Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony or Optoma?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
szp72

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:36 am    Post subject: Sony or Optoma? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Since my Cine 7 has just passed away (and I'm not very confident that I can repair it), I'm looking for digital alternatives.
I have a motorized 4:3 screen with a 2m base, and I'm watching it at 3.5 m. That's about 90" (in 16:9), so not a big screen.

My setup is VGA/component based: computer RGBHV and HD-Fury 3 with component output. It's almost impossible to change the cables, so I would buy a vprj that could handle these inputs (I'm not interested in 3D).

I read a lot of good things about JVC, but it seems they have dropped vga input, so I'm considering the following models:
1) Sony VPL-HW55E
2) Sony VPL-HW40ES
3) Optoma HD91
4) Epson HE-TW9200W

Each unit has its advantages and disadvantages.

Epson has very good blacks and also has embedded wireless hdmi converter; it's LCD though, so dust problems apply, and it seems very noisy especially when ceiling mounted (as is my case).

The Optoma is not so good with blacks, but has an outstanding 20.000 h declared duration for its light sources (led) and a vga/component db15 port that I could connect my Zektor HD4.2 to. It is not very bright, but I'm used to CRT (my room is completely dark), so this should not be a problem; I calculated a distance of about 3 m from the lens to my screen, so the "tele" version would probably be better (it's better to romain in the wide settings and don't lose brightness). I also like the 0-warming time (and the 0-cooling time), and the low noise.

The Sony VPL-HW40ES seems a best buy; it is only missing the Iris (available in HW55E), which should enhance blacks. Both the 40 and the 55 have 2000 h lasting lamps; time is extended to 5000 h in eco-mode, according to the specs.

What would you suggest and why?

Thank you.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are buying used then I would go with the Sony.
Mr. Green

TV/Projector: Marquee 9501LC / NEC 9PG+

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If price is comparable I'd also go Sony... be aware of replacement bulb cost. Blacks won't be cine 7, but you will get plug n play ease. My wife wants the marquee back up and running, but my Sony digital is getting us back in the theater while it sits.

Current Projector Marquee9501LC with PS3 (BLu-Ray) at 1080P LOVE IT! Screen is an Elunevision 120" 4:3 (2.4 gain - no hotspots). (also own a NEC 9PG+)
View user's photo album (28 photos)
szp72

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I'm considering only new gear: I'm not the kind that like changes, and putting up something brand new should give me more time before considering another replacement! (Lazy, lazy..)

My choices are very "fluid" at the moment Smile

Actually, from my first message (when I was leaning towards the Sony 55ES) I'm now strongly oriented towards the JVC X500R; it's pricey, almost two times the Sony, but it's nearer to the Cine 7 I have (even for the price tag, considering how much I paid the Barco!).
Spending good money without being satisfied it's a no-go for me, I prefer shelling out what it takes instead of mumbling all the time at picture quality when I'm watching my movies.. Smile

I can run the X500 in eco mode, I'm used to very low brightness with the Barco, so the lamp should last about 4000 hours, which is 3.5 years considering a 3 hour use everyday, which is what I was using the Cine 7 (10.000 hours on the tubes / 3 h per day = 9.13 years; I had it for about 10 years). I will have to pass hdmi cables, that will be the hardest thing to do, but that was needed anyway, one day or the other.

The X500 is a real beast, very comparable to CRT quality of picture, including colours and black level.
I'll start looking around for a good offer.

In general, for this kind of projectors, should I consider buying a spare lamp in a year or two, just to be sure that I can get a replacement?
What is the reccomended cleaning/maintainance on these kind of projectors? Open it up and remove dust once every 6-12 months?

TIA.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you have to worry about it being dim even in the lowest setting compared to a CRT. There was one set up with an anamorphic lens at the meet this weekend. It was more than a match for the blend brightness wise. I think Crabb probably can give better info on the brightness between the JVC and a CRT.

I have heard that the latest JVC will go a long time on a bulb. I wouldn't worry about buying a bulb, as they will be available for years.

If you call Mike Garrett at AVS, then you could get the Cedia special on the JVC RS4910. It is around $4k and comes with an extra lamp.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware that if you've put 10K hours on a Barco Cine 7 in 10 years, give or take), expect 3-5 years out of a digital, or 3 bulb lives. Nothing is built to last, and I'm starting to see very late model digitals coming in that are writeoffs. Sony does not do board repair, only board replacements, and a typical repair estimate from Sony is $3000-5000. I've heard that from 3 customers now sending late model sets to Sony for repair.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Beware that if you've put 10K hours on a Barco Cine 7 in 10 years, give or take), expect 3-5 years out of a digital, or 3 bulb lives. Nothing is built to last, and I'm starting to see very late model digitals coming in that are writeoffs. Sony does not do board repair, only board replacements, and a typical repair estimate from Sony is $3000-5000. I've heard that from 3 customers now sending late model sets to Sony for repair.

I heard there is some other guy repairing Sonys a lot cheaper. Laughing
Mr. Green

TV/Projector: Marquee 9501LC / NEC 9PG+

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going new, see if you can get a deal where they toss in a free spare bulb along with a price discount.

Current Projector Marquee9501LC with PS3 (BLu-Ray) at 1080P LOVE IT! Screen is an Elunevision 120" 4:3 (2.4 gain - no hotspots). (also own a NEC 9PG+)
View user's photo album (28 photos)
szp72

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the tips, it's gonna take time to find a good deal... and right now I've discovered a blown fuse on the power board of the Barco, so I'll try changing the fuse first and see if I can squeeze a few more hours from my current gear Smile

I wish that laser light sources were available on home theater JVC projectors; but then again the price would be way higher and just equivalent to paying in advance 2-3 UHP lamps (that is probably the expected lifetime of the projector, so it would not be game changing, at least for the time being).
I have installed for a customer one of the recent LED/laser Panny (PT-RW430), but image quality is definetely computer-grade; works ok for presentations, but I would never choose it for movies. So I'm still in with the JVC, if my Barco remains dead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: