Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Announcing the Fourth East Coast Blendzilla Meet
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Thanks I spend a big deal of this morning reading the Frankenyokes thread. Mike also said I don't need to change the focus coils so now I am going to really believe it Very Happy

I hope to get my modified boards soon too. This version seems to be a bit different again. At least the blue gamma is bypassed but I think there is more.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wkosmann wrote:
Quote:
Hi I was wondering do you have the Frankenyokes? Did it improve anything with the modified video boards?

Nope. No stinking Frankenyokes in my system. I have gone down a different path. Mr. Ro Co did have the frankenyokes in his system once upon a time, and he has removed them. They are not needed in an optimally set up high video channel bandwidth Marquee Ultra system, where every reasonable attempt has been made to lower the noise floor in the projector(s). Such a system is fully able to resolve the smallest objects viewable in 1080P video. Mr. Ro Co, please feel free to add to these sentiments. Also, Mr. Stridsvognen, please feel free to add to these sentiments.

Mr. Stridsvognen, congratulations on safely returning home. I trust that Mr. Peer also safely returned home, and that you two did not have to sit next to Sumo wrestlers on the way back. I shall lift a toast of Glenlivet Nadurra fine casket aged Scotch single malt whisky in your honor. Some time soon after, I shall lift a toast of Glenmorangie rare casket aged Scotch single malt whisky in Mr. Peer's honor. And then, I shall throw the glass(es) into the fireplace. (At that point, my wife will be shooing me out of the house with a 14 gauge.........)

Classic William!!!!

Very Happy

Love it!!!

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
stridsvognen wrote:
Just arived back home.

Glad you made it back safe !!

It was nice meeting you and your brother.

Athanasios

Wait, the brothers Denmark got to go over the Buffalo Blend Falls? Laughing
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Nashou66 wrote:
stridsvognen wrote:
Just arived back home.

Athanasios

Yeah we even watched a hole movie.. First time on the trip.. Wink
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stridsvognen wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:
Nashou66 wrote:
stridsvognen wrote:
Just arived back home.

Athanasios

Live Die Repeat : Edge of Tomorrow.

Well Peer went for a drive as usually is what hi did on this trip from what I hear. Wink

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
stridsvognen wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:
Nashou66 wrote:
stridsvognen wrote:
Just arived back home.

Athanasios

Live Die Repeat : Edge of Tomorrow.

Well Peer went for a drive as usually is what hi did on this trip from what I hear. Wink

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Yeah he wanted to make sure no one would get any pleasure out of that car after we delivered it back lol.

He got a overdose of CRT tinkering. the first few days.. Very Happy
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few meet pics.
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Steve wondering what happened..
wkosmann

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: A Probably Final Fourth East Coast Blendzilla Meet Adendum Reply with quote

Before Cheryl and I wander off to Thanksgiving dinner.................

Those of you who came early (Kurt, Peer, Steve, Eric) to help set up for the Meet and/or just to play around and experiment saw some interesting video neckboard behaviour from my MP mod'd neckboards. The day before the Meet, my neckboards were taken out. 3 of Kurt's next generation neckboards were installed in one projector. MP loaned me 3 of his next generation neckboards for the weekend, and they were installed in the other projector. Steve then "stared at the boxes" for hours both Friday evening and most of Saturday, whilst Kurt did a "by eye" greyscale calibration. That was the video system configuration/calibration that was presented to the Fourth East Coast Blendzilla Meet attendees.

MP figured out a simple mod to my 8 neckboards, which he did that weekend, to eliminate the "interesting video neckboard" performance. I picked up my newly mod'd neckboards the Monday after the Meet ended, and installed them (with Kurt's help) the next day (Tuesday, October 21). I have been testing those neckboards for over a month now, and the "video noise" that Kurt, Steve, Peer, Eric and I witnessed has completely disappeared. These neckboards are stable, and present the best image that my Home Theater has ever projected.

I have since purchased a new Analog Way STE-100 blend hardware unit, and installed it in the Home Theater system. (The STE-100 that I used during the Meet was an Analog Way loaner, which I dropped off at Analog Way in Manhattan on my way up to Boston, on Wednesday, October 22.) The major advantages of the STE-100 over the Analog Way Diventix 8022 are 1) it is one third the height, freeing up some rack space, and 2) it automatically switches between aspect ratios as I switch sources, something I could never get the Diventix 8022 to do correctly. The one customer service tech at Analog Way who really understands both the Diventix 8022 and the STE-100 has told me it is possible to set the Diventix 8022 up to automatically switch between aspect ratios. I did not get around to verifying this before I removed the Diventix 8022 from my system.

As an additional experiment, a couple of weeks ago, I set the Analog Way STE-100 to output 1600 x 1200 pixels at 60 Hz. at a 4/3 aspect ratio to each projector. MP and I had tried this output resolution years ago (5 or 6 VIM/neckboard mod versions ago). We both agreed that 1400 x 1050 looked better with the then installed Marquee video chain. With the latest high bandwidth (300 MHz.) VIM and neckboard mods installed, I decided to give 1600 x 1200 at 60 Hz. another try. Upon switching to that output resolution, I had to re-set up the geometry of both projectors, and match the geometry of each projector to the other. The 1600 x 1200 output resolution puts out the best image I have ever seen on the Blend. I will stay with 1600 x 1200 at 60 Hz.

MP is working on a new set of modified neckboards for the Blend. (Yes, Eric, I'm still on the Mod Train.) This set will be up to the version that he currently has in his Marquee 8500 Ultra, that Kurt has in his Marquee 9500 Ultra, and that Justin has in his Marquee 8500 Ultra. This would also be the same version that the Fourth East Coast Blendzilla Meet attendees saw, but at the lower 1440 x 1080 at 60 Hz. output resolution. It will be very interesting to see 1600 x 1200 at 60 Hz. on this latest version of modified neckboards. I suspect this combination of hardware and software will put out the best image I have ever seen on The Blend.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!!

No tweaking, only watching today......................... Smile

Dr. Little Dog

Last edited by wkosmann on Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically you are outputting a total resolution of approximately 2880 x 1200; correct? I'm assuming a 10% overlap in the blend zone. If so, it sounds like the STE-100 is significantly upscaling the horizontal lines and only slightly the vertical. I guess that's the cleanest multiple of 1920.

In your case BW is not an issue at either resolution; the real benefit of the latest mods is linearity across the grayscale. The low level performance should enhance the depth of image. What VIM do you run?

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you change that noisy left chassis.? Or is that on the to do list.? Wink
wkosmann

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So basically you are outputting a total resolution of approximately 2880 x 1200; correct? I'm assuming a 10% overlap in the blend zone. If so, it sounds like the STE-100 is significantly upscaling the horizontal lines and only slightly the vertical. I guess that's the cleanest multiple of 1920.

In your case BW is not an issue at either resolution; the real benefit of the latest mods is linearity across the grayscale. The low level performance should enhance the depth of image. What VIM do you run?

Justin;

I am currently using a 200 pixel blend zone. So total horizontal pixels are (1600 x 2) - 200 = 3000.
Total vertical pixels are 1200, of course.

I was on a kick earlier this Fall to minimize the "unnecessary scaling, both vertical and horizontal" in my video chain. That's why I got Analog Way to creat the pair of custom output resolutions (1440 x 1080, and 1089 x 817). I tried each. In the end, I go by the eye test. 1440 x 1080 looked better than 1089 x 817. 1600 x 1200 looks better than 1440 x 1080. The STE-100 scaler seems to be good enough that the scaling doesn't matter.

I run 50-2035-03 VIMs, with the latest MP VIM mods in both projectors. I also have a 50-2035-03 VIM, at the same level of MP mods, as a spare. Some day, I would like to get one more -03 VIM as an additional spare.

William

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you change that noisy left chassis.? Or is that on the to do list.?

Hi Kurt. Peer still alive?

Changing the left noisy projector is still on the "To Do" list. Smile

Wanna come out and help?

William

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wkosmann wrote:
Quote:
Did you change that noisy left chassis.? Or is that on the to do list.?

Hi Kurt. Peer still alive?

Changing the left noisy projector is still on the "To Do" list. Smile

Wanna come out and help?

William

Yeah Per is working day and night to save up for the next trip.. Smile

Im not sure you want to wait for me, cant see any trips to your place in near future.. Looks like next stop will be Brazil.

Well not true, ill go to Copenhagen to pick up another Marquee 9500LC ULTRA soon..

Wink
wkosmann

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Im not sure you want to wait for me, cant see any trips to your place in near future.. Looks like next stop will be Brazil.

Well not true, ill go to Copenhagen to pick up another Marquee 9500LC ULTRA soon..

Well, good for Per. A little work never hurt anybody (except maybe you, once.)

Wait, Middleburg is on the way to Brazil (from Denmark).........................

But Middleburg is not on the way to Copenhagen (from Denmark).

Are you trying to break Steve's amatuer record number of spare Marquee chassis in residence?

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wkosmann wrote:
Quote:

Well, good for Per. A little work never hurt anybody (except maybe you, once.)

Wait, Middleburg is on the way to Brazil (from Denmark).........................

But Middleburg is not on the way to Copenhagen (from Denmark).

Are you trying to break Steve's amatuer record number of spare Marquee chassis in residence?

Steve started this humiliating my brother.. Ill end it.. Wink
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear, Dr. Dog!

If I could an animate, then I would do a Mod Train animation in the vein of Soul Train. Wink

How many 9500s does Steve have now?
wkosmann

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Great to hear, Dr. Dog!

If I could an animate, then I would do a Mod Train animation in the vein of Soul Train. Wink

How many 9500s does Steve have now?

Your Spanksterness;

Well, if it isn't my Meet meeting, home brew drinking, BBQ eating Florida bud. Long time no hear................

Steve should probably chime in and say how many Marquee chassis he has. Suffice it to say, one doesn't have too many fingers left over after using both hands to count them.

Of course, they are all in shipment from San Francisco to Santa Fe, as Steve moves from San Francisco to Santa Fe.

Dr. Little Dog

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, quick question: who was the guy that came down from Maryland? I think it was on the Saturday of the meet. He had another guy with him.
View user's photo album (21 photos)
wkosmann

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Uncle Will;

The old guy who came from Maryland was Mark Haflich. He brought a much younger guy, whose name I do not remember. The younger guy drove down from upstate New York. The younger guy was the guy who brought a couple of digital projectors. (Oh, the inhumanity.............)

Another guy came from Maryland. He was a college friend of Mark Seaton's. I don't remember his name either.

I'm not real good with names, or remembering random facts. Now if you want to know Newton's 3 Laws of Motion, or Maxwell's 4 Laws of Electricity and Magnetism, or Einstein's 2 postulates of General Relativity, or Galambos' 2 postulates of Volitional Physics, or my 2 postulates of All Knowledge, I can tell you off the top of my head.

You can probably find the names of everyone who attended by going back through the Meet thread. I do seem to remember posting lists of who was going to attend. I just finished a run, and I'm too tired to look it up. Besides, I have to go down to the HT tonight and tear apart the right projector, so I can take a bunch of boards over to MP to get them modified tomorrow.

Dr. Little Dog

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9
Jump to: