Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

value of Runco VX-5000D that needs new bulb

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr_ro_co

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: value of Runco VX-5000D that needs new bulb Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Gentlemen,

Any idea what the street value is of a vintage 2007 Runco VX-5000D that needs a bulb? A buddy just replaced it with a JVC 4190 and doesn't know what to do with the Runco.

THANKS!

Steve

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much worthless at this point. There's two on ebay right now starting at $740, and none have sold in the last 90 days.

I'd say $100-200 maybe?
mr_ro_co

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's about what I figured.

Steve

Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

without a lamp, and if you could find someone who wanted the "runco" $100 at best. There have been nice condition VX-1000D 720p runcos that work fine with the Video processor and remote for $150 and below that no one touched on ebay and on a-gon.

Runco's are for those who like to spend a lot of money, thinking that their $25,000 purchase is ultimately superior to the lesser consumer projectors that cost far far less.

I have a runco... I traded a Reel to Reel that needed work for it, but I don't think I'd have paid for it Razz

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he should just keep it for his kid to play video games or something.

Steve

HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
without a lamp, and if you could find someone who wanted the "runco" $100 at best. There have been nice condition VX-1000D 720p runcos that work fine with the Video processor and remote for $150 and below that no one touched on ebay and on a-gon.

Runco's are for those who like to spend a lot of money, thinking that their $25,000 purchase is ultimately superior to the lesser consumer projectors that cost far far less.

I have a runco... I traded a Reel to Reel that needed work for it, but I don't think I'd have paid for it Razz

In fairness, Runco's digital projectors had real added value for those who could afford them. They usually had interchangeable, high-end optics, anamorphic options, and models that offered some serious light output for very big screens. They were only sold through Runco's dealer network which usually offered very good in-house customer service when there were any issues. The target demographic was rich people who simply wanted to pay someone else to install/service these things and not have to worry about doing anything themselves aside from watching the projector. Essentially almost the opposite of the DIY crowd that you mostly see here.

Despite the great optics, the 5000D was first released in 2003, which means it had one of the early (most likely HD2) DMDs. Almost any DMD produced today - even the cheap 0.65" 720p ones used in budget projectors - are superior except maybe in terms of sharpness. I agree with everyone else in that this is probably worth almost nothing, despite its 1500 lumen output.

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
mr_ro_co

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my buddy just gave me it so now I own this big paperweight. Anyone know where I can get a light bulb for this thing? I'm thinking it will be useful for drawing test patterns to converge my Marquee on as well as outdoor bbq / hot tub parties.

Very Happy

Maybe Mac knows where I can get a cheap bulb. Wink

Steve

HogPilot

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_ro_co wrote:
Well, my buddy just gave me it so now I own this big paperweight. Anyone know where I can get a light bulb for this thing? I'm thinking it will be useful for drawing test patterns to converge my Marquee on as well as outdoor bbq / hot tub parties.

Very Happy

Steve

Nice! You'll have fun playing with it. Despite the fact that I'm sure Mac is feverishly working at this moment to help you with your bulb search...I'll see what I can find just in case that doesn't pan out. Wink

If you decide to search on your own, you need to assure that it's an OEM lamp, not just a "replacement" lamp made by a manufacturer other than the OEM. The market is flooded with non-OEM replacement lamps that are cheap and usually fail quickly. Also, buying the lamp already mounted in the ballast is more expensive than buying just a bare lamp that you can easily put into the existing ballast. Finding bare lamps is a hit-or-miss prospect, but it's a great way to save money.

SC
mr_ro_co

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HogPilot wrote:
mr_ro_co wrote:

Very Happy

Steve

Nice! You'll have fun playing with it. Despite the fact that I'm sure Mac is feverishly working at this moment to help you with your bulb search...I'll see what I can find just in case that doesn't pan out. Wink

If you decide to search on your own, you need to assure that it's an OEM lamp, not just a "replacement" lamp made by a manufacturer other than the OEM. The market is flooded with non-OEM replacement lamps that are cheap and usually fail quickly. Also, buying the lamp already mounted in the ballast is more expensive than buying just a bare lamp that you can easily put into the existing ballast. Finding bare lamps is a hit-or-miss prospect, but it's a great way to save money.

Good info! Appreciate the help!

Steve

HogPilot

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_ro_co wrote:
HogPilot wrote:
mr_ro_co wrote:

Very Happy

Steve

Good info! Appreciate the help!

Steve

No problem. After a cursory search it looks like the only stores selling lamps are the usual shady suspects. One place that you'll be guaranteed to have success with is AVS, they can get you OEM lamps (almost always in the ballast) for just about any projector. I just read a thread on their forums about replacement lamps for the VX4000D, and it looks like the replacements in 2008 ranged between $700-$950. That sounds about right for a Runco, especially one putting out 1500 lumens.

SC
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are just to funny. Laughing I can see what I find find if you are being serious. Oh, and hog, it is called the lamp housing, not the ballast. The ballast is a separate board in the projector. But maybe you just mistyped. Very Happy
HogPilot

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
You guys are just to funny. Laughing I can see what I find find if you are being serious. Oh, and hog, it is called the lamp housing, not the ballast. The ballast is a separate board in the projector. But maybe you just mistyped. Very Happy

Oh there you are! I thought you'd scurried away after you never replied in the zombie thread - glad to see that you're still hanging around doing all these good deeds Laughing

And don't worry, we all mistype ^ Mr. Green

SC

Last edited by HogPilot on Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
HogPilot

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and thanks for the help with the terminology.

^^See, that's how you do that - not too hard, right?

SC
mr_ro_co

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:

Totally serious, Mac! Would certainly welcome your help.

Steve

Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to send me the lamp/lamp housing, I can see if I have a genuine Philips/osram lamp here to re-lamp it. The lamp would be used (about 200-300 hours at most), but better than a cheapie, and it'll be the real deal.

Won't cost you any more than a knock off, and it'll be the real deal. I have a few hundred lamps lying around and I wouldn't mind getting rid of some of them Smile

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
If you want to send me the lamp/lamp housing, I can see if I have a genuine Philips/osram lamp here to re-lamp it. The lamp would be used (about 200-300 hours at most), but better than a cheapie, and it'll be the real deal.

Won't cost you any more than a knock off, and it'll be the real deal. I have a few hundred lamps lying around and I wouldn't mind getting rid of some of them Smile

Thanks, interesting option. I'll shoot you a PM.

Steve

HogPilot

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:

That's awesome, how do you have such a stockpile of lamps? You could make some good money selling those, especially if they're for old or out-of-date projectors.

SC
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HogPilot wrote:
Jeremy112 wrote:

That's awesome, how do you have such a stockpile of lamps? You could make some good money selling those, especially if they're for old or out-of-date projectors.

If you saw my basement you'd probably have a heart attack from all the projectors & equipment Razz I get these with projector pallets I purchase, I'd sell them, but it never hurts to have them around for stock in case a machine comes in and it needs a lamp to test it Smile

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
HogPilot wrote:
Jeremy112 wrote:

If you saw my basement you'd probably have a heart attack from all the projectors & equipment Razz I get these with projector pallets I purchase, I'd sell them, but it never hurts to have them around for stock in case a machine comes in and it needs a lamp to test it Smile

Well, if I ever find myself in need of a lamp - in housing or bare - I'll be sure to hit you up Smile

Do you have any xenon lamps? Those things are worth some serious coin.

SC
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually only have a few of those, one for a JVC G20U, and a couple for some Christie/sanyo projectors. Otherwise the rest are the usual run of the mill projector lamp Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: