Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Amazon Fire?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Amazon Fire? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Anyone tried this yet? With a Quad core processor, voice command, and other features it looks it literally blows away all the others including Apple. Has optical audio too so I can use it with my current receiver and replace the apple.
Worth 100 bucks?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CX5P8FC/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00CX5P8FC&linkCode=as2&tag=curtpalmecrtp-20&linkId=P7VG7EZABDNZ5OMA

Linked edited to support our forum at no extra cost to you - thank you for your support!
View user's photo album (2 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a gross exaggeration to say the Fire TV "blows away all the others including Apple". The quad core processor is relatively useless if all you're going to do is watch movies, and the memory doesn't make movie-watching any better. Further, Apple TV has something along the lines of voice search if you use an iPod touch, iPad, or iPhone, but Amazon doesn't point that out.

Unless you want to buy the controllers and play games on it, or unless you already have Amazon Prime or are willing to sign up and pay for that service, I'm not sure the Fire TV is going to offer that much more than the Apple TV - at least not enough to make it worth the hassle.

Is it worth $100? Absolutely, but so is Apple TV. What specifically are you missing with the Apple TV that you think the Fire TV will do for you?

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Unless you want to buy the controllers and play games on it, or unless you already have Amazon Prime or are willing to sign up and pay for that service, I'm not sure the Fire TV is going to offer that much more than the Apple TV - at least not enough to make it worth the hassle.

SC
yeah it seems like most of the negative reviews are from people tried the most basic service and didn't buy 100% into the "Amazon experience" . I'm just not campy like that in regards to any corporate offering.

ecrabb wrote:
Is it worth $100? Absolutely, but so is Apple TV. What specifically are you missing with the Apple TV that you think the Fire TV will do for you?

SC
better connectivity, although this might or might not be an Apple TV issue. With both kids on I-pads watching you-tube the apple TV will scroll repeatedly through movies.
I need to check our router and see if it's possible to "prioritize" wireless devices but the apple TV seems ot either be on the bottom of totem pole or gets confused when there's multiple streams thru the router.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Prime member but use it mostly for shipping and not prime movies. I bought two Fire TV sticks when they were offered to Prime members for $19 each.

It is fairly slick and came with a remote. It is a no brainer for $19, but I don't think I would spend $40 for the stick or $100 for the full box.

For Netflix, I can use nearly almost anything else to watch Netflix (TV, BR Player, game system, MIRACAST, Chromecast, etc.). I really don't need another Netflix streamer.

For Amazon Prime, this doesn't appear markedly better than my built-in Vizio Amazon app, but the UI is better/more manageable.

For rental videos there are other options as well.

We got an Xbox One for Christmas and I have planted it in the living room to act as our central control hub including routing the cable box through the Xbox. It is in early stages for us, but seems really slick and will probably push the Fire TV stick to the downstairs bedroom or garage before too long.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One step closer ot throwing the AppleTV against the wall and going full amazon prime. Today I decided to redeem all my Ultraviolet content before the codes expired. no problem, created an account at Flixter thru the HBO digital redemption web-site and they quickly showed all my movies in my Ultraviolet library.

went down stairs to find flixter on Apple TV , Apple tv needs ot update. over 30 minutes to download update + 20 minutes to install and re-boot. Evil or Very Mad
then.
no flixter. Flixter is standard on Amazon box but What to do with Apple TV, google "accessing UV from Apple" .

Oh look you can do it thru Vudu which is on the apple menu. Go to Vudu, first thing they try and do is get my CC info. Keep hitting "do this later". Finally, my account is created and lo and behold no GOT. They're all in my Ultraviolet locker but one of them show up on Vudu.
got the forum, turn out this is common, Vudu is famous for losing your movies and they will pop on and off depending on what kindo f f*ck*** up deal they are haggling with providers that week. This is obviously a sh*t web-site that will not last long. But hey, it's what your stuck with if your a toolin Apple fool.

tried accessing thru I-movies or i-tunes or whatever other rotten Apple app. is there. After failing the log in a couple of times, they froze my account, have to contact customer service.
What a f*cking mess.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
One step closer ot throwing the AppleTV against the wall and going full amazon prime. Today I decided to redeem all my Ultraviolet content before the codes expired. no problem, created an account at Flixter thru the HBO digital redemption web-site and they quickly showed all my movies in my Ultraviolet library.

went down stairs to find flixter on Apple TV , Apple tv needs ot update. over 30 minutes to download update + 20 minutes to install and re-boot. Evil or Very Mad
then.
no flixter. Flixter is standard on Amazon box but What to do with Apple TV, google "accessing UV from Apple" .

Oh look you can do it thru Vudu which is on the apple menu. Go to Vudu, first thing they try and do is get my CC info. Keep hitting "do this later". Finally, my account is created and lo and behold no GOT. They're all in my Ultraviolet locker but one of them show up on Vudu.
got the forum, turn out this is common, Vudu is famous for losing your movies and they will pop on and off depending on what kindo f f*ck*** up deal they are haggling with providers that week. This is obviously a sh*t web-site that will not last long. But hey, it's what your stuck with if your a toolin Apple fool.

So, you've waded stumbled into the train wreck that is Ultraviolet, and that's somehow now all Apple's fault? Sorry, but it ain't going to be any rosier over on the Amazon side when it comes to UV. Type in "ultraviolet problems" into Google, and it'll suggest things like "flixster ultraviolet problems" and "ultraviolet login problems", and Google will return 32 million results. Oh, and this is despite the fact that UltraViolet isn't nearly as widely used as something like Blu-ray in general or even iTunes. To put it more simply, if you use UltraViolet, the chances are you'll have trouble with it.

The reality is that UltraViolet is a complete unadulterated piece of sh*t technology conjured up for the studios. It's supposedly better than it was a few years ago, but it's pretty easy to see it's not that much better. If you'd bothered to spend half as much time reading as you did posting your rant, you'd easily find there is a cornucopia of articles around the web that will give you the whole run-down on what a frustrating, bug-ridden, piece of crap UltraViolet is.

I've never bothered to redeem a single UV code from any of Blu-rays. Everything that's been written about over was all I needed to know not to waste my time.

If you think you can do better with Amazon, go for it. You can sell your Apple TV on craigslist for $50, and a Fire TV is only $99. Or, what you'll probably want to do is throw the Apple TV in the drawer for when you find out there are exclusives that aren't on Amazon (remember HBO NOW?) and that there are drawbacks to Amazon's service and ecosystem, too.

draganm wrote:
tried accessing thru I-movies or i-tunes or whatever other rotten Apple app. is there. After failing the log in a couple of times, they froze my account, have to contact customer service.
What a f*cking mess.

Let's recap. A sh*tty problem-ridden distribution technology that has nothing to do with Apple is Apple's fault. That you can't remember your login/password is Apple's fault. Your sh*tty wireless connection is Apple's fault. Exclusive distribution content distribution contracts are Apple's fault.

What do you think Amazon does if you keep trying to login over and over unsuccessfully? Do you think the Fire TV won't need updates, or that if it does, it will happen magically-fast? Do you honestly think you'll have no problems with Amazon hardware or software?

SC
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you read my rant carefully enough, I had not problem with UV or registering my movies there. I just can't get any of it play on Apple TV becasue nothing Apple TV offers will take me directly to any site that connects to UV. With either Flixter or Vudu, I have ot play it thru and I-pad or I-phone and then mirror it to my Apple TV. That's f*cking pathetic, I have to introduce yet another device into a sh*t performing chain.

While I admit that when it comes to software I have very little patience which makes me almost a total tard, I'm not 100% incompetent.

right now I'm basing my opinions on what All my friends told me, they all love their Fire and Amazon prime. Most of them got rid of Netflix too. My apple has been a mediocre product, I have 40GbPs speed as of wednesday, and I'll probably try a new router too, but that little sh*t box from apple I have zero confidence in. None of our other devices scroll and stall like the Apple TV.
I don't expect amazon to be perfect, nothing's perfect. At this point I'm not looking for perfect, just want something better than awful.

If i'm wrong, and the amazon turns out be no better, I will send it back and get a full refund . I'll report back and be totally honest about it here. [/b]

Last edited by draganm on Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
It's a gross exaggeration to say the Fire TV "blows away all the others including Apple". The quad core processor is relatively useless if all you're going to do is watch movies, and the memory doesn't make movie-watching any better. Further, Apple TV has something along the lines of voice search if you use an iPod touch, iPad, or iPhone, but Amazon doesn't point that out.

SC

I bought a Fire about six months ago for two reasons.

1) Already a PRIME member.

2) The first thing I did with it was to load SMPC (XBMC for the Fire). The Fire has much more power and memory than any other simple media boxes at the price point. With SMPC I added a bunch of addons including Sports Devil and One Channel. This give me access to gray market live sports streams from around the world (all televised games everywhere live) and access to low quality TV shows shortly after they air and without commercials.

If all I wanted to do was totally legitimate things I would probably go with the Apple or a Roku.

One big hole in the Fire is no support for HBOGo yet that is official. I did "side load" HBOGo the day I got the Fire and it works fine. That said, you do need a keyboard with the Fire to make HBOGo work properly (navigate the GUI). But I have been able to use my HBOGo account on it just fine.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:
2) The first thing I did with it was to load SMPC (XBMC for the Fire). The Fire has much more power and memory than any other simple media boxes at the price point. With SMPC I added a bunch of addons including Sports Devil and One Channel. This give me access to gray market live sports streams from around the world (all televised games everywhere live) and access to low quality TV shows shortly after they air and without commercials.
If all I wanted to do was totally legitimate things I would probably go with the Apple or a Roku.

One big hole in the Fire is no support for HBO-Go yet that is official. I did "side load" HBOGo the day I got the Fire and it works fine. That said, you do need a keyboard with the Fire to make HBO Go work properly (navigate the GUI). But I have been able to use my HBO Go account on it just fine.

craigr
Had to look that up, XBMC = now called Kodi.

It sounds like you hacked your Fire and turned it into a full blown internet browser, and added a bunch of software to make it do specific things.
to me this sounds like you've created a miniature HTPC, and I have zero good memories of the HTPC days.

Is it safe to say that at this time if you want plug and play, your stuck with whatever apple, or amazon, or Roku are able to offer based on whatever contractual deals they're able to make in the corporate world? Then your also stuck with whatever issues they have or run into.
Your other option is to go completely off the reservation into the comp0uter hacker/ renegade software land where your constantly struggling ot keep up with security measures that the corporations are instituting to protect their IP?

To me both of these really suck Sad
I'm having second thoughts on HBO-apple as well. Why pay for a $180. annual subscription when the GOT BD box set runs me 35 bucks?
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
It sounds like you hacked your Fire and turned it into a full blown internet browser, and added a bunch of software to make it do specific things.
to me this sounds like you've created a miniature HTPC, and I have zero good memories of the HTPC days.

Yes and no. Yes, it's hacked. Yes, it's not supported. Yes, it'll need care and feeding, i.e. updates. But, it's not an HTPC in that the hardware is standardized. You don't have to deal with drivers for video cars and sound cards, video stuttering or tearing, a/v/ sync because of a driver incompatibility, etc. It's a single, standard piece of hardware, and the software works the same on every single version. But, yes - it is something hacked together.

draganm wrote:
Is it safe to say that at this time if you want plug and play, your stuck with whatever apple, or amazon, or Roku are able to offer based on whatever contractual deals they're able to make in the corporate world? Then your also stuck with whatever issues they have or run into.
Your other option is to go completely off the reservation into the comp0uter hacker/ renegade software land where your constantly struggling ot keep up with security measures that the corporations are instituting to protect their IP?

That pretty much sums it up. I'd just add that the hacked-together stuff on Amazon Fire or even the Apple TV jailbreaks are much better than any HTPC ever was if you're going for simplicity and you don't want to deal with much of the BS you have to deal with in HTPC land.

draganm wrote:

Agreed. The content is controlled by its owners. They control when and where you can watch it. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

draganm wrote:
I'm having second thoughts on HBO-apple as well. Why pay for a $180. annual subscription when the GOT BD box set runs me 35 bucks?

With streaming on HBO NOW, in exchange for the $180 annual sub, you're getting convenience, timeliness, and variety. You get to watch without ordering discs and waiting for them; you push a few buttons on your remote. You get day/date viewing, i.e. the day the episode is available, just like cable/sat subscribers. You also get access to everything currently on HBO, plus a large back catalog, not just one show. So, the two things aren't even remotely comparable. You're getting WAY more for the streaming subscription than with the Blu-rays. But, if you don't mind waiting until a month or so after the season is completely over to go buy the Blu-rays, and if you don't plan to watch any other HBO shows, then go for it. It's certainly cheaper that way.

Of course, if all you want to watch is GoT, you don't have to pay for an entire year. There was no mention of an annual subscription (commitment or price break), so I think they've priced it so you can turn it on, watch for 3 months, then turn it off when your show's season concludes. So, a more fair comparison would $45 for the streaming vs. $35 for the Blu-rays.

SC
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
draganm wrote:

Yes and no. Yes, it's hacked. Yes, it's not supported. Yes, it'll need care and feeding, i.e. updates. But, it's not an HTPC in that the hardware is standardized. You don't have to deal with drivers for video cars and sound cards, video stuttering or tearing, a/v/ sync because of a driver incompatibility, etc. It's a single, standard piece of hardware, and the software works the same on every single version. But, yes - it is something hacked together.

draganm wrote:

That pretty much sums it up. I'd just add that the hacked-together stuff on Amazon Fire or even the Apple TV jailbreaks are much better than any HTPC ever was if you're going for simplicity and you don't want to deal with much of the BS you have to deal with in HTPC land.

draganm wrote:

Agreed. The content is controlled by its owners. They control when and where you can watch it. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

draganm wrote:

With streaming on HBO NOW, in exchange for the $180 annual sub, you're getting convenience, timeliness, and variety. You get to watch without ordering discs and waiting for them; you push a few buttons on your remote. You get day/date viewing, i.e. the day the episode is available, just like cable/sat subscribers. You also get access to everything currently on HBO, plus a large back catalog, not just one show. So, the two things aren't even remotely comparable. You're getting WAY more for the streaming subscription than with the Blu-rays. But, if you don't mind waiting until a month or so after the season is completely over to go buy the Blu-rays, and if you don't plan to watch any other HBO shows, then go for it. It's certainly cheaper that way.

Of course, if all you want to watch is GoT, you don't have to pay for an entire year. There was no mention of an annual subscription (commitment or price break), so I think they've priced it so you can turn it on, watch for 3 months, then turn it off when your show's season concludes. So, a more fair comparison would $45 for the streaming vs. $35 for the Blu-rays.

SC

That pretty much sums up the Amazon with SPMC.

The other point is that the way I set it up, my Fire loads into the default Amazon GUI / system. So it's still a FireTV until I click the icon for SPMC. Then I can use those pain in the butt buggy addons only when I want to do something more than what a FireTV can do.

A huge disadvantage to the Fire compared to Apple and Roku is the lack of apps. SPMC circumvents that limitation.

craigr

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
if you don't mind waiting until a month or so after the season is completely over to go buy the Blu-rays, and if you don't plan to watch any other HBO shows, then go for it. It's certainly cheaper that way.
SC
a month? I wish! Sad Try 6 months at best, and more likely 8 months to a year. typically, the previous season comes out on disc a month or 2 before the next season is aired.

CIR Engineering wrote:
The other point is that the way I set it up, my Fire loads into the default Amazon GUI / system. So it's still a FireTV until I click the icon for SPMC. Then I can use those pain in the butt buggy addons only when I want to do something more than what a FireTV can do.
A huge disadvantage to the Fire compared to Apple and Roku is the lack of apps. SPMC circumvents that limitation.

craigr

craigr
that's really good to know, sounds like it's basically just another Icon the menu you can engage or leave off. How hard was it to load though, I don't see a slot for a thumb drive or other way on introducing a data stream into my Apple, and the fire seems ot have the same slots.

Anyone here this morning that Apple's going to offer their own streaming service this morning? $30. to $40. a month. Makes me wonder what they're going to offer to make people come over from Netflix where they're paying $9. to a $20. a month? and if that price includes HBO
If it was HBO + AMC + internet+ streaming of a decent movie catalog + bicycle racing for $40. I would bite Mr. Green
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
ecrabb wrote:
if you don't mind waiting until a month or so after the season is completely over to go buy the Blu-rays, and if you don't plan to watch any other HBO shows, then go for it. It's certainly cheaper that way.
SC
a month? I wish! Sad Try 6 months at best, and more likely 8 months to a year. typically, the previous season comes out on disc a month or 2 before the next season is aired.

CIR Engineering wrote:

craigr

craigr
that's really good to know, sounds like it's basically just another Icon the menu you can engage or leave off. How hard was it to load though, I don't see a slot for a thumb drive or other way on introducing a data stream into my Apple, and the fire seems ot have the same slots.

Anyone here this morning that Apple's going to offer their own streaming service this morning? $30. to $40. a month. Makes me wonder what they're going to offer to make people come over from Netflix where they're paying $9. to a $20. a month? and if that price includes HBO
If it was HBO + AMC + internet+ streaming of a decent movie catalog + bicycle racing for $40. I would bite Mr. Green

Everything is loaded through the network from your PC. Google "side loading" apps on android OS. It's pretty easy to get the SPMC and other apps side loaded on the Fire. You can then execute them through the apps setup menu. What's more difficult is if you want icons for your side loaded apps on the navigation screen. I setup HBOGo and SPMC with icons on the main screen, but that was a pain.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say that HBOGo is now supported on the Fire native. It's a supported app for FireTV now and can be downloaded directly from the Fire. It works perfectly with just the Fire remote now too.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:
Just wanted to say that HBOGo is now supported on the Fire native. It's a supported app for FireTV now and can be downloaded directly from the Fire. It works perfectly with just the Fire remote now too.

craigr

Well, in yet another chapter of Comcast / Xfinity douchebaggery, they are not supporting HBOGo on the Fire TV. So if you have any other provider HBOGo works natively now on the Fire, but if you have Comcast or Xfinity like me you are SOL. So I had to delete the native HBOGo app in the Fire TV and go back to the side loaded HBOGo app that doesn't report being Fire related so it works.

Unbelievable. Steve, I think you are correct about the cable companies going the way of the dinosaurs. Comcast is still trying to hang on to HBO even once HBO becomes available though internet subscription only.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: