Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

DAMMIT! I need an A/V receiver (Onkyo 808 no audio problem)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Well if you don't use the HDMI board, then you'll never have the issue. Steve sent me a tech bulletin on the issues. They are complex, and not something the average person can do a workaround on. It includes changing the voltage regulator to reduce the voltage to the HDMI board by 0.1 volts (yes, that's right, 1/10 of a volt!) to help the HDNI chip run cooler.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Wow, so I guess you have golden ears and all of us who have Onkyo-Integra, as well as all the reviewers who have rated the Onkyo-Integra line very well - we're all just deaf, right? Rolling Eyes
I never said you guys were deaf, tin eared yes, deaf no Laughing

ecrabb wrote:
draganm wrote:
Why is everyone so stuck on HDMI audio connection anyway?
I bought a Denon 3805 off CL, like new for $160., and run 5.1 analog output from BD player to it for full Dolby HD. Man it sounds good Smile

That's nice. I'm happy for you that your nine year old AVR is working out well for you. What BD player are you using, and what D/A converter is it using? I'm sure it also has really powerful crossover, bass management, and room correction controls. Rolling Eyes
I'm sure it does sound good to you… Especially since I'm guessing you've never once had any other modern AVR (including the Onkyos you're trashing) in your room with which to compare to, right? Even if you did, I'd also bet you no doubt took no time whatsoever to learn about it or attempted to actually spend any time actually setting it up, right.

Some of us also like a clean, simple system - physically and operationally. Switch sources, the video switches, and the correct surround decoding mode is applied. Automatically. What do you do? Switch multiple routing devices, one for audio and one for video, or worse yet, jack around behind your pile of equipment swapping cables?

SC
yeah I switch all of my 2 sources manually on the receiver by turning a knob, it's a huge hassle. The video switches automatically thorough and HDMI splitter. My room is not "corrected" by any software algorithm because it doesn't need it. If you look at how room responds, all software can do is level out the peaks, which are all high frequencies and upper mid-range that are peaked in a room from hard surfaces, windows, wood floors and from a lack of acoustic corrections , bass traps, panels, etc.
it can't magically boost Bass frequencies that are canceling themselves out due to the rooms resonant frequency, length, width etc. So yeah, have a blast with your $1. Audessy microphone and Onkyo trash, it will probably do a better job than nothing at all. Wink
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this over Curt mentioning he needs a new AVR? Can't imagine what would happen if he suddenly posted a pic of his theater having a digital projector instead of a CRT Laughing

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
All this over Curt mentioning he needs a new AVR? Can't imagine what would happen if he suddenly posted a pic of his theater having a digital projector instead of a CRT Laughing
the first rule of fight-club is we never stop fighting Laughing
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
Jeremy112 wrote:
the first rule of fight-club is we never stop fighting Laughing

No no, it's don't talk about fight club Mr. Green

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Well if you don't use the HDMI board, then you'll never have the issue. Steve sent me a tech bulletin on the issues. They are complex, and not something the average person can do a workaround on. It includes changing the voltage regulator to reduce the voltage to the HDMI board by 0.1 volts (yes, that's right, 1/10 of a volt!) to help the HDNI chip run cooler.

I do use the HDMI board just not the pass through. The pass through allows a selected HDMI signal to pass through the receiver when the receiver is in standby. I would think that this would need the HDMI board to be powered up at all times to allow the HDMI signal to pass through. This would mean that the board doesn't get the chance to cool when in standby mode.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, true to Onkyo's word, they've sent me a foam lined shipping box with a prepaid address label to send the 818 back to them in for repair. Pretty impressive, let's see how fast I get it back.

My smaller backup Onkyo receiver packed it in too after a week, with intermittent audio. I want to see if that one qualifies as well.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Well, true to Onkyo's word, they've sent me a foam lined shipping box with a prepaid address label to send the 818 back to them in for repair. Pretty impressive, let's see how fast I get it back.
My smaller backup Onkyo receiver packed it in too after a week, with intermittent audio. I want to see if that one qualifies as well.
all it takes is one incident like this to completely kill a companies sales, so I'm guessing their marketing people are working overtime to smooth this over with consumers.
Only thing I ever sent back for warranty was a broken Trek bicycle frame, this was back when they still built their bikes in Wisconsin and offered lifetime warranties to the original purchaser. Took over 4 months to get it back.
I'm guessing this business model won't work for Honkyo under the present circumstances. If they're smart they'll have repaired boards ready to go on an exchange basis.
Come to think of it, they are probably contracting out to a completely different company to do the repairs. Where are you shipping to?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's going to a place called MTC in Ontario. If it's the same MTC as was out here, they were a dirt cheap TV 'manufacturing' company. Had a massive warehouse in Richmond BC for years. cranked out dirt cheap TVs that lasted to the warranty period, so who knows how this will turn out.

If nothing else, I didn't pay for the unit, nor am I paying to send it in. they even sent a roll of packing tape to tape the box up with!
epatsellis

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap, I better dig out my second hand (from the recyclers...) TX-NR1007....I knew there was a reason I didn't toss it.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting until I get this one back, I also have a 505 to send in.
epatsellis

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was in the batch they're repairing, box is on the way. I'll keep you informed as to the final outcome.
epatsellis

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, box arrived today and packed up, but can somebody explain how FedEx can manage to put a heck of a dent in an empty box....hopefully it's not a harbinger of how the 50+ pound box will be handled.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear the couriers and USPS are getting much worse. More claims this year than ever before, and I'm shipping less.
epatsellis

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less than a week turnaround, receiver doesn't lose network connectivity after a day and repair turned around in less than a week, including transit time. Onkyo may re-establish some customer good will, however reluctantly they undertook the solution.

erie
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Mine's not back yet.. knowing FedEx Canada, my receiver should be arriving at the service depot sometime right before Christmas. Very Happy

I'll post an update when I get mine back as well.
spoot

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the bake trick on my 3007.....a day or so before I found a thread saying Onkyo was covering some of them after warrenty expire. Oops. Ran for several months before I had to bake it again.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well mine just came back from Toronto's repair depot. Same box, seems to be in good shape. Will open it over the weekend, but I'm using Mac's Pioneer that he sold me
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: