Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

And so it starts- Barco 909 stack!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I may just go with them, as they are $100/pair. Worth that for the drivers alone.

I did finally narrow down the drifting issue that I posted a pix above. It's from the first projector I installed, I always thought it was the second one. I did notice on the first one that there's a high pitch 'chirp' once in a while from it, but didn't notice an issue in the picture. I demoed the stack for a customer last night that I sold a single 909 to a couple of years ago, and when we started, the pix was pretty bang on after a 30 minute warmup. As we were watching, I pulled up the satellite box channel menu, and saw the stack drift. At the same time, I heard that 'chirp', and saw various areas of the screen shift by a test pattern line thickness. It's weird, because it's at random places on the screen. I know I've swapped the SMPS and H output board, so this could be HV, or G2 board or ? Have lots of spare boards, so I just need to work on it over time.

Also, I have a problem that my surrounding trees are slightly affecting my reception due to growth, and I'm not spending $500+ to get them topped. The customer last night said that he switched back to cable from Bell satellite, as the amount of compression on Bell is insane, and he noticed a big difference when going back to cable, so that's where I'm headed.

So we're back to the norm at Chez Curt. Onkyo receiver is out for repair, Mac's Pioneer hasn't shown yet, one projector has a drifting issue, and right now I'm running analog audio outs from the satellite receiver into the L and R power amp channels so I have sound. Non Dolby 2.0. Yup, just about state of the art here. Very Happy
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
I may just go with them, as they are $100/pair. Worth that for the drivers alone.

I did finally narrow down the drifting issue that I posted a pix above. It's from the first projector I installed, I always thought it was the second one. I did notice on the first one that there's a high pitch 'chirp' once in a while from it, but didn't notice an issue in the picture. I demoed the stack for a customer last night that I sold a single 909 to a couple of years ago, and when we started, the pix was pretty bang on after a 30 minute warmup. As we were watching, I pulled up the satellite box channel menu, and saw the stack drift. At the same time, I heard that 'chirp', and saw various areas of the screen shift by a test pattern line thickness. It's weird, because it's at random places on the screen. I know I've swapped the SMPS and H output board, so this could be HV, or G2 board or ? Have lots of spare boards, so I just need to work on it over time.

Also, I have a problem that my surrounding trees are slightly affecting my reception due to growth, and I'm not spending $500+ to get them topped. The customer last night said that he switched back to cable from Bell satellite, as the amount of compression on Bell is insane, and he noticed a big difference when going back to cable, so that's where I'm headed.

So we're back to the norm at Chez Curt. Onkyo receiver is out for repair, Mac's Pioneer hasn't shown yet, one projector has a drifting issue, and right now I'm running analog audio outs from the satellite receiver into the L and R power amp channels so I have sound. Non Dolby 2.0. Yup, just about state of the art here. Very Happy

Tracking shows receiver delivered on Sat.. Didn't you go pick it up?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet, will head down this afternoon or tomorrow morning. Didn't get a notice that it came in..
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Curt,

what are your room measurements in meter (lenght x width) ?

thx
ElTopo

CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 16' X 24' or so if I remember correctly?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the drift is gone! Turned out one SMPS apparently had a bit of an issue. On a hunch I swapped it last night, and I saw no more drifting in the 2 hours that I watched it.

I won't even get into the 20 minutes I spent trying to get the one projector to work, but the classic 'is it plugged in?' question applied here. Very Happy
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which SMPS and was it making squeals and chirps with brightness changes?

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was totally at random. There's still some drifting, but it's not as bad as I thought. Not sure if it was the AC input board, or the SMPS, then the HV splitter died, so that got changed too, and no issues since. Will keep working on it, but it's all on ice for a couple of weeks now due to work.
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys and your Barco's Smile Wink
huggy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt
Why did you go with the Seymour XD and not the UF, I'm considering getting the UF only for the reason that I don't want to see the weave from where I sit, which is probably gonna be directly under the pj.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's what was recommended to me both by people here and their factory. I believe it's identical to what Cliff has, and it works great at his place.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newer UF material is a lower-gain material - 1.0 vs the XDs 1.2 gain. So, the UF is typically more appropriate for use with a digital where you have some brightness to burn and/or you have a very short viewing distance and there are concerns with the XD weave being visible.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
huggy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
The newer UF material is a lower-gain material - 1.0 vs the XDs 1.2 gain. So, the UF is typically more appropriate for use with a digital where you have some brightness to burn and/or you have a very short viewing distance and there are concerns with the XD weave being visible.

SC

Looks like its the XD then Very Happy
huggy

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt
How are you finding the noise on both running at the same time?

Dave
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sit in front of them, so it's not an issue, although the g/f did comment on the noise during Master and Commander. It will be (relatively) easy to install a hush box around the two sets and vent it to the outside, but that is wayy down the road at this point. Still haven't gotten the AT screen up.
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why dont you just install the variable fan speed boards in?

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cause it really doesn't make that much difference IMHO. Once I close off and vent the projos outside, the difference will be huge.
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something i found recently Curt that you may want to try, i redid the 17v pot but i set it to about 17.4v with a full white screen on 2048x1536 at 72 Hz, and it seems my drifting has reduced significantly, the focus is a bit tighter, and the black levels and contrast are better.

I dont know what you set yours on, but not only are the above improvements noticable, but the machine is also alot quieter and doesnt squeal so much.

Worth a look mate Wink

redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2048x1536 at 72 Hz? Yeah right Wink

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redfox001 wrote:
2048x1536 at 72 Hz? Yeah right Wink

Before you post, go and check the internal patterns...

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 12 of 18
Jump to: