Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

HT Layout Feedback Request
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gnnash

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Gotcha. I just wasn't following your last post, I can be pretty thick at times!

I'm leaning toward the AT layout as well. I'm going to try to model things up in sketchup this weekend, with careful measurements. As long as I can fit a 32" door in there, so I know I can get furniture in and out, and I don't find something extremely odd when looking at the model, I think I'll go for that layout.

I'll be going with a 16x9 screen. I have quite a collection of laserdiscs, most of which are 1.85:1, and a taste for 80's and 90's movies, many of which happen to be 1.85 as well. Plus I'll be sticking with CRT for a while, until the next major failure, so I would hate to have such little phosphor usage for 16:9 and 1.85:1 material like I would if I had a scope screen.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also do constant image area. That will require four way masking though. The people who have done swear by it.

Remember multiple subs either in the corners or in the middle of the walls evens out the bass for all of the seating positions.

It was mentioned on a recent HTgeeks podcast that like 80% or 90% of all sound in a movie comes from the center speaker. Thanks to Crabb I am looking at diysoundgroup.com speakers which get a lot of praise over at AVS. I am probably going to buy a pair of their Seos speakers and Volt coaxial speakers and see which ones I like better. Supposedly the Seos speakers are excellent when it comes to movie dialogue.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Thanks to Crabb I am looking at diysoundgroup.com speakers which get a lot of praise over at AVS. I am probably going to buy a pair of their Seos speakers and Volt coaxial speakers and see which ones I like better. Supposedly the Seos speakers are excellent when it comes to movie dialogue.

The DIY Sound Group speakers are just such a massive value. That's why I'm so attracted to the idea. I love expensive high-performance stuff like Seaton's or Jeff's speakers, but they're just way beyond what I want to spend on speakers. I'd rather have a boat or a convertible or something. Anyway, there are better speakers than the DIYSG speakers, but they're many, many times the price. There are even a few cheaper speakers than the DIYSG speakers, but they're far inferior. For those who have some half-way decent mechanical skills, who don't mind getting their hands dirty in the garage a weekend or two, smelling some solder fumes putting together the crossovers, or getting a little messy prepping, sanding, and painting the cabinets can have a really incredible sounding system for far, far less than anything remotely comparable from a commercial manufacturer would cost.

Can't wait to get started on them, but I have a LONG row to hoe before I get to building speakers.

Cheers,
SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
gnnash

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll stick with 16:9 for now, I'm on a budget and can't go hog-wild with automatic masking or something like that (and don't really care to mask manually for every movie). I'm sure it would be pretty sweet though, especially with the flexibility of a CRT.

I'll be sure to wire for subs in all four corners then. For now I'll stick with the one I have, behind the screen, (unless it's better to have it out in front of the screen, of course) but I'll be ready to expand later.

A better center, maybe another tower to match my L/R speakers, will definitely be on my list of wants after the room is closed in. My center is pretty good, but as most all purpose-built center speakers go, it's a compromise made to physically fit in a suboptimal position. The AT screen will take care of that restriction!

Or maybe I'll go with the speakers you are suggesting, I'll have to look into them!
gnnash

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took a look at the DIY Sound Group website, I absolutely love the concept! Where else could you get ahold of that kind of quality (or anywhere near the size) for that price??? And with an AT screen, the look of the fronts doesn't really matter either. Just paint 'em black, and they'll hide back there well.

They'll definitely be added to my list for purchase down the road, but like Crabb, I've got a lot of other things to do before they will come around. Hopefully you two can give them a try and post your feedback somewhere, I'd love to hear how they work out.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.eminence.com/2012/10/great-uses-for-coaxial-products/

Yeah they are some nice speakers. The Seos was crowd designed and is apparently pretty good. The Volts are Eminence coaxials. Mark Seaton uses coaxials in his speakers. At William's meet, Mark mentioned how great Dirac is. If you had the funds then a MiniDSP with Dirac coax might be a really nice speaker.

In the article linked above, the total cost per speaker before wood is $135. The Volts are roughly the same, but come with a baffle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: