Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Free for pickup - VERY large direct-view CRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Axatax_

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Free for pickup - VERY large direct-view CRT Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I was a user here along time ago (Axatax), and also on AVS (several successful trades on both forums). Now out of the CRT game --

I have a very large direct-view Toshiba CRT free for local pickup @ my mother's house. She just removed this set and was going to scrap it, but I figure I'd come back here and give you guys a shot at the set it you want it. Model is CN35D90 Toshiba Cinema Series - probably around 39" and around 1996 vintage. If you're still into LD, etc., this set is superb (with caveats, see below -- )

The set itself is dusty/grimy, but was installed in a built-in wall unit made specifically for the set, and is cosmetically 95% of it's original state. The plastic bezel around the power button is somewhat "shiny" from use - otherwise, the set is near perfect cosmetically.

Operationally, the picture will alternate between pristine and a purple cast - probably due to capacitors in the HV section.

Includes a pair of original external speakers, main remote, accessory remote, and an after-market remote. No longer have the manual. The original remotes are worm out, and there is probably battery leakage.

I can hold the set if there's genuine interest - just PM/e-mail me, otherwise, it has to go out of the house by tomorrow @ 5:00 PM EST US if there's no takers. Sorry for the short notice.

The set is extremely heavy, and you have to pick it up and haul it off by your own means.

LMK,
Jeff

Axatax_

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd post this thread WRT to the largest CRT ever made --

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ultra-hi-end-ht-gear-20-000/991666-what-largest-direct-view-crt-ever-made.html

Jury's out -- but you can see my "silly" post WRT a 110" Toshiba CRTs on the third page... Fun stuff...
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember this set (and your user from AVS) Wink !

I had the 32" back in the early/mid 90's. Great picture.

Good luck with the giveaway!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have a 32" direct-view Panasonic HDTV. Bought it used off Craigslist for something like $150, maybe 10 yrs ago. Probably haven't turned it on more than 2-3 times in the last 3-4 years...
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Axatax! You had stacked G70s back in the day, iirc. You also sent me G70 fans when I first got my G70 and you wanted nothing in return. Very nice! How's it going, man? Still have a HT?

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Axatax_

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Axatax! You had stacked G70s back in the day, iirc. You also sent me G70 fans when I first got my G70 and you wanted nothing in return. Very nice! How's it going, man? Still have a HT?

What's up! Remember the fans!! -- Still have the HT, but have been working overseas for ~8 months out of the year for awhile now without a lot of time to hit the forums.

I had to switch away from the CRTs simply due to logistical issues after a move - the ceiling in the new HT couldn't accommodate the height of the projector due to a converted garage that needed to maintain the garage door due to local code requirements (the door rolls up into a false ceiling clipping 2' out of the room height).

I donated both PJ's to a charity I'm affiliated with that serves disadvantaged children. I pop in regularly for a tune-up/repair, and they're used daily - still running strong (it's my HT away from home). Still miss those wonderful fade-to-blacks Smile. I wanted to bring the Toshiba home, but I was threatened with a body bag if I even entertained the thought! It took four ppl. to get this set into the bed of a pickup truck.

The stack never really materialized though, but i got close. The G70 doesn't really have the adjustment range for a proper side-by-side setup. I played around with a blend setup using a pair of the TVOne PCI cards, but the blend zone wasn't convincing enough at the time with the software available (in fairness, they weren't marketed as a blend device at the time - it was a nice side-effect of the flexibility of the HW). I think some people on AVS had success with the stand-alone TVOne units after a few rounds of software updates and back-and-forth with the company. I think I actually sold the TVOne cards to a member here, but through Ebay. I haven't followed the state-of-art in this dept., but at the time, it was basically the Folsum unit. Did Lumagen ever follow through with blend capability?

Didn't you have a G70 stack @ one point, then switched over to G90's? I think I remember some screen shots on AVS of your setup with King Kong and perf'd screen.

Anyhow, I'll be back at some point when my travel schedule slows down...

Nice talking to everyone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: