Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Are you going digital 2015 ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
One thing I should add about the OLEDs was I wonder how many are selling? When we looked at the panel at Tigerdirect, the guy said they haven't sold one yet (or at least to his knowledge). I wonder what the price point is to really see sales take off.

Of course, when the salesmen really can't explain why the technology is better then that limits the amount of product that can be moved. Our first kid kept talking about the colors and I had to bite my tongue. The second guy mentioned contrast, but couldn't explain it that well.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to know about longevity. Considering that Mac told me that the most common problem now on LCD/LED driven TVs is the LCD screen and the LEDs themselves, I can't wait to see what happens with this 'new' technology...

My guess is that the bragged about 60,000 hour lifespan of LED light sources is GREATLY exaggerated. I've seen a few bad ones myself, and I don't see that many.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only is it difficult to build overly large panels for TVs but there's a point where the cost of storing, shipping, and generally handling them (even at point of sale) becomes extremely difficult. For this reason I really doubt we'll see anything much bigger than 70-80", ever, if the panels need to be rigid. If ever they get flexible panels to a point where they can be rolled up like wrapping paper, then all bets are off.

With normal rigid sets the things are big and start to get very heavy and given the fragility of them it's not obvious to move around let alone ship to retailers without damage. Never mind trying to at a 10 foot "TV" into your house. I had to take apart my 110" screen to get it down and around 180 degree turn into my basement. You can't do that with a TV.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
I want to know about longevity. Considering that Mac told me that the most common problem now on LCD/LED driven TVs is the LCD screen and the LEDs themselves, I can't wait to see what happens with this 'new' technology...

My guess is that the bragged about 60,000 hour lifespan of LED light sources is GREATLY exaggerated. I've seen a few bad ones myself, and I don't see that many.

I would be happy with 15k hours. I realize for the turn it on and leave it on people like Stefuel that would not be good, but for me that would be 7-10 years or more.

kal wrote:
Not only is it difficult to build overly large panels for TVs but there's a point where the cost of storing, shipping, and generally handling them (even at point of sale) becomes extremely difficult. For this reason I really doubt we'll see anything much bigger than 70-80", ever, if the panels need to be rigid. If ever they get flexible panels to a point where they can be rolled up like wrapping paper, then all bets are off.

With normal rigid sets the things are big and start to get very heavy and given the fragility of them it's not obvious to move around let alone ship to retailers without damage. Never mind trying to at a 10 foot "TV" into your house. I had to take apart my 110" screen to get it down and around 180 degree turn into my basement. You can't do that with a TV.

Kal

You probably need to see an OLED. The sales guy went up and flexed the corner. I nearly sh$t. They aren't roll up flexible, but they aren't rigid. He did say some guy came in and wanted to see how far he could bend it and promptly broke it. I hope Tiger made him buy the TV. If I would have been there then I would have hit him. Evil or Very Mad

You are probably correct that there may not be any large screens over 80" or so, but I have to think that LG will attack the sign/display market at some point. Honestly, unless the price drops dramatically I am good for right now. What I really would like is an OLED computer monitor. Give me a 26" Oled for $500 and I would hurt myself pulling my debit card out. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: