 2.2.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does make sense. If the cost of entry is low enough, people who can't afford the more expensive units can buy the lower cost units, but may not be able to afford to spring for calibrations, mods, etc. Even though the unit they bought was originally just as expensive as the higher cost units being offered today.

I see that in the Porsche world. First generation Boxsters, due to a potentially fatal (to the engine) design defect, can be had for absurdly low prices for such an (originally) expensive, high performance car, but people who are buying them because "Finally, there's one I can afford on my measly paycheck!" flinch when they discover than an oil change is 100 dollars and the cost of routine PM services runs at least 500 dollars. So they don't give the cars the maintenance they really should be getting.
GREG1292

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewolfman wrote:
I think you're stating the obvious here.. without MP and moome, doing their thing, there would be no more progress with CRT.

How true this statement is and still true to this day. Thanks MP and Moome for giving us the best VDC crts on the planet Thumbs Up

https://discuss.avscience.com/?topic=30.120
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:
For whatever reason, more people are willing to spend money on Sony and Barco projectors than Marquee projectors in general. I have seen this trend personally over the past ten years. The number of Marquee CRT projectors I maintain has gone down and plummeted over the past two years. The number of G90 and Barco projectors I maintain continues to increase (though at a slower rate than in the past).
craigr
based on the pic thrown by the new VDC machines this is not a surprise. Between the (never set correctly) trim pots/peaking circuit and the "Black pedestal destruction mod" the video performance is actually lower than the older machines. This is at least fixe-able, but not if your a dumpster diving skin-flint Wink
View user's photo album (2 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Moome doesn't make a Marquee specific HDMI 1.4 or greater card, I'll get the Sony card and rework it to run on a Marquee.

I definitely want to TRY for 4K.
GREG1292

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
CIR Engineering wrote:
craigr
based on the pic thrown by the new VDC machines this is not a surprise. Between the (never set correctly) trim pots/peaking circuit and the "Black pedestal destruction mod" the video performance is actually lower than the older machines. This is at least fixe-able, but not if your a dumpster diving skin-flint Wink

Interesting having seen properly setup and calibrated so called high end Sony G90 stack that was lifeless and just flat unimpressive I am a proud owner of surplus projector that you all paid for and when all the mods are installed and proper boards modified the image is stunning. So the diving begins when you bash VDC/MP/Moome. Post your smpte pattern with you calibrated Barco and Sony's and show everyone how good it really is.

redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

No arguing with true believers Very Happy

Glad you are happy Wink

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redfox001 wrote:
Shocked

No arguing with true believers Very Happy

Glad you are happy Wink

You not satisfied with the evidence presented about the new mods.?
Amuse me with your wisdom and know how as well as the facts.

cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red, to my point of view you're all horn and no driveshaft. You're being critical without presenting any objective evidence that you have created anything better than what you're criticizing.
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I knew that remark is difficult to understand. Just forget it. To my opinion Greg has been brainwashed that is how he sounds. The g90 has no depth. That is a subjective measure that only a small cult of guys hold true and it is utter bs to the rest of the world. But I will not argue such a statement unless forced to Very Happy Halelujah only Marquee has the magic! (Irony)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: